• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster - Southwark/Waterloo East to Charing Cross NR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Tonight after 8pm I travelled from Southwark to Charing Cross via Waterloo East.

I tried the fare finder and there's no actual fare to the NR station.

As my Oyster was already capped, I know that I wasn't charged, but is it supposed to be the NR Zone 1 fare of £2.20 off-peak as I touched in the LU gateline, walked to the LU Waterloo East gateline to touch out, walked across no-mans land to the NR gateline onto the platforms? Assuming there's an OSI trick that allows you to walk from Southwark to Waterloo East without being charged the TfL/NR premium?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

si404

Established Member
Unsurprisingly, walking through no-mans land between Southwark and Waterloo East is an OSI.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you search for Southwark to another SE destination (eg Crayford) it gives you the NR+TfL fare by default then offers an NR only fare for using NR services from Waterloo East. Charing Cross must be missing from the tables. The Oyster system will usually charge a zonally appropriate fare where none are shown, but it could well be the NR+TfL in this case.

si404

Established Member
Re-reading this at a non-late hour the question seems to be thus:

Tap-in at Southwark - walk through Southwark - tap-out at Southwark - walk through no-mans land - tap in Waterloo East - train to Charing Cross - tap-out Charing Cross NR

Is that an NR-only Z1 single fare (£2.20 off-peak), or an LU+NR Z1 single fare (£3.70 off-peak)?

I imagine the former, based on what I know about walking through NR Blackfriars and transferring that to walking through LU Southwark*.

*What other stations have a logical walk-through, whereby you tap in at one gateline and tap out at another in order to get to a different station's gateline the far side easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.