• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overseas Disabled Passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

matabiau

I will be travelling by train in the UK this summer and would like to know if my french disability card will be recognised in the UK for access to priority seats on crowded trains? It has Priorité and Handicapé written on it which should not need translating and has photo, name, date-of-birth etc..
I would be grateful for any advice from members of this forum who have already come accross this in the past or are aware of the train operating companies policies on the matter.
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dquebec

That card will mean absolutely nothing in the UK.

Make a (free) seat reservation at least the day before - if possible.

Otherwise, if you don't have an obvious disability, it is unlikely that anyone will give their seat up for you sadly.

Nobody is specifically entitled to a priority seat on a train.

LowLevel

Established Member
Priority seats are extremely difficult to handle. Who am I to say the person occupying them hasn't got a hidden disability. Several times I've had people tell me I've 'got to tell them to move for me' and I always refuse advising them to have a quiet word themselves. The only exceptions being the ones in the wheelchair space.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If you feel your going to need a bit of help at the station and/or bording or alighting your service then you can book help through each TOCS Passenger Assist service, details from TOCs websites or national rail enquiries. Booking at least 24hrs ahead is advisable

Status
Not open for further replies.