• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster query when changing from National Rail at Fenchurch Street to Underground on t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

I plan to use my Oyster card for a through journey, starting in zone 6 with C2C as far as Fenchurch Street, on my way to an underground station in zone 1 a few miles to the west. I will not be hitting the Oyster fares cap on this date.

I realise that I have to touch out as I leave Fenchurch Street and touch in when I enter the Underground system, and as long as the two touches are within a short time I will be charged for the Z6 to Z1 through journey rather than as two separate journeys that will cost more.

TfL journey planner tells me to walk to Tower Hill Underground. What if I decide to walk briskly to Monument, Bank or Liverpool Street Underground instead? Will I still be able to make the whole journey for a single fare, please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CheapAndNerdy

This page lists all OSI's (Out of station interchanges). You would have 20 minutes to resume your journey at either Bank or Monument. For Liverpool Street, 40 minutes is indicated but only for National Rail (NR) journeys, so I am not sure if it would include journeys on London Underground.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This page lists all OSI's (Out of station interchanges). You would have 20 minutes to resume your journey at either Bank or Monument. For Liverpool Street, 40 minutes is indicated but only for National Rail (NR) journeys, so I am not sure if it would include journeys on London Underground.

Fenchurch Street to Liverpool Street is for National Rail journeys only. A new journey will be started if touch in is at the LU station.

Mister Ed

Thank you for your prompt and helpful replies. I have since found out-of-station interchanges on the TfL website, but I wouldn’t have found this without your help and it is not particularly easy to use. Also, it is curious that the website you mention is so much more helpful and informative than TfL’s in making the best use of Oyster and explaining when other methods are cheaper.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also, it is curious that the website you mention is so much more helpful and informative than TfL’s in making the best use of Oyster and explaining when other methods are cheaper.
That's MikeWh's site! :D

There are numerous sites created by forum members that are so much better than the 'official' ones. Other examples include FastJP.com, Trainsplit.com and BRfares.com. And several more...

(Good job this isn't MoneySavingExpert, where someone goes round reporting anyone who informs people of the good sites and tries to get the posts removed :lol:)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Isn't this forum marvellous!

The other week, I did a transfer from Aldgate to Fenchurch Street and wondered why I had been charged a single through fare rather than for separate journeys (Euston Square - Aldgate then Fenchurch Street - Grays). Now I understand why.

Equally I found Euston Square - Paddington, long wait, Paddington - West Ruislip, walk, Ickenham - Uxbridge good value for £3.10, but not as good value as West Ruislip - Greenford (LU), Greenford - Paddington (CT), Paddington - Edgware Road (LU), walk, Marylebone - Harrow-on-the-Hill (CT) for the same £3.10.

As a midlander making infrequent journeys to London I do find Oyster rather complex and just trust it to calculate the correct fare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.