• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Peak Travel & Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Suppose that, using an Oyster Card, I start out at Heathrow (zone 6) during the morning peak and make one single journey to zone 1.

Suppose that later, I do various - let's say MANY - other journeys in all zones all of which take place after the morning peak the same day.

Suppose my Oyster is (properly) marked as my having a Railcard.

One way peak trip Z6 - Z1 = £5 (oyster) or £5.50 (cash)
Off peak travelcard Z1 - Z6 = £5.60 (oyster cap) or £5.90

Total £10.60 (oyster) or £11.40 (cash).

However a peak Oyster cap is £15.80.

What am I charged?

It might be
a) the price of one peak trip, plus an off-peak cap. (After all, if I were buying separate fares, that's what I'd buy, right?)
or
b) a peak cap (because just one of my trips is peak).

And, if it's (b) is there a valid claim for a refund of the difference?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Suppose that, using an Oyster Card, I start out at Heathrow (zone 6) during the morning peak and make one single journey to zone 1.

Suppose that later, I do various - let's say MANY - other journeys in all zones all of which take place after the morning peak the same day.

Suppose my Oyster is (properly) marked as my having a Railcard.

One way peak trip Z6 - Z1 = £5 (oyster) or £5.50 (cash)
Off peak travelcard Z1 - Z6 = £5.60 (oyster cap) or £5.90

Total £10.60 (oyster) or £11.40 (cash).

However a peak Oyster cap is £15.80.

What am I charged?

It might be
a) the price of one peak trip, plus an off-peak cap. (After all, if I were buying separate fares, that's what I'd buy, right?)
or
b) a peak cap (because just one of my trips is peak).

And, if it's (b) is there a valid claim for a refund of the difference?

It's a)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
MikeWh's independant Oyster website covers this:

On weekdays your travel updates the Anytime total and, if appropriate, the Off-Peak total as well. If either total exceeds the cap for the zones travelled in then your charges are capped. Thus, if you make one journey before 0930 you are likely to hit the off-peak cap before the anytime cap

I read this as option (a)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
MikeWh's independant Oyster website covers this:

I read this as option (a)

Indeed it is (a). The only reason I say likely is because within zones 1-2 there is very little difference between the anytime and off-peak caps so you would actually still hit the anytime cap first, unless you have a railcard.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Thanks, all. It looks all good, then - though I don't think it's at all clear on the tfl site(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.