• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Corridor Phase 2 & Platform 5 updates

SynthD

I don't see any plans for another overbridge or a tunnel within the station. Electrification is entirely left for the future, no talk of mast foundations in what I've read so far.

Phase 2D pays for a new Sheepwash bridge and "Co-op nursery building remodelling" on the north east side. The nursery may move.

There are three substantially different generated images for the new entrance building in the same document.

The footbridge to the south, Osney Lane, will be closed for a short time. I hope it is improved before Botley Road is closed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
I saw a NR presentation about this a few years ago that suggested P5 would effectively be the main through platform, with the faster S&C on entry in the down direction, and P4 would have slower entry and exit. Using P4 to terminate down trains could also mean a conflict free departure from P4 back towards the south.

I think this is also whats suggested in the layout information just linked by @Snow1964

This is how I see it, platform 5 will be for northbound trains, so that platform 4 (current one) could be used for terminating and reversals. It is of course always better to have this in the middle as don’t have to cross other lines.

The other thing to notice (see photo on page 11) is the extra bridge span is quite a long way east, (about double the distance from the current footbridge over Botley Road), the span is aligned so don’t have to demolish existing station building and it could stay and be on the island platform if the southbound loop is built. Would loose some parking, and not sure about the building (marked TOC accommodation on plan page 11) at North East end (although that looks a bit prefab anyway, so might even be relocatable)

JamesT

Established Member
This is how I see it, platform 5 will be for northbound trains, so that platform 4 (current one) could be used for terminating and reversals. It is of course always better to have this in the middle as don’t have to cross other lines.

The other thing to notice (see photo on page 11) is the extra bridge span is quite a long way east, (about double the distance from the current footbridge over Botley Road), the span is aligned so don’t have to demolish existing station building and it could stay and be on the island platform if the southbound loop is built. Would loose some parking, and not sure about the building (marked TOC accommodation on plan page 11) at North East end (although that looks a bit prefab anyway, so might even be relocatable)

Isn't the Eastern-most bridge span the new footbridge? The drawing on page 7 states provision for another span as part of 'Phase 3'.
The Council's Masterplan for redevelopment https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20359/building_projects/949/oxford_station_masterplan shows what they're envisaging from a full rebuild. That shows the station extending over the bridge and one big span, which has been superseded by the NR Phase 2 works, I wouldn't think NR would have any intention of making changes to the bridge(s) they put in next year for decades to come.

cle

Established Member
So from the western entrance, would you need to enter the station, up to p4/5 and then go up over the existing footbridge to reach P1-3?

For the longer term station building plans, where did they settle on the 'Chiltern bays' - retaining both, or constructing new a through line (having two through lines on that side), plus one bay towards EWR? Or two?

And will a southern end bay (up/Didcot end of the main platform 3) ever come back to the table? I recall that was planned and then cancelled. Is it needed, given trains are longer/electric and those would be the 387s or whatever which turn at p4, according to this thread?

JamesT

Established Member
So from the western entrance, would you need to enter the station, up to p4/5 and then go up over the existing footbridge to reach P1-3?
If you want to enter from that entrance, yes. As that entrance will probably be less busy, it might still be quicker than carrying on under the rail bridge and entering the existing station entrance.

For the longer term station building plans, where did they settle on the 'Chiltern bays' - retaining both, or constructing new a through line (having two through lines on that side), plus one bay towards EWR? Or two?

And will a southern end bay (up/Didcot end of the main platform 3) ever come back to the table? I recall that was planned and then cancelled. Is it needed, given trains are longer/electric and those would be the 387s or whatever which turn at p4, according to this thread?
The Masterplan design shows Platform 2 being extended into a through line and Platform 1 retained as a bay.
Most of the aspirations are for more through services rather than terminating. e.g. GWR extending to Long Hanborough and Chiltern/EWR extending to the Cowley branch. Also having two through platforms in each direction makes for less of a problem if you do terminate a service in a through platform, as other services can use the other platform rather than waiting outside the station.
So no plans for a South-facing bay and no real need for one if they get the rebuild done.

SynthD

The plans for this (stage 2) suggest that EWR will terminate on the west side.

