• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Station Layout Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyT

Established Member
Following a recent discussion in the General Forum about proposed passenger services on the Cowley Branch http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107481 , here are some ideas for further development of the track and station layout at Oxford and it's approaches:

http://www.townend.me/files/oxford.pdf

The additional Down platfrom (N-bound towards Banbury/Worcester) is catered for under the upcoming resignalling project apparently, although may not be constructed immediately. Further facilities at the station rely on a separately funded 'Masterplan' initiative which would also see complete replacement of the current station buildings and an integrated bus interchange to become the main bus station for Oxford, replacing the Gloucester Green site.

The modern much more flexible computer-based signalling equipment to be installed, supervised by the nearby Thames Valley Signalling Centre at Didcot, will be much more readily adapted to future further layout changes than the hard wired relay equipment of today's 1970s installation.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BantamMenace

Does anyone have a summary of services through oxford in each direction for us that arent familiar with the workings down there in the format;

Northbound:
XX00 XC to Newcastle
XX10 Freight
XX15 Chiltern to London

Southbound
XXXX ?????

mr_jrt

Established Member
Just for the benefit of posters not aware of the previous thread, here's my rough proposal being discussed:
Oxford%201

I am trying to visualise that as it doesnt make sense to me, the current down platform 2 is on the DPL (which is being extended up towards Wolvercote) and the current plan is to put a loop behind that for another down platform. You have extended the DGL/No1 reception at Hinksey up to make your recess loop which would join the new down loop platform? That would mean your up recess loop would already be there as the current D/UPL as you have slewed all the lines over, it doesnt read quite right to me, unless you have binned the new down loop platform.

It's all a bit confusing as you have to keep switching from the current layout, the proposed layout (aka. knowing what's feasible in the space available), and what I propose. I will try to be as clear as I can, please ask for clarification if I'm rubbish at doing so! :)

Basically, taking the new down loop line as the westernmost alignment, platform 2 would be built with the loop all as planned. I have indeed extended the Hinksey reception road as a down running line, connecting to the new loop. This means that if so required, you could just shuffle the lines across if you really wanted the recess line used for normal traffic. It also keeps the non-passenger bits of track connected, simplifying things.

..and yes, the down main would be realigned through the current platform 2, the alignment is plenty wide enough to accommodate this, I believe. Disruption can be kept to a minimum as the down loop could be built whilst the current layout is in operation, and realigning the down main should be fairly simple, which would maintain two down roads at all times.

Realigning the former down through as a temporary up through should be fairly easy, and keeps the freight flowing during the work.

The old up platform is then extended over the former up lines to meet the temporary up through, and here you lose capacity for a short period of time, but you do maintain the passenger capacity. Demolishing the old platform section as required then gives you the room for the new up loop on the footprint of the current up platform.

Using the space that is proposed to be used for the new down platform face and track, I propose instead a "down EWR" track and the accompanying platform. Now, as this is proposed elsewhere, we know there is room, but as I've removed the through roads, I have an extra two tracks' worth of width to play with, and I've used them for the "up EWR" platform face and associated track.

I might have a go at overlaying the current platform area's aerial photography (or the diagram from the planning docs) with my proposal as I'm fairly sure there's space precisely because I've removed the through roads. If you want to keep those, then I agree you would require much more land take to the east, which would be a tough sell (or buy! ;))

The Planner is quite right about how various things line up in reality, as against a nice neat computer diagram. And trains can cross from the down loop on to the Bicester line at the junction.
Agreed in general, but here I think it could be doable. I'm not clear what you're referring to here, the current arrangement, or my proposal?

There just isn't the space available on that site to have six through platforms. You might at a pinch get five, with two islands and a single face, but three islands is not going to happen.
As mentioned above, I beg to differ, but I'll go off and try to make some rough measurements to back that up. :)

And the connections into the stabling sidings from the north end were removed a few years ago.
I took Mark's diagram as my basis, they're easy enough to leave out, along with the associated crossovers.

With the projected increases in container traffic to and from Southampton, I'm of the view that keeping freight through roads, to keep Freightliners going at full tilt well away from passengers of a nervous disposition, are a pretty good idea.

As I've said back up the thread, the draft Western Route Strategy highlights concerns about capacity between Oxford North and Didcot from 2019 anyway, with what is already expected to be running then, never mind Cowley services, with quadruple track and flyovers at Oxford North and Didcot expressly mentioned as potential solutions.

