• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster extended to Biggleswade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
88D7DBEC-039C-4C6A-8748-AF633DF1CEDF.jpeg Great Northern this morning is advising via JourneyCheck that the Oyster readers at this station are not working today, since when did Biggleswade get Oyster?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I would imagine they're referring to their Smartcard readers but the system goesn't have that as an option so they chose the least unsuitable one.

PeterC

Established Member
Could we be seeing "Oyster" on its way to being a generic term like "Hoover" and "Biro", or closer to home on this board "fine" for a "PFN".

Aictos

Established Member
I would imagine they're referring to their Smartcard readers but the system goesn't have that as an option so they chose the least unsuitable one.

I know, I was being sarcastic towards them.

Leo1961

Could we be seeing "Oyster" on its way to being a generic term like "Hoover" and "Biro", or closer to home on this board "fine" for a "PFN".

Doubtful given that a more efficient way is just to use a contact-less debit card.

Swipe'N'Go may be more memorable in my opinion.

wyvfe1

The readers have both been offline since Feb 18th.
Apparently they have both got rain water in them and will be off for sometime.

I normally use my Keygo (PAYG) card but now have to queue for a ticket. Or risk prosecution for no valid ticket or validated smartcard.

Been advised loaded session tickets are still valid.

Skimble19

Established Member
View attachment 74701 Great Northern this morning is advising via JourneyCheck that the Oyster readers at this station are not working today, since when did Biggleswade get Oyster?
The internal version of this did clarify that it was actually the Key readers out of use, although it did cause some laughter. Seems that clarification didn’t make it out to the external info, presumably as posted above it was the closest reason they could find.

Aictos

Established Member
The internal version of this did clarify that it was actually the Key readers out of use, although it did cause some laughter. Seems that clarification didn’t make it out to the external info, presumably as posted above it was the closest reason they could find.

I was pretty sure it was the Key readers but remember that information put out on JourneyCheck is NOTHING to do with GTR if you believe the social media team...

StephenHunter

Established Member
The readers have both been offline since Feb 18th.
Apparently they have both got rain water in them and will be off for sometime.

I normally use my Keygo (PAYG) card but now have to queue for a ticket. Or risk prosecution for no valid ticket or validated smartcard.

Been advised loaded session tickets are still valid.

Rainwater in a PAYG reader? Shouldn't they be built so that doesn't happen?

Roast Veg

Established Member
A little difficult to avoid if the rain is coming at a sideways trajectory.

sjoh

I notice a lot of people referring to contactless payment cards simply as their 'tap'. I have lots of fun telling customers they need a plumber when they tell me their "tap doesn't work" so they have to use chip and PIN. Oh how they laugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.