• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Parkway to London Victoria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChewChewTrain

Can anyone please tell me what kind of train this was and why it ran?

Furthermore, is there any publicly available information I could have looked up about this myself without bothering the good people of RailForums?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Belmond British Pullman, from £690 a head, trip to Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

https://www.belmond.com/trains/euro...&departureDate=2024-02-21&packageCode=PMANOIR
Departs at 08:40

Wed, 21 Feb 2024 from LONDON VICTORIA STATION

Arrives at 19:45

Wed, 21 Feb 2024 to LONDON VICTORIA STATION

Price from $
£690 per passenger
Your Journey
EMBARK ON A CULINARY ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME ABOARD OUR LOVINGLY RESTORED TRAIN. SURROUNDED BY THE ART DECO SPLENDOUR OF OUR VINTAGE CARRIAGES, TRAVEL TO LE MANOIR AUX QUAT’SAISONS, A BELMOND HOTEL, OXFORDSHIRE, FOR A FABULOUS LUNCH AT RAYMOND BLANC’S TWO-MICHELIN-STARRED RESTAURANT.

In the bright, beating heart of the Oxfordshire countryside, Le Manoir is a place where gastronomy, gardens and culture come alive. The hotel’s potager gardens and orchards supply Raymond Blanc’s multi-award-winning restaurant with delicious, organic produce, while the Chef Patron’s vision informs everything from the Japanese garden to the elegant interiors. Your journey begins as you board British Pullman at London Victoria Station and step into the Golden Age of Travel. Settle into your uniquely designed carriage and anticipate first-class service all the way. A Bellini cocktail starts the journey off in delicious style, followed by a light brunch. Soak up the convivial ambience of your carriage as you admire the changing views through your window. Alight from the train at Oxford Parkway Station and board a private coach to Le Manoir, enjoying the rural Oxfordshire countryside as you go. Once at the honey-hued manor, indulge in a seasonal three-course lunch with selected wines. There’s time afterwards to explore the gardens and see where some of the luscious vegetables and herbs are cultivated. Afterwards, join the coach for the return journey to the station. Back on board British Pullman, cocooned in your armchair, savour cheese, dessert and coffee before arriving at London Victoria, your journey’s end.

Please note that for lunch at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons guests will be seated at larger tables with fellow guests.

Wolvercoter

£690 for a trip to Ray White's gaff? Hope the punters enjoy it!

I will no doubt be soaking up the convivial ambience on board a Cross Country Voyager, standing for 150 miles as I admire the changing views through the vestibule by the toilet. No Bellinis from the static trolley but fine selected cans of lager to accompany an indulgent sarnie I picked up in Boots. As another football stadium size group of people join at Bristol, I am cocooned in the comfort of my fellow travellers, and detecting something that smells like an exotic cheeseboard, without finding out where it's coming from.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

12LDA28C

Established Member
Considering I flew to Boston and back for £290 return (a week before Christmas too!), seeing a train ticket from London to Oxford - luxury or otherwise, for £400 more than that is really quite mind-boggling.

And yet clearly people are prepared to pay that amount. Not me I'm afraid, and not just because of the nasty traction involved!

cygnus44

It’s catching on they tried to charge me 6 quid for a sorry looking role at Didcot the other day.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Considering I flew to Boston and back for £290 return (a week before Christmas too!), seeing a train ticket from London to Oxford - luxury or otherwise, for £400 more than that is really quite mind-boggling.
Was that via Iceland, with some lovely mountain views from the air?

On train I guess there may be some parts where you get some lovely views of fields but I do find at times, more generally, that there are trees lining the route blocking the view.

I can't recall how many trees line the charter's route though.

The Ham

Established Member
Well it was described as a sorry looking role, so maybe the job was to look sorry whenever a train was late.

That can't be it, as you'd be doing that too much and fall fowl of minimum wage rules, maybe looking sorry every time the train arrives on time and therefore people miss it!!!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It's for rich tourists who are happy to spend £600 on a train-and-meal day out to avoid the riff-raff.
Plus one off celebrations, the sorts of thing that you do once in a lifetime. It probably exceeds the acceptable range of costs for corporate hospitality.

Status
Not open for further replies.