• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to St. Ives on the Night Riviera - Friday 12 April

chrisp37

I am trying to book a trip on the Night Riviera on Friday 12 April from Paddington to St. Ives. The GWR website is not giving me the option of getting the Night Riviera all the way to St. Erth; the only itinerary it offers me is to get the sleeper to Plymouth, arriving at 5.10, and then changing onto a 5.15 connecting service to St. Erth. I don