• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight/Early Morning Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuna84

Firstly, Mods please feel free to move if this is not in the appropriate section. A few nights ago, I believe 2 or 3, struggling to remember which, I awoke in the night, as did my girlfriend, to the sound of what appeared to be a very slow moving (freight?) train, with relatively frequent sounds of a horn, though was more an electronic sound than the usual horn sound, although I am not familiar with the new Class 70 locos etc. We live in the Ovaltine Factory just north of Kings Langley station, so could anybody enlighten me to what train/diagram this was, it is the first time we have heard this noise. It was a very slow moving train, taking over 20 minutes to go from earshot I would say. I am unsure of the exact time, but was definitely in the early hours in the Kings Langley area, around 2-3 nights ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boodiggy

Hi Cuna84
The High Output Ballast Cleaner (HOBC) has been in the area, it could have been this or a tamper following it up to remove the speed restriction that is imposed following HOBC works. The HOBC excavates ballast to clean and removes ballast that is no good and fills the track with new and serviceable ballast.

cuna84

Ah ok, that does sound like a logical answer, I guess the electronic 2 tone noise I heard would have been linked to the machinery operating as the train progressed?

Boodiggy

Yes, the train has various noises going off while working and flashing lights. It's a very noisy piece of kit!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure if it is there tonight I know it was between Kings Langley and Apsley last night. It is at Leighton Buzzard Saturday night and between Cheddington and Ledburn next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.