• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer from Doncaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondi

I'm likely to be in Doncaster on the 19th/20th November. After my previous attempt to travel on a Pacer failed, I'll be trying again.

After a few searches on here and Flickr it looks like my best hope will be a service to Sheffield. Is it worth getting a SYConnect+ ticket and hopping around until one turns up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
The SY Connect+ is a good ticket, Pacers in Doncaster will most likely pop up on the Sheffield - Hull stoppers, Sheffield - Adwick stoppers & the Doncaster - S-Thorpe stoppers. The hourly fast Sheffield - Hull* services tend to be 158s.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
SYConnect+ seems like a good option. The majority of services on those routes mentioned by Kite159 are pacers, and if you hop over to Sheffield, you'll see even more, adding in the various stoppers to Leeds via Barnsley or Moorthorpe and to Huddersfield, which also are pacer strongholds.
Since the timetable change, those Doncaster-Scunthorpe stoppers are the services using platform 0, and have all been pacers whenever I've seen or travelled on them. I think 2 units shuttle to and fro pretty much all day.

_toommm_

Established Member
To maximise Pacer usage:
  • Doncaster to Thorne North (as long as it's a service originating from Sheffield and going all stops to Hull)
  • Doncaster to Thorne South (Normally 144)
  • Doncaster to Sheffield (as long as it's all stops via Rotherham Central)
  • Sheffield to Denby Dale (Class 144)
  • Sheffield to Darton (Class 142/144)
  • Sheffield to Moorthorpe (Class 142/144)
  • Sheffield to Dore (Occasionally 142)
All of these journeys are possible with a SYConnect+, even though some of the destinations are in West Yorkshire.

Sheffield to Kiveton Park is normally a 158, and any service which goes Sheffield to Barnsley calling at Meadowhall only will be a 150 or a 158.

EDIT: Sheffield to Adwick too, just make sure you don't join a service that starts at Doncaster as that is more often than not a 321/322.

robbeech

Established Member
Also worth noting that it’s about a 15 to 20 minute walk between South Elmsall and Moorthorpe on the 2 different lines which may be helpful.

The Sheffield to York via Pontefract are generally pacers too, they’re fairly infrequent but travel up via Moorthorpe so are valid to there on your proposed ticket.

Some of the Manchester stoppers are pacers which you could get as far as Dore, though it’s been a 150 the last few times I’ve seen it. Worth remembering that from Dore if the connections don’t line up to get back you can always get a bus on that ticket as it’s not too far.

ondi

Thanks for all your help everyone. Hopping around Doncaster/Sheffield managed to get my fair share of pacers - including a Super Pacer from Thorne South.

The heavy rain yesterday afternoon gave me the true Pacer experience - raining as much inside as it was outside, and standing room only!

The ride wasn't as bumpy/uncomfortable as I expected though. Perhaps I'm used to sitting on the London Underground!

Status
Not open for further replies.