• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster season ticket /travelcard refund for January fare increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

railnewb

Hi,

I currently commute daily from Northwick Park to East Croydon.
For this I currently have an annual zone 1-5 oyster travelcard which I purchased in may this year.

I am wondering if it is worth asking for a refund for my unused portion and then purchasing another annual zone 1-5 travelcard just before the January fare increase.

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Almost certainly not worth it. A refund on an annual season would convert it into a monthly rate season for the period used. After 40 weeks the annual has no value left. So the further into an annual ticket you are, the less you get back in relation to the time remaining.

RJ

Established Member
Almost certainly not worth it. A refund on an annual season would convert it into a monthly rate season for the period used. After 40 weeks the annual has no value left. So the further into an annual ticket you are, the less you get back in relation to the time remaining.

Indeed, at the beginning of the month, I enquired about a refund on my 1-2 Annual TC which expires on the 31st December. Was offered a measly £116 for the remaining 3 months!

barrykas

Established Member
Without knowing exactly when in May the OP purchased the Season, I can't give a totally accurate answer, but here's a rough calculation.

Assuming the ticket runs from 1st May 2011 to 30th April 2012 and the ticket is surrendered today:

Original Cost of Ticket: £1880
7 Day Price: £47.00

Period of Use: 5 months 20 days
Multiplier: 21.76
Cost of Ticket for said period: £1022.80

Difference: £857.20
Less Administration Fee: £10.00
Balance to Refund: £847.20

HTH,

Barry

laphroaig

I can't offer any advice on your specific query, but have you considered travelling from Kenton (a 5 minute walk from Northwick Park) using the Overground / Bakerloo, changing at Willesden Junction and Clapham Junction for East Croydon?

This could give very considerable savings on an annual season as you don't pass through Zone 1. It might even be a bit quicker as it is more direct.

They have recently doubled the frequency to every 15 mins on the Willesden - Clapham service, so it is a reasonable 'turn up and go' option now. There's even a direct train from Harrow & Wealdstone to East Croydon, but that is I think hourly, and nowadays stops everywhere between Clapham and Croydon.

Status
Not open for further replies.