• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer Allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

uww11x

Hi All, looking for a list of pacer diagrams in the North West and Manchester!

Coming down from Scotland for a few days bashing in June.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It's an awful long time since I've seen any actual diagrams. However Class 142 is more or less Northern's standard traction and the overwhelming majority of traincrew sign them meaning they can turn up almost anywhere at any time though of course electrically worked services are mostly the exception. You won't have to wait long at Piccadilly or Victoria to find one. Also they tend not to work north of Preston and are less common than they used to be east of Todmorden. Appearances on Clitheroes are also unusual.

uww11x

It's an awful long time since I've seen any actual diagrams. However Class 142 is more or less Northern's standard traction and the overwhelming majority of traincrew sign them meaning they can turn up almost anywhere at any time though of course electrically worked services are mostly the exception. You won't have to wait long at Piccadilly or Victoria to find one. Also they tend not to work north of Preston and are less common than they used to be east of Todmorden. Appearances on Clitheroes are also unusual.

Thank you, much appreciated!

mjn

I live near Stalybridge and we get loads of 142s around here (just got off 142044), but the 144s don't venture west of Huddersfield.

For 142s I would say Sheffield, Man Picc, Man Vic, Leeds and Huddersfield are your best bets.

For 144s Sheffield, Leeds and Huddersfield.

Ps if you see 142070 please let me know, it's the only northern one I still need.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I live near Stalybridge and we get loads of 142s around here (just got off 142044), but the 144s don't venture west of Huddersfield.

For 142s I would say Sheffield, Man Picc, Man Vic, Leeds and Huddersfield are your best bets.

For 144s Sheffield, Leeds and Huddersfield.

Ps if you see 142070 please let me know, it's the only northern one I still need.

For 142s. also Liverpool, Southport, Ormskirk, Newcastle and North East

Bevan Price

Established Member
We don't yet know how things will alter after the May timetable change, but the previous suggestions will probably not change much by June. Some services on which you are most likely to find at least some 142s are:
Liverpool Lime St - Manchester Oxford Road locals
Manchester Piccadilly - Marple / New Mills Central / Sheffield locals.
Manchester - Wigan Wallgate - Southport / Kirkby services (some of which continue east of Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge or Todmorden/Blackburn.)
There is also one 142 diagram on the Cumbrian Coast line (Carlisle - Barrow), and unless things have changed recently, there are usually several per day on the Carlisle - Newcastle (& beyond) services.

Note - it is quite common to see 150s or 156s on some of these services each day.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
We don't yet know how things will alter after the May timetable change, but the previous suggestions will probably not change much by June. Some services on which you are most likely to find at least some 142s are:
Liverpool Lime St - Manchester Oxford Road locals
Manchester Piccadilly - Marple / New Mills Central / Sheffield locals.
Manchester - Wigan Wallgate - Southport / Kirkby services (some of which continue east of Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge or Todmorden/Blackburn.)
There is also one 142 diagram on the Cumbrian Coast line (Carlisle - Barrow), and unless things have changed recently, there are usually several per day on the Carlisle - Newcastle (& beyond) services.

Note - it is quite common to see 150s or 156s on some of these services each day.

The best way to put it is that very few of Northern's diesel operated routes see only one type of unit unlike most other TOCs. This is why some on here like to talk about Northern having a Random Unit Generator. All that can be said is that certain types are more or less likely on particular routes but hard and fast "rules" are few and far between. If 142s weren't such nasty contraptions this situation might be seen as providing welcome variety.

Eric

The best way to put it is that very few of Northern's diesel operated routes see only one type of unit unlike most other TOCs. This is why some on here like to talk about Northern having a Random Unit Generator. All that can be said is that certain types are more or less likely on particular routes but hard and fast "rules" are few and far between. If 142s weren't such nasty contraptions this situation might be seen as providing welcome variety.

On the Leeds to Manchester Victoria route yesterday I saw 142s, 155s, 158s and 150s.

Real mixed bag.

Basher

Hi all, I'm trying to photograph all the class 142 before they disappear. I would appreciate if anyone out there knows where the following units are working, 142001,142005,142033,142038,142045,142061,142072,142075. I live in the Darlington area. thanks

uww11x

Hi all, I'm trying to photograph all the class 142 before they disappear. I would appreciate if anyone out there knows where the following units are working, 142001,142005,142033,142038,142045,142061,142072,142075. I live in the Darlington area. thanks

For specific allocations I would recommend visiting the tops page

Status
Not open for further replies.