• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair G.

Hi all,

Just trying to find out some info in the pacers. Trying to film a bunch of them before they go out of action. Just wondering if anyone can help me with some of the questions below please

1) Does GWR still have any pacers and where’s best to maximise seeing them?

2) I’m off to Cardiff in May. I’ve read that Wales are close to getting rid of their stock (even advertising the fact on the side of some their trains) will I still see plenty of pacers in Cardiff come May?

3) I know Northern have a ton of pacers as well, I’m planning a few trips to places such as Leeds, York, Hull, Manchester and Doncaster. But is there anywhere else people an suggest?

4) I’ve racked my brains but that’s al the companies I can think of who now have pacers. Am I missing any and if so what locations would be best to try?

5) when is the final date for these units before finally being axed?

Thanks for taking a look at these questions guys. Any information is much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
1) GWR currently operate 8 Pacers that are all based on local services around Exeter, so you can very much see them on services to Exmouth, Barnstaple and Paignton.

2) There will still be plenty of Pacers on the Valleys network in May.

4) Only Northern, GWR and TfW still operate Pacers.

5) The units (except 144012) have to be removed from service by Jan 2020 as they will not have DDA mods and will therefore not be compliant with new government legislation however some TOCs may withdraw them sooner, I don’t think there are any dates confirmed but GWR and TfW are definitely not ready to release their units yet.

I’m not sure about number 3.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
5) The units (except 144012) have to be removed from service by Jan 2020 as they will not have DDA mods and will therefore not be compliant with new government legislation however some TOCs may withdraw them sooner,
You must be one of the very few people in the world who still believes that.

As for Northern Pacers. York is fairly pointless as it doesn't get many at all. Come May I don't think Hull will get any. There are a few at Doncaster but more at Sheffield. Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester (both Vic and Picc) and Sheffield are probably the best hunting grounds.

Parallel

Established Member
You must be one of the very few people in the world who still believes that.

I don’t believe it, I think the bulk of Pacers will still be in service in December 2019. However anything is possible on the railway!

tbtc

Veteran Member
3) I know Northern have a ton of pacers as well, I’m planning a few trips to places such as Leeds, York, Hull, Manchester and Doncaster. But is there anywhere else people an suggest?

Other than the hourly Doncaster - Scunthorpe service, you won't see any Pacers running in Doncaster/ Hull that you won't see in Sheffield/ Meadowhall (and I've not seen one in York for some time) - other than occasional Hope Valley services (mainly 150 operated nowadays) you won't see any Pacers running in Sheffield that you won't see at Meadowhall - so I'd recommend Meadowhall as somewhere to see a larger number in a shorter space of time - that way you get the various Huddersfield / Leeds/ Adwick/ Hull - Sheffield services in both directions.

Another advantage of Sheffield/Meadowhall is that (unlike some of the other locations listed) you've got 142s *and* 144s.

Meadowhall also has TPE/ XC/ freight/ trams, so there are other things to watch.

I don't know if you want to *see* Pacers, ride on them or film them (as a priority)?

If you buy a SYPTE ticket, you can ride regular Pacers from Meadowhall to Sheffield and back several times each hour - it's only a five minute journey and there are nine services per hour between the stations - so you could stand at Meadowhall and jump on the first Pacer to Sheffield then hang around the middle platforms at Sheffield (many Pacers go from the bay platforms 3/4 at the northern end) and jump on the next Pacer back to Meadowhall). Whereas at Manchester/ Leeds, there are a number of Pacers but spread over lots of lines so you might not get much haulage.

However (due to lack of local "sheds" etc) there are often a few Pacers sitting idle at Sheffield, either the sidings at the southern end of the station or on the middle roads - on a Sunday you might get half a dozen lined up in a row at Sheffield - if you want to see them (rather than seeing them moving).

Happy hunting!

Alistair G.

Thank for the info guys, sounds like I saved myself from a long trip to York for not much reason!

I will be trying Sheffield and I though probably best at Meadowhall (can spot the tram at the same time then!)

Dave91131

In the Manchester area Salford Crescent may be worth a visit too, although not great for photos - everything pacer operated at Manchester Victoria will pass through Salford Crescent (apart from maybe one unit shuttling back and forth between Victoria and Stalybridge).

Oxford Road too - you'll get all trains which pass through platforms 13 & 14 at Piccadilly as well as the half-hourly Oxford Road - Liverpool service which frequently produces pacers.

Good luck.

thenorthern

Established Member
Greater Manchester particularly Manchester Piccadilly is a good spot to see Class 142, Leeds I would say is best for Class 144.

The Cumbrian Coast Line occasionally has Pacers but its rare so its not worth going there expecting to see a pacer.

NoOnesFool

Greater Manchester particularly Manchester Piccadilly is a good spot to see Class 142, Leeds I would say is best for Class 144.