Stage 3, the Oxford Masterplan, answers some of these questions but that may be out of the scope of this thread. One terminating platform for Chiltern and a new overbridge just north o Botley Road are on SPD 3 page 13-14. It shows new buildings in place of the TOC building and where the south facing bay would be.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The Masterplan design shows Platform 2 being extended into a through line and Platform 1 retained as a bay.
Most of the aspirations are for more through services rather than terminating. e.g. GWR extending to Long Hanborough and Chiltern/EWR extending to the Cowley branch. Also having two through platforms in each direction makes for less of a problem if you do terminate a service in a through platform, as other services can use the other platform rather than waiting outside the station.
Concur, and that’s been known fairly consistently for quite a while, NR drawings from 2013, (that I saw in another forum), also explained that it would be current P2 that would be extended to give a through platform.

cle

Established Member
EWR and Chiltern are the same line. It splits after Islip.
Clearly, what's your point? One exists today and is the sole active use of said bays, the other was in my piece about the future.

Ack, I can't edit and then quote.

Reason I said EWR specifically was also as Chiltern to Cowley has been mentioned, and would likely run on a new P2 if made a through line.
I'm curious if P1 would be a new bay on the P2/3 island - I suppose - or there would be a newer build (mini-terminus + station building) on that side, or how a station building would work with a running line right there - vs being a direct platform to street/building set-up as today.

All points to through running, and Hanborough (Cambridge North!) crops up a lot.

JamesT

Established Member
Clearly, what's your point? One exists today and is the sole active use of said bays, the other was in my piece about the future.

Ack, I can't edit and then quote.

Reason I said EWR specifically was also as Chiltern to Cowley has been mentioned, and would likely run on a new P2 if made a through line.
I'm curious if P1 would be a new bay on the P2/3 island - I suppose - or there would be a newer build (mini-terminus + station building) on that side, or how a station building would work with a running line right there - vs being a direct platform to street/building set-up as today.

All points to through running, and Hanborough (Cambridge North!) crops up a lot.
I would highly recommend reading through the masterplan documents linked from https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20359/building_projects/949/oxford_station_masterplan
A though P2 would be running through where the current station building is, so a complete replacement is proposed based around a big new overbridge rather than the cramped one we currently have.

mr_jrt

Established Member
For the short of time, many many years ago I aligned and scaled the images from the Oxford masterplan with what's currently there and dropped them into a pdf, which serves as a handy flipbook, of sorts.
Oxford Diagram PDF

Benjwri

Established Member
For the short of time, many many years ago I aligned and scaled the images from the Oxford masterplan with what's currently there and dropped them into a pdf, which serves as a handy flipbook, of sorts.
Oxford Diagram PDF
The idea of a sixth through platform seems to have been dropped unfortunately, the most up to date plan I believe is the City Council SPD here, particularly part 3, which goes as far into detail as interior building layout. Part 4 shows what they are still tweaking in the masterplan, which is very minor building alignment.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I don't believe 6 were ever proposed. The last page in the PDF was just my own crayoning to argue 6 + a bay or two were feasible. The official plan back then was always 4 though lines + bays, with potential for 5 through lines at most.

cle

Established Member
It seems like 4 through lines (with a mix of bi-directional and terminating on P2/3/4) with the upcoming new p5 as a main through northbound (towards Hanborough/Banbury at least).

Plenty still to be determined; wires, main station rebuild, P2, P1 bay solo (or a pair P0?), Cowley, Hanborough wires, phased EWR rolling in but likely to be 3-4tph minimum - interesting times for change at Oxford.

Oxfordblues

As a cyclist who regularly rides under the Botley Road rail bridge I can confirm that it is sub-optimal in terms of safety. I know neighbours here in West Oxford who won't cycle into town because of the perceived risk. People drive into Oxford because it's safer than cycling and the huge number of cars on Botley Road contributes to the hazard. The new, wider bridge will help change that.

BrianW

Established Member
As a cyclist who regularly rides under the Botley Road rail bridge I can confirm that it is sub-optimal in terms of safety. I know neighbours here in West Oxford who won't cycle into town because of the perceived risk. People drive into Oxford because it's safer than cycling and the huge number of cars on Botley Road contributes to the hazard. The new, wider bridge will help change that.
Proposed edit- The new bridge should/may be some help ...
Maybe stop all roads into Oxford at Park-and-Rides? OLEZ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Proposed edit- The new bridge should/may be some help ...
Maybe stop all roads into Oxford at Park-and-Rides? OLEZ?

