• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Circus Bakerloo/Victoria interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfoxcc

Looking at the London Metro line map it seems that the north and southbound lines are 'cross platform' changes, although the app first off the tube app' suggests that the only way is from Car 1 door 4 and straight instead of saying 'any' as it does on other side by side lines
As the ITK realise the best exits for Kings Cross Main Line on all three tube lines are the rear cars northbound and leading cars southbound which put you in the old ticket hall am i in for a bit of a schlep at Oxford Circus?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As the ITK realise the best exits for Kings Cross Main Line on all three tube lines are the rear cars northbound and leading cars southbound which put you in the old ticket hall am i in for a bit of a schlep at Oxford Circus?
I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say here; are you asking what car to be in when travelling from Oxford Circus to Kings Cross on the Victoria line? If so unless you require the lift, you want to be by the very last set of doors on the Northbound Victoria line to exit or interchange at Kings Cross.

avid2424

It is not clear whether OP is changing between two northbound lines or between two southbound lines or switching between northbound line on one and southbound line on other

Looking at the London Metro line map it seems that the north and southbound lines are 'cross platform' changes, although the app first off the tube app' suggests that the only way is from Car 1 door 4 and straight instead of saying 'any' as it does on other side by side lines
They are cross-platform interchanges, but they are not really an island platform in the same sense as Barons Court and Acton Town, for example. Whilst you do not have to go up or down any stairs, you still have to traverse a short corridor to get from the Vic to the Bakerloo. It's a corridor that takes a mere couple of seconds to leisurely walk down, making it extremely easy, but to enable access to ways out and other interchanges, these short corridors aren't located down the length of the entire platform.

avid2424

The short corridors are re switching between northbound Bakerloo and northbound Victoria

Likewise for switching between the two southbound lines

The short corridors are built with a slight zigzag to prevent you seeing whether there is a train waiting

The OP refers to straight (across) so possibly there is one short corridor that does not have a zigzag, and saves a fraction of a millisecond. So perhaps making it the best choice. Unless of course everyone else is using the same app, and jamming up that corridor

There are only a few short corridors so in many instances the train doors will not line up with a corridor

silverfoxcc

Apologies for writing northbound and southbound.. should have been both northbound.. Congrats to the chaps who saw that and
confirmed it is a cross platform interchange via cross corridors
Much appreciated

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If changing at Oxford Circus from a northbound Bakerloo to a northbound Victoria, intending to then get a mainline train from Kings Cross after the short run on the Vic Line, my advice - based on having done that journey frequently for decades, is as follows:
If possible (ie unless you arrive on a Bakerloo platform just as a train is there and have to jump in where you are to avoid missing the train) get in the front carriage of the Bakerloo. At Oxford Circus, the second set of doors from the front will be opposite a cross-passage which leads (with a very slight zig-zag) to the northbound Victoria in a matter of seconds. Unless there's a Victoria in the platform and hence you dive straight on, then walk to the rear of the platform while you're waiting for the train. Going up the escalators to the old booking hall, from the passage accessed from the rear end of the northbound Victoria, will indeed - as your advice says - be the quickest way to get out to the mainline stations - and indeed to the main road. (The "southern" end of any of the deep tubes at Kings Cross always gives the quickest access to interchange with another line, and to reach the outside world.)

Kite159

Veteran Member
The short corridors are built with a slight zigzag to prevent you seeing whether there is a train waiting
There is at least one corridor on the southbound side which is straight. Near the 3rd car from the front.

Which is annoying when you see a Bakerloo service pulling out just as you pull in and by the time you reach the platform the next service is in 10 minutes

pelli

Ianvisits published, in 2015, a set of axonometric diagrams of "underground Undergound" stations obtained from a Freedom of Information request to TfL. Here is a cropped version of the lower levels of Oxford Circus, showing the various cross-passages:
oxford-circus-midlevel_crop.jpg
get in the front carriage of the Bakerloo. At Oxford Circus, the second set of doors from the front will be opposite a cross-passage which leads (with a very slight zig-zag) to the northbound Victoria in a matter of seconds. Unless there's a Victoria in the platform and hence you dive straight on, then walk to the rear of the platform while you're waiting for the train.
Wanting to end up at the very back of the northbound Victoria train, why is the very front of the northbound Bakerloo the best place to alight from? I don't have the local knowledge, but the axonometric diagram appears to show two straight cross-passages around the middle of the platforms, and a not-too-much-longer link at the very back. (Is the front end closer, or less congested?)

Ken H

On Moderation
When the Victoria line was built, there was already some cross platform interchanges on the LT system. Pleaces like Queens Park, Finchley Road. New ones were added for the Victoria Line, at Finsbury Park, Drayton Park and Oxford Circus. Because travellers had to go through short tunnels when changing, the term used was 'same level', indicating there were no stairs, lifts for escalators, just a short walk through a connecting passage.
The lack of proper cross platform interchanges was often due to the presence of other underground works and deep foundations.

stuu

Established Member
Ianvisits published, in 2015, a set of axonometric diagrams of "underground Undergound" stations obtained from a Freedom of Information request to TfL. Here is a cropped version of the lower levels of Oxford Circus, showing the various cross-passages:
View attachment 144956

Wanting to end up at the very back of the northbound Victoria train, why is the very front of the northbound Bakerloo the best place to alight from? I don't have the local knowledge, but the axonometric diagram appears to show two straight cross-passages around the middle of the platforms, and a not-too-much-longer link at the very back. (Is the front end closer, or less congested?)
Congestion, the exits are towards the south end. Although it's not really that big a problem except at the busiest times. Being at the back of the Victoria line train is sound advice though

AlbertBeale

Established Member
View attachment 144956

Various reasons for suggesting the front end for the Oxford Circus change - especially because it's the easiest and quickest place to make the change between platforms, and on the majority of occasions there's time to walk down the Victoria platform while waiting for your connection. Also, suggesting one end of a train is anyway easier than expecting someone to count carriages. (Yes, there is a link at the south end - but it's longer, more indirect, against the flow of people arriving on the Bakerloo from the Central [in a narrow space], and it's signed "emergency exit only" with no indication which other lines if any it leads to; so fine if you're a local and know what you're doing, but not a good suggestion for others.

My own behaviour depends on which station I join the Bakerloo at, and whether or not a train is imminent (I have quite a sophisticated "internal algorithm" to work out which decision at each point in my journey is statistically most likely to give me the quickest journey, based on years of experience). However, when a non-local asks for suggestions, I always give one clear set of instructions (not an "if this, then that") which will be straightforward to carry out - ie unambiguous - and which will, in my experience, be likely to give a quicker (even if not always the quickest) journey.

Magdalia

Established Member
Here is a cropped version of the lower levels of Oxford Circus, showing the various cross-passages:
Thanks for this. It is such a long time ago that I used the deep level tube that I no longer trusted my memory of what it was like.

In those days interchange at Oxford Circus was my preferred route between Kings Cross and Waterloo. Going northbound I used to go to the back of the Bakerloo train then walk through the passageway at the back end, which was signposted as the walking route for interchange to the Central Line. This went backwards, next to the northbound Bakerloo Line, for a very short distance, then turned a right angle at which point the Victoria Line could be seen straight ahead.

This worked fine unless a Victoria Line train arrived at the wrong moment, meeting with a tide of people interchanging between the Victoria Line and either Central or Bakerloo Line coming the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.