The Cumbrian Coast Line occasionally has Pacers but its rare so its not worth going there expecting to see a pacer.
Cleethorpes can also see pacers too.

thenorthern

Established Member
Regarding the Pacer withdrawal I can't see it happening on time given that the Class 195s haven't even got a date for introduction let alone being introduced.

Jozhua

Established Member
In the Manchester area Salford Crescent may be worth a visit too, although not great for photos - everything pacer operated at Manchester Victoria will pass through Salford Crescent (apart from maybe one unit shuttling back and forth between Victoria and Stalybridge).
^^I can confirm we do get a lot of Pacers at Salford Crescent. Probably most common after 150's. Also get 156's, some 319's and the very occasional 185 if they tickle your fancy!

Steamie Boxes

The Cumbrian Coast hasn’t seen a pacer for months, I live around 1/2 mile from the line so see most trains.

Chris217

Sheffield area is best for 144s.
You won't see them all there though as a handful usually operate Leeds area services too.
Some 144s work towards Retford too so won't be seen at Meadowhall,although they do return on Barnsley bound services eventually!
Sheffield area tickets you need a South Yorkshire travel card. Also valid on trams
And buses
And valid in Doncaster.

At Leeds you'll need a West Yorkshire travel card. Also valid on local buses.

As said above
142s at Manchester Piccadilly and Victoria
are pretty much frequently seen on local services and usually there and back in about 2-3hrs or less.
Oxford Rd-Liverpool Lime Street service operated by Pacers won't be seen at Piccadilly. The best Tickets for Most local services here if you are chasing units for haulage Would be
Greater Manchester Wayfarer day ticket.
These are also valid on most buses in Manchester PTE area and on Metrolink Trams too.

In Exeter,I was down there about 2 months ago and got 7 out of the 8 for haulage on a local ticket (Devon day ranger)
Nearly always on Paington,Exmouth and Barnstaple routes which go through Exeter St David's.
You will also see GWR and SWR trains there too.

In Cardiff you can travel all Valley Lines with a Valley Lines day Ranger.
That includes Cardiff Bay,
Barry Island,Penarth,Coryton, Rhymney,Treherbert ,Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil branches.
You could scratch virtually everything that moves if you are out long enough lol.

Last edited:

Chris217

In the North East,there are several day ticket types for local travel and offer,Rail,bus and or Metro travel combined

But not too many Pacers up here,although you do see some!
The ones you see here won't be the same ones you'd see in Manchester,although some of the Heaton ones venture South on occasions.

M60lad

What do Northern use on their Leeds-York via Harrogate services these days as I'm sure that this route used to regularly have Pacers allocated to it?

Also I'm sure Leeds-Lancaster via Skipton usualy throws up a Pacer daily still these days

darloscott

Harrogate's are usually 170s although what will work them after May is up for question, the rest of the diagrams (2 or 3) are a mix of 144's and 150's I think? There is still the odd run by 155's (the Leeds-Hull via Harrogate for example).

PomWombat

The Harrogate line is also starting to get a few 158s thrown on there. Seemingly when low on 170s.

Pacers pretty much only appear in the extra peak services, but not in the daytime diagrams.

clagmonster

Established Member
Cleethorpes can also see pacers too.
Only on the Saturday only Sheffield via Brigg services.

The Harrogate line is also starting to get a few 158s thrown on there. Seemingly when low on 170s.

Pacers pretty much only appear in the extra peak services, but not in the daytime diagrams.
Sundays are a good bet for a daytime pacer on the Harrogate Loop. 142s seem more common.

Saltburn to Bishop Auckland is another good stronghold.

TheSel

The interworked services:
Preston - Colne
Preston - Blackpool South
Preston - Ormskirk
... are all good bets for pacers - so add Preston to your list as a destination.

ash39

Established Member
Still plenty of Pacers in York, though admittedly it wouldn't be the best place to go if you're after volume.

Now summer is coming up, if you want novelty value there's an ECS working from York to Heaton (Newcastle) every night which sees a pair bouncing up the ECML at speed! Leaves York just after 1900 IIRC

Matt_pool

You sometimes get Pacers on Liverpool - Piccadilly - Manchester Airport. Imagine starting or ending your holiday by having to bounce along on a 2 carriage Pacer with next to no luggage storage and probably rammed during rush hour!

Parallel

Established Member
You sometimes get Pacers on Liverpool - Piccadilly - Manchester Airport. Imagine starting or ending your holiday by having to bounce along on a 2 carriage Pacer with next to no luggage storage and probably rammed during rush hour!
They are also known to turn up on Fishguard - Cardiff services on occasion. I hope the Irish Sea isn’t choppy for those catching the train afterwards!

Class455

Established Member
The Penistone line between Sheffield and Huddersfield has a guaranteed Class 144 although 150's do occasionally cover

M60lad

Now not to sure why this happens but Mon-Fri 19:14 Sheffield-Piccadilly is booked 2x142 but for some reasons on Saturdays the same service despite being just as busy is just 1x142

Status
Not open for further replies.