• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford - Torquay without Bristol

Stargull

Hi

Yesterday I travelled Oxford - Torquay and back changing trains at Didcot, Swindon and Newton Abbot. I'm trying to book for 9th March, and planners seem to insist I go via Bristol. I can force via Swindon, but the route I get is still via Bristol.

Has something changed in the timetable, or am I just failing to put the right constraints into the planner? The main issue is that the routes via Bristol add an hour or so, which is a lot when doing that journey there and back in one day.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
What route are you trying to get that is via Swindon but not Bristol? Except during engineering the two routes are via Westbury or Bristol. Unless you’re trying to change at Westbury as well as Swindon, which will almost definitely have a long wait, you are going to have to go via Bristol or Reading.

Stargull

What route are you trying to get that is via Swindon but not Bristol? Except during engineering the two routes are via Westbury or Bristol. Unless you’re trying to change at Westbury as well as Swindon, which will almost definitely have a long wait, you are going to have to go via Bristol or Reading.
My itenary yesterday was Oxford - Didcot, Didcot - Swindon, Swindon - Newton Abbot (Via Castle Cary) - it's this later leg that I can't find for the 9th. Maybe there was some quirk of yesterday?

Benjwri

Established Member
My itenary yesterday was Oxford - Didcot, Didcot - Swindon, Swindon - Newton Abbot (Via Castle Cary) - it's this later leg that I can't find for the 9th. Maybe there was some quirk of yesterday?
Yeah the line through Newbury is closed this weekend, and therefore trains are diverted via Melksham or Bristol. When engineering is not happening you have to go via Reading if you want to avoid Bristol