• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster w/ Railcard entitlement used by non-railcard user

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwaway23433

Hi,

My partner was recently caught by a ticket controller using an Oyster Card with a Railcard registered to it, which she didn't have.

The journey happened:
from Blackfriars Station
towards Gatwick Airport
journey started @ 16:50 on a Thursday

This was a very poor judgement from my side, but I thought that since it was peak hour and the Railcard provides a discounted fare during off-peak only, that it would be fine for my partner to use the Oyster Card.

This was not the case as instead of the peak fare of £16.50 (source: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder) the Oyster card charged £14.80 instead for the trip.

During the trip my partner failed to provide a Railcard to a ticket inspector and has been charged a penalty fare of £25.80 with the following details:

GOVIA THAMESLINK PENALTY FARE NOTICE / RECEIPT

Issued at: East Croydon
Issue Reason: No Supporting Documentation

Journey from London Blacfriars
To Gatwick Airport

[...]

How can I avoid getting another penalty fare in the future? [....] please purcahse a valid ticket for your entire joureny prior to travelling and ensure that you keep it with you at all times.

I am not sure about the following:
Is this a penalty on top of the Oyster fare, or does it replace the Oyster fare and I can request the Oyster charge to be reimbursed?

Since I was charged £14.80 instead of the £16.50 regular Oyster fare for the journey, I received a £1.70 discount that I was not entitled to during the trip.

This is the first time I receive a penalty fare so I do not know very well. By the way it has been paid already, it's just that the receipt says I can appeal in the next days if I think it is incorrect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum.
Is this a penalty on top of the Oyster fare, or does it replace the Oyster fare and I can request the Oyster charge to be reimbursed?
It is on top of the Oyster fare. You'll have to contact the helpdesk to ask about a refund of the Oyster fare. They may want to see the penalty notice. You are required to carry the railcard with you at all times, even if the fare might not be discounted.
Since I was charged £14.80 instead of the £16.50 regular Oyster fare for the journey, I received a £1.70 discount that I was not entitled to during the trip.
The railcard also discounts the off-peak cap which applies after 0930 up to 0430 the following day. £14.80 is the discounted off-peak cap. This is why the railcard must always be carried, and why Oyster cards with a discount entitlement cannot be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.