I'd expect a ZEZ in Oxford city centre before too long, indeed I think it may be first with one, but being clouted by an electric SUV when you're cycling still hurts.

BrianW

Established Member
I'd expect a ZEZ in Oxford city centre before too long, indeed I think it may be first with one, but being clouted by an electric SUV when you're cycling still hurts.
It's a while since I was last in Oxford; has the YHA building gone yet?

Seems a poor exchange- a sedum roof instead of 203 beds every night for relatively poor people adjacent a well-served station and cycle routes.

'Oxford's YHA is spic, span and purpose-built, offering a prime location, spacious rooms and hearty food for a bargain price. It's a functional but friendly spot with good facilities, making it the best budget option in town.'

JamesT

Established Member
The ZEZ pilot started earlier this year, but currently covers only a tiny area. I’m not sure when the expansion to cover the whole city centre will happen.

Seems a poor exchange- a sedum roof instead of 203 beds every night for relatively poor people adjacent a well-served station and cycle routes.
They haven’t visibly started work on the station yet, approval was only recently granted. I think the expansion of capacity from having two through Northbound platforms is well worth losing the hostel. The current station is a bottleneck that affects thousands of people every day.
It is a good location for the hostel currently, but it’s a relatively modern building so they weren’t always there. I think there’s some empty office buildings on Park End Street nearby, there might be the possibility of converting them into a new hostel if they don’t want to move far.

BrianW

Established Member

ZEZ here; extension (almost) to station under consultation; and to Waitrose car parking not far beyond (speculation?).

And bearing in mind considerations at Marylebone in adjoining streets (and voluble neghgbours, and councillors) and with increasing concerns re liability for health impacts I see 'the railway' having to deal with its emissions; hence increasing/ renewed impetus re electrification 'low hanging fruit'.

Falcon1200

Established Member
It is a good location for the hostel currently, but it’s a relatively modern building so they weren’t always there.

Considering that having only two through platforms has made Oxford 'An Operational Problem' (the title of an article in a Railway Magazine - from 1954 !) for decades, it's bizarre that the building was ever allowed there.

The exile

Established Member

'Oxford's YHA is spic, span and purpose-built, offering a prime location, spacious rooms and hearty food for a bargain price. It's a functional but friendly spot with good facilities, making it the best budget option in town.'
I assume the YH will be replaced….

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I assume the YH will be replaced….
You‘d expect so, but it’ll be outside the project area. Once YHA have received their agreed sum for the compulsory purchase I suppose they‘ll be happy, AIUI they withdrew their objections a year ago. I’ve not seen any news on a possible new location yet?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You‘d expect so, but it’ll be outside the project area. Once YHA have received their agreed sum for the compulsory purchase I suppose they‘ll be happy, AIUI they withdrew their objections a year ago. I’ve not seen any news on a possible new location yet?

They are very short of money after their mainstay, dorm accommodation with shared facilities, was non viable for nearly 18 months. So I would be surprised to see a replacement any time soon unless they are donated a suitable building. They are certainly unlikely to be in a position to buy one.

oxfordrelayer

Only reason I can think of is that if there are other works that need doing in the area, it might be better to have fewer total closures than more minor ones. Especially if they do a blockade and the proper rail replacement and advertising job, rather than the useless fare one gets on a single weekend closure.

Heard a whisper that the Botley road will be just for Bus and cycle use -dont know how true that is

JamesT

Established Member
Heard a whisper that the Botley road will be just for Bus and cycle use -dont know how true that is
It's nonsense, they've only just been rebuilding Botley Road to put more cycle paths in.
https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/central-oxfordshire-travel-plan is the County Council's plan. There are more bus gates planned, but not on Botley Road.
Though the proposed gates on Hythe Bridge Street and Thames Street will reduce the numbers coming down Botley Road trying to get to other parts of the city.

gallafent

BrianW

Established Member
Lots more on this and all sorts of other stuff relating to transport (including the railway, Cowley Branch, etc.) in https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/central-oxfordshire-travel-plan (oops, just seen this already posted earlier in the week, apologies @JamesT !
Not a lot actually. eg Nothing on where East West Rail might go to or come from; nothing about rail to Thame or beyond 'Oxford East'; only one mention of 'university' which seems odd; or BMW as an origin or destination of travel, or potential provider of e-vehicles or other innovations; etc...