• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oystercard/East Tilbury

Somewhere

I cannot find this information online. Can someone advise whether I can use an Oystercard at East Tilbury? It says 'outside fare zones', but it also says this for Hertford East and you can use an Oystercard there

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I cannot find this information online. Can someone advise whether I can use an Oystercard at East Tilbury? It says 'outside fare zones', but it also says this for Hertford East and you can use an Oystercard there
No, outside the Oyster (and Contactless) area. Best way to check is whether the station is listed in the TfL single fares finder which East Tilbury isn't.

It is a Project Oval station so at some unknown point Contactless will be valid there.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
East Tilbury isn't shown on the London Rail & Tube map so I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Though now somewhat messy due to the amount of expansions of PAYG validity, it does still show which rules PAYG is valid on.

PeterC

Established Member
East Tilbury isn't shown on the London Rail & Tube map so I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Though now somewhat messy due to the amount of expansions of PAYG validity, it does still show which rules PAYG is valid on.
IIRC there is a longstanding extension of Oyster acceptance on C2C but only as far as Grays.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
IIRC there is a longstanding extension of Oyster acceptance on C2C but only as far as Grays.

Which is shown on the London's Rail & Tube services map (PDF) - this shows both (a) where Oyster & contactless are valid beyond the fare zones, and (b) where only contactless (i.e. not Oyster) is valid beyond the fare zones.

There are no 'hidden extensions' which aren't shown on the map - it's all there.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Which the OP clearly hadn't used.

To be fair to the OP and anyone else with a similar query, I don't think TfL, 'National Rail' or any of the TOCs really flag up that said map is where this information is to be found - they could all do a significantly better job of explaining validity/availability of contactless and Oyster.

I hope there are plans in hand for properly communicating the Project Oval expansions.

Last edited:

Somewhere

Which the OP clearly hadn't used.
Which the OP clearly had, as that is where the query comes from. The map doesn't say that Oyster/Contactless can be used outside the zones on routes marked on the map, but not in the directions of the arrows to places such as Stansted Airport.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The map doesn't say that Oyster/Contactless can be used outside the zones on routes marked on the map, but not in the directions of the arrows to places such as Stansted Airport.
The map shows everywhere that PAYG is valid, noting that some sections are only available with contactless, not Oyster. I would never assume that it was also valid at the various unnamed stations between the area and selected destinations which are only included to give you an idea of the wider geography.