I left the flyover out of this as I was trying to keep things isolated, but I left the ladder in precisely for the proposed EWR services from Reading, should they need to use the main platforms. If they instead moved across south of the station, they could use the EWR platforms along with Chiltern, but this highlights the flaw that only a flyover can solve - in my proposal it would be movements from the down lines to the up EWR lines.

Depending on the demand, perhaps there would then be the case I alluded to before my diagram in the previous thread of restoring the LNWR line from the station to the Junction, which then removes the need for a lot of the crossovers, at the cost of losing access to the (apparently, disconnected!) north sidings. This firmly moves the conflict south of the station, where a flyover could take the EWR traffic away from the main platforms, freeing those up for traffic to Worcester and Banbury.

Seeing as this was getting bit infrastructure focused I have started a new Oxford thread here:

Great diagram mr_jrt. Unfortunately the layout it illustrates probably wouldn't work very well in my opinion.
Thanks for doing this, Mark. You clearly have a great deal more knowledge than I do given your excellent diagrams over the years, but I was wondering, were there any particular problems that jumped out at you as reasons why you think it wouldn't work well?

Incidentally, the other part of this that I quite like is that if there aren't any down freight trains recessed, the services can run from Bicester to Cowley without conflicting with the mains whatsoever, and if there are, you just run around them using the crossovers, though this obviously impacts on capacity.

Last edited:

dysonsphere

I see what you mean now if you take out the through lines you have more room but I suspect the rebuilding would be a nightmare due to the inabilty of anyone to do it quickly probably a total blockade of 3/4 weeks might do it.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Two words, Botley Road. By my reckoning you have got two lines extra on the western side and one extra on the east. I cant see the need for the easternmost platform either.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Does anyone have a summary of services through oxford in each direction for us that arent familiar with the workings down there in the format;

Northbound:
XX00 XC to Newcastle
XX10 Freight
XX15 Chiltern to London

Southbound
XXXX ?????

Thanks that's a really helpful post. I'm fairly sure Newcastle and London are in opposite directions though.

Nippy

When the Chiltern go to London they will be heading out the North from the station though.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Two words, Botley Road. By my reckoning you have got two lines extra on the western side and one extra on the east. I cant see the need for the easternmost platform either.

Surely the already planned new up and down platform loops are going to necessitate two new bridges over the road regardless, unless they plan on moving the platforms much, much further north, not to mention how slow the turnouts would have to be to avoid new bridges? My proposal just means the two existing up bridges will eventually be redundant, with another two built immediately to their east and another final one built east of that. Then you either remove the two redundant spans (and maybe donate them to a heritage line in need of some ;)) or you just leave them in situ until they're life-expired.

The point of the easternmost platform is the same as the new northernmost platforms at Reading, i.e. keeping separate lines separate. If you can keep the Chiltern services segregated from the FGW services, you improve capacity and reliability. Same reason the LNWR line was originally going to be relaid, and part of the same reason Chiltern were going to have their own terminal platforms. If you're going to start connecting up disparate sections of railways you're going to want to avoid performance pollution. Having a broken down freight train at Denham affecting FGW services at Oxford due to late-running Chiltern services running through Oxford's junctions and platforms is to be avoided where possible, and this seems a very easy way to do so. It also future-proofs the station for growth on the line to Didcot, if they ever decide to bite the bullet and four-track the line to cope with rising demand then having Oxford station ready and waiting with an island platform from this one-in-a-generation rebuild to serve the new "relief" lines seems like a very good idea to me. I believe this sort of future-proofing lay behind the old proposal for the cancelled eight-platform rebuild back in the GWR days.

Chiltern are unlikely to need more than a single line given the state of the line to Cowley, but to get a decent frequency you will want a passing loop, and Oxford station seems a perfect place as it will give the train waiting a useful place to do so, aka. in a platform.

Last edited:

Nippy

At the present time the departures are as follows.

Up
XX:01 fast Paddington
XX:07 stopper Paddington
XX:16 XC
XX:31 fast Paddington
XX:37 stopper Paddington
XX:43 XC

Freight generally follow the XC from Oxford

Down
XX:07 XC
XX:37 XC

The stoppers from Padd arrive around XX:11 and 39
Fast from Padd arrive xx:20 and 50 with some going throug to the Cotswold Line

Freight can pass Oxford at any time but are generally looped at Oxford North to follow the XC.

Obviously this is a very rough guide as there are variances every day/hour

In addition you get the roughly 2 hourly stopper to Banbury.

jimm

Established Member
mr jrt, I might be able to take some of this stuff more seriously if there was some sign you actually understood the station area and the lie of the land.

Go and look on Google maps if you like but bear in mind the satellite images are very out of date, showing a 180 in Barbie livery and Voyager with a Virgin red roof. The Said Business school extension is missing - which is one of the key constraints at the east of the site, as road access needs to be maintained between the station area and the cycle/footpath to the west of the Said, for new rail buildings at the north-east corner of the station and to the sidings. Basically, you are stuck with the existing station footprint.

In addition, dysonsphere has pointed out a key consideration when it comes to retaining the through lines and the existing platform 1 and 2 lines where they are - the sheer difficulty of rebuilding here. They are going to have to maintain rail access for the maximum amount of time while the station project is going on and a closure for Botley Road bridge replacement work will be so disruptive anyway, both for road and rail traffic, that I just can't see anyone wishing to pile yet more complication on top by shuffling platforms across - never mind the idea of then having heavy container trains screaming past busy station platforms at 70mph - which is why every single option in the masterplan leaves the through lines and platform 1 and 2 lines right where they are.

And note that all the options make at least passive allowance for four/five through platforms. My understanding is that the TOCs are pressing Network Rail to go for four through platforms from day one anyway and if Cowley is a runner, then that fifth through platform would probably come into play too. The fly-through animation makes it plain enough that the full-works option 3 is the favoured one, so long as they can find the money.

Nor can you take the platforms north without yet more hugely expensive bridge work, as running right across that end of the station is a cross-channel between the River Thames and the Oxford Canal (not the River Thames as indicated on MarkyT's plan).

The further east you pur rail tracks, you will affect the position of the Botley Road bridge - note also that the entire existing bridge structure will be removed - the roadway is to be widened and deepened (see the masterplan) and the road has to rise up from its lowest point and be level with Frideswide Square next to the Becket Street junction (the parallel road on the other side of the car park/proposed bus station area from the rail tracks. Shift the bridge further east and you are encroaching into the area the road needs to rise up, a consideration when you have lots of double-decker buses coming underneath, and sharply increasing the road gradient, also cutting into the proposed bus station site in option 3.

There is all sorts of information, pictures, maps, plans, etc here http://www.oxfordwestend.co.uk/PageRender/oxfordwestend/RailwayStation.htm
Note they can be slow to load.

You will not be able to segregate traffic in the way you appear to think you can, there will be all sorts of East West, XC and freight traffic coming up and down off the Bicester line in future and with Network Rail's planners clearly of the mind that four tracks from Oxford North to Didcot is what's needed, whether or not you go with flyovers, any Cowley service, whatever track it uses, is going to be mixing it with other services between North and Kennington junctions.

A major factor in the initial Chiltern plan for a segregated line into the station from the north was simply that they initially hoped to be in Oxford in 2012, well before Oxford area resignalling was going to be on the agenda, and that way they could run it all from Marylebone. Things have moved on since then, with the delays to Evergreen and the East West go-ahead bringing all these things together.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Indeed Jimm is correct on the independant, the basis behind it was also that everyone believed that hacking into the Oxford set up before it was resignalled would send it to an early grave as it was perceived to be on its last legs in terms of wire degredation.

aylesbury

According to Modern Rail the down fast is going to be routed behind Hinksey sidings but the station rebuild is in a state of flux.

Agree about the restrictions on the site its going to take a great deal of work to come up with a layout that enables more services and freight to work through.

Perhaps two island platforms would work with a bay at each end for turn back services? Otherwise it's going to be a long time before the new station materialises.

MarkyT

Established Member
The Said Business school extension is missing.

Visible on later streetview imagery though - "The Thatcher Business Education Centre"

. . . I just can't see anyone wishing to pile yet more complication on top by shuffling platforms across - never mind the idea of then having heavy container trains screaming past busy station platforms at 70mph - which is why every single option in the masterplan leaves the through lines and platform 1 and 2 lines right where they are.

Good to hear that. 'Buildability' and service continuity are going to be the key factors here.

Nor can you take the platforms north without yet more hugely expensive bridge work, as running right across that end of the station is a cross-channel between the River Thames and the Oxford Canal (not the River Thames as indicated on MarkyT's plan).

Agree with that. The two bridges are almost exactly 300metres apart, which as a platform length is about perfect for joining and splitting two 5-car IEP units, probably the longest passenger train requirement likely at Oxford in the future. The platform starting signals and adjacent through line signals can be placed on gantries just the other side of the bridges from the platform ends to give good sighting from typical stopping positions. Junctions will need to be beyond the signals clearly, and for maximum operational flexibility, where appropriate and possible, clear overlap lengths incorporated between the signals and following junction conflict points. My next diagram version will amend the description of the channel beneath the northern bridge.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Junctions will need to be beyond the signals clearly, and for maximum operational flexibility, where appropriate and possible, clear overlap lengths incorporated between the signals and following junction conflict points.

Dont think appropriate and possible come into it, it just wouldnt be acceptable these days to have overlaps extending over conflict points.

MarkyT

Established Member
Dont think appropriate and possible come into it, it just wouldnt be acceptable these days to have overlaps extending over conflict points.

Agreed generally. The only case where a clear overlap might not be justified might be if an extraordinary cost was involved for a very rarely used movement such as a reverse direction move into a platform loop normally used only in the other direction. At Oxford a blanket 40MPH restriction on all the platform lines and across all approaching crossovers could allow overlaps to be reduced to 80m generally instead of the default 180m. More rarely used reverse direction movement speed could be further restricted by PSR or approaching home signals provided with additional warning routes, allowing further overlap reduction to as little as 45m. That might be useful at the north end of the group of east side platforms at Oxford, where the space available between the platform ends and first crossover of the long left hand ladder across the layout to the down side sidings is particularly limited.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Following a recent discussion in the General Forum about proposed passenger services on the Cowley Branch http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107481 , here are some ideas for further development of the track and station layout at Oxford and it's approaches:

http://www.townend.me/files/oxford.pdf

The additional Down platfrom (N-bound towards Banbury/Worcester) is catered for under the upcoming resignalling project apparently, although may not be constructed immediately. Further facilities at the station rely on a separately funded 'Masterplan' initiative which would also see complete replacement of the current station buildings and an integrated bus interchange to become the main bus station for Oxford, replacing the Gloucester Green site.

The modern much more flexible computer-based signalling equipment to be installed, supervised by the nearby Thames Valley Signalling Centre at Didcot, will be much more readily adapted to future further layout changes than the hard wired relay equipment of today's 1970s installation.

A couple issues with your layout.

All well and good widening the Bridge over Botley Road, however, there is minimal scope to make that road deeper/steeper, plus if the height were to be reduced, that would end the Double Decker buses under that bridge, and there are many per hour that dive under it, with a couple inches to spare.

Pointless re-routing the main line to the East of Hinksey Yard, would be better used for freight.

Also the Youth Hostel is in the way for the new West Platform and a CPO would be needed to knock that down, as well as reducing the clearance for Road Vehicles.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The youth hostel is going anyway regardless of this thread as part of the resignalling and new down platform.

Rich McLean

Established Member
The youth hostel is going anyway regardless of this thread as part of the resignalling and new down platform.

That I didn't know. Thanks very much

I also see that Botley Road will be deepened in the future, now that will be fun when Oxford Floods, I hope some pumping equipment is installed under there

mr_jrt

Established Member
Go and look on Google maps if you like but bear in mind the satellite images are very out of date, showing a 180 in Barbie livery and Voyager with a Virgin red roof. The Said Business school extension is missing - which is one of the key constraints at the east of the site, as road access needs to be maintained between the station area and the cycle/footpath to the west of the Said, for new rail buildings at the north-east corner of the station and to the sidings. Basically, you are stuck with the existing station footprint.

..and my point is that I based my assertion on the masterplan imagery - I'm certain there is room within the existing footprint.

In addition, dysonsphere has pointed out a key consideration when it comes to retaining the through lines and the existing platform 1 and 2 lines where they are - the sheer difficulty of rebuilding here. They are going to have to maintain rail access for the maximum amount of time while the station project is going on and a closure for Botley Road bridge replacement work will be so disruptive anyway, both for road and rail traffic, that I just can't see anyone wishing to pile yet more complication on top by shuffling platforms across - never mind the idea of then having heavy container trains screaming past busy station platforms at 70mph - which is why every single option in the masterplan leaves the through lines and platform 1 and 2 lines right where they are.
I don't see the problem. Freight trains pass passenger platforms at speed all the time. If Reading justifies having its through lines removed, why not Oxford?

As for disruption, have you seen what's already planned? - they're adding two new bridges anyway, the only difference to what I propose is adding two on the eastern side (a double and a single), rather than a strange treble-esque-width they propose. Truth be told, from looking at the alignments, I suspect you could build my bridges and the EWR platform whilst leaving the current ones in situ, then temporarily route the passenger service into the "up EWR" platform, convert the up through to the down through, then extend the platform over the current two up lines. Then dig out the roads for the up loop and the down EWR and job's a good'un. You can leave the old up bridges sitting there, or just cut them up once they're no longer needed.

And note that all the options make at least passive allowance for four/five through platforms. My understanding is that the TOCs are pressing Network Rail to go for four through platforms from day one anyway and if Cowley is a runner, then that fifth through platform would probably come into play too. The fly-through animation makes it plain enough that the full-works option 3 is the favoured one, so long as they can find the money.
Indeed - thank heaven for small mercies ;)

I had no intention of moving the platforms north, just a counterpoint against the impact of additional lines across Botley Road.

The further east you pur rail tracks, you will affect the position of the Botley Road bridge - note also that the entire existing bridge structure will be removed - the roadway is to be widened and deepened (see the masterplan) and the road has to rise up from its lowest point and be level with Frideswide Square next to the Becket Street junction (the parallel road on the other side of the car park/proposed bus station area from the rail tracks. Shift the bridge further east and you are encroaching into the area the road needs to rise up, a consideration when you have lots of double-decker buses coming underneath, and sharply increasing the road gradient, also cutting into the proposed bus station site in option 3.
I have considered this, and the impact is about a track's worth at maximum, tapering off as you move south. In the documents I saw, the passenger walkway from the bus terminal looks at the same level as the rail bridges, I believe that this means the rail bridge would not cause a problem with the headroom, but it does mean that the passenger walkway would need to be raised to maintain clearance...I don't think this is too great an issue, surely?

There is all sorts of information, pictures, maps, plans, etc here http://www.oxfordwestend.co.uk/PageRender/oxfordwestend/RailwayStation.htm
Note they can be slow to load.
I had seen those when they were released, but thanks for the reminder :)

You will not be able to segregate traffic in the way you appear to think you can, there will be all sorts of East West, XC and freight traffic coming up and down off the Bicester line in future and with Network Rail's planners clearly of the mind that four tracks from Oxford North to Didcot is what's needed, whether or not you go with flyovers, any Cowley service, whatever track it uses, is going to be mixing it with other services between North and Kennington junctions.
I wasn't aware of the XC traffic, but fair enough. I still think giving the signaller options is a good thing to build in now, though. Being able to run freight and passengers to Cowley independently of the mains is a worthwhile aim, IMHO.

A major factor in the initial Chiltern plan for a segregated line into the station from the north was simply that they initially hoped to be in Oxford in 2012, well before Oxford area resignalling was going to be on the agenda, and that way they could run it all from Marylebone. Things have moved on since then, with the delays to Evergreen and the East West go-ahead bringing all these things together.

Indeed Jimm is correct on the independant, the basis behind it was also that everyone believed that hacking into the Oxford set up before it was resignalled would send it to an early grave as it was perceived to be on its last legs in terms of wire degredation.

Both points are very interesting, thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hey all. I spent some time today preparing some diagrams, and indeed, I'm even more certain now it would all fit, in fact, it uses less land north of Botley Road than the proposed plan, leaving room for a terminal platform/sidings if needed. :)

Anyway, if anyone wants the svg to play with, let me know (a can't post it publicly due to it containing the Google Maps imagery I aligned with the masterplan images to check things), but I've stuck the diagrams I made in a pdf as I always found the ability to flick between images useful in Mark's diagrams.

