• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster: Bus and Tram cap when combined with other modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

I have searched online and the forum and have been unable to find an answer to my question thus far, so hope you fine folks can help me.

I’m aware that there is a bus and tram Oyster day cap, so if multiple journeys on these modes are made, I’ll pay no more than that price.

Sometimes I make enough bus journeys in a day to qualify for this cap, however occasionally I make just one or two National Rail journeys in the same day.

My Oyster has my PRIV NR ONLY (75% discount) applied, so frequently these rail journeys are sub £1, if locally in south London.

My question is, if I make one rail journey at the start of the day for £1.50, then a number of bus journeys that would normally be eligible for the cap, would I expect to pay the bus cap + £1.50, then if I make more rail journeys it would go up to the normal cap, or would bus journeys continue to add up and I would pay the full cap price?

I hope this makes sense to someone, it was more difficult to explain in text than I expected!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
It ought to apply the bus/tram day cap and charge the single fare for the train journey(s) if that's cheaper.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My question is, if I make one rail journey at the start of the day for £1.50, then a number of bus journeys that would normally be eligible for the cap, would I expect to pay the bus cap + £1.50, then if I make more rail journeys it would go up to the normal cap, or would bus journeys continue to add up and I would pay the full cap price?

I don't think Priv fares count towards a cap.
Buses and trams will always cap at their cap regardless of any other journeys. You'll pay for each rail journey until they, plus the buses, reach the normal (non-priv) cap. There are no priv caps AFAIK.

tramdan

Thank you Mike, that makes perfect sense. I definitely understand it goes up to the normal cap, a Priv cap would be very handy, but alas no such luck! Thanks!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I don't think Priv fares count towards a cap.
When Oyster was first invented the Priv cap was £2, but that was soon dispensed with and Priv fares will now cap at the normal public adult fare.
I don't know if the system is clever enough to work out the cheapest when using a combination of NR Priv, normal adult TfL and bus, though!

Haywain

Veteran Member
When Oyster was first invented the Priv cap was £2, but that was soon dispensed with and Priv fares will now cap at the normal public adult fare.
That may be the case for safeguarded Priv, but I'm not sure it is for 'New Entrants'.

Status
Not open for further replies.