They're far from engineering plans, so don't judge them too harshly, but you can find them here.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
How many tph are envisaged for Oxford anyway? Unless people are expecting a lot of terminating trains then I reckon 6 platforms is overkill.

mr_jrt

Established Member
How many tph are envisaged for Oxford anyway? Unless people are expecting a lot of terminating trains then I reckon 6 platforms is overkill.

Well, with three routes to the north (FGW/Worcester, FGW/Banbury and EWR/Chiltern/Bicester) and three routes to the south (EWR/Swindon, EWR/FGW/Reading, Chiltern/Cowley), I think building in a bit of room to grow makes sense if you're going to rebuild the station anyway, IMHO. The changes are small, but give the option of dramatically more capacity in the future if required. You don't even have to build the EWR platform through tracks immediately, much as they're leaving passive provision for extending the 5th line, building it as a terminating line on the west side of the island leaves the room to expand later without having to rebuild everything later. Worst excessive cost if it was never needed would be the spare bridge deck. If Oxford wasn't getting rebuilt I wouldn't argue for this, but as it is, it seems prudent to make the most of the opportunity. The cost of making these changes later will be many orders of magnitude greater once the surrounding area has been rebuilt.

MarkyT

Established Member
All well and good widening the Bridge over Botley Road, however, there is minimal scope to make that road deeper/steeper . . .

I assume that's all been looked at in fair detail already, as in all options this has formed part of the Masterplan.

Pointless re-routing the main line to the East of Hinksey Yard, would be better used for freight.

I routed the Down Main only to the WEST of Hinksey Yard. Expensive no doubt and would probably need the virtual quarry operation to move away (perhaps to Didcot?) but splitting a pair of lines to run either side of a yard is a time-honoured way of reducing conflicts for yard entries and exits, and in this case it fits in well with the desire to keep freights running through the middle through roads at the station. Examples remaining in UK include Healey Mills and Tees Yard / Thornaby Depot, and centre turnback sidings on passenger networks throughout the World are provided with similar aims in mind.

The Watercourse under the bridge at the north end of the station is called Sheepwash Channel. Diagram updated -

http://www.townend.me/files/oxford.pdf (v4)

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
I also see that Botley Road will be deepened in the future, now that will be fun when Oxford Floods, I hope some pumping equipment is installed under there

No change from the current position then... The Botley Road bridge has been subject to pumping for years.

Whilst various Oxford societies are really angry about it, there will also be a western relief channel built to take peak water away from The Isis through Oxford.

D1009

Established Member
I routed the Down Main only to the WEST of Hinksey Yard. Expensive no doubt and would probably need the virtual quarry operation to move away (perhaps to Didcot?) but splitting a pair of lines to run either side of a yard is a time-honoured way of reducing conflicts for yard entries and exits, and in this case it fits in well with the desire to keep freights running through the middle through roads at the station. Examples remaining in UK include Healey Mills and Tees Yard / Thornaby Depot, and centre turnback sidings on passenger networks throughout the World are provided with similar aims in mind.
Healey Mills and Tees are/were marshalling yards. Other than the virtual quarry, what is Hinksey currently used for?

BantamMenace

To a layman it does seem silly to go to all the trouble of constructing the fifth platform, track and signalling then to leave it only one bridge and around 30m away from becoming a through platform thus doubling its optional uses. I'm yet to see a rule where a train can't be turned around from the north or the south in a through platform.

jimm

Established Member
..and my point is that I based my assertion on the masterplan imagery - I'm certain there is room within the existing footprint.

I don't see the problem. Freight trains pass passenger platforms at speed all the time. If Reading justifies having its through lines removed, why not Oxford?

As for disruption, have you seen what's already planned? - they're adding two new bridges anyway, the only difference to what I propose is adding two on the eastern side (a double and a single), rather than a strange treble-esque-width they propose. Truth be told, from looking at the alignments, I suspect you could build my bridges and the EWR platform whilst leaving the current ones in situ, then temporarily route the passenger service into the "up EWR" platform, convert the up through to the down through, then extend the platform over the current two up lines. Then dig out the roads for the up loop and the down EWR and job's a good'un. You can leave the old up bridges sitting there, or just cut them up once they're no longer needed.

Indeed - thank heaven for small mercies ;)

I had no intention of moving the platforms north, just a counterpoint against the impact of additional lines across Botley Road.

I have considered this, and the impact is about a track's worth at maximum, tapering off as you move south. In the documents I saw, the passenger walkway from the bus terminal looks at the same level as the rail bridges, I believe that this means the rail bridge would not cause a problem with the headroom, but it does mean that the passenger walkway would need to be raised to maintain clearance...I don't think this is too great an issue, surely?

I had seen those when they were released, but thanks for the reminder :)

I wasn't aware of the XC traffic, but fair enough. I still think giving the signaller options is a good thing to build in now, though. Being able to run freight and passengers to Cowley independently of the mains is a worthwhile aim, IMHO.

Both points are very interesting, thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hey all. I spent some time today preparing some diagrams, and indeed, I'm even more certain now it would all fit, in fact, it uses less land north of Botley Road than the proposed plan, leaving room for a terminal platform/sidings if needed. :)

Anyway, if anyone wants the svg to play with, let me know (a can't post it publicly due to it containing the Google Maps imagery I aligned with the masterplan images to check things), but I've stuck the diagrams I made in a pdf as I always found the ability to flick between images useful in Mark's diagrams.

They're far from engineering plans, so don't judge them too harshly, but you can find them here.

Well I'm not certain there is room for another island platform, plus the buildings planned east of the station, plus a road through to the new buildings to the north-east and to the stabling sidings.

Well we all know what happens along the Thames Valley with fast trains screaming straight past station platforms, don't we?

As for disruption, yes, I'm well aware - I use Oxford station all week, so I'll rely on what I can see with my own eyes, never mind a pdf of the masterplan. And as I said, they are not "adding two new bridges" - they are taking out everything that is there now and widening and deepening the roadway/pavement cross-section - on the only road into central Oxford from the west. This job will need to be done quickly and efficiently, and most likely all at one go, with some rail lines reopened asap, which is not going to allow time for messing around with the position of tracks and platforms.

I know people involved in the project and the consensus appears to be that four through platforms from the off is what is required, though Network Rail are still perhaps not 100 per cent convinced, and there is the possibility to go to five, which, with most trains just calling at the station, rather than hanging around there occupying platforms, or shunting across the layout from the sidings, should be plenty of capacity. And this with the two freight lines segregated from the platforms. Your idea requires the freights to be routed past platforms, putting them out of bounds to passenger trains while this is going on. Traffic projections suggest the amount of time each hour that freight will be passing through is only going to grow, with the window for passenger use on the platforms affected getting smaller as a result, were your idea to be adopted. The through roads allow maximum use of the platforms by passenger services.

The draft western route strategy makes clear the aim of projecting more services out to places on the Cotswold Line and perhaps Banbury to reverse there, simply making a quick call at Oxford along the way, the same as Chiltern looking to go on to Cowley for reversal purposes.

You can't build any platforms on the east side until you demolish the current station building and you can't do that until the new overbridge structure is there, which I doubt they would even attempt to build until the Botley Road bridge is all sorted out, given the issues over ground conditions at a site which is below the level of the River Thames and the amount of piling work that will be needed.

However much extra track is laid south of Oxford station and for whatever distance, to Kennington, Radley or all the way to Didcot, you will not be able to run Cowley trains "independently", the track will be too valuable to use in that way. I'd suggest you read the part of the draft western route strategy about Oxford-Didcot and future traffic projections for the area, then you might see why.

I can't see anyone seeing Didcot yard as a desirable location for a virtual quarry, the curvature in the sidings is just too great. Maybe start from scratch at the site of Moreton cutting sidings next to the main line just east of Didcot, nice and straight, currently being used as an electrification depot.

No change from the current position then... The Botley Road bridge has been subject to pumping for years.

Whilst various Oxford societies are really angry about it, there will also be a western relief channel built to take peak water away from The Isis through Oxford.

You are rather overstating the case. There may be a relief channel, or a partial one at key points, but it is far from confirmed. The estimated budget is £123m - at one point it was more than £160m - and there are an awful lot of other things you could buy for that kind of money that would make life better for people in and around Oxford. Just raising the tracks and signal kit and cables at Kennington and Redbridge, which is being done, would protect the railway from all but the most extreme flood conditions anyway, to name but one example.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Where is the youth hostel going to relocate to? It seems to be fairly popular. I was staying there last week. Very handy being so close to the station. Not all YHAs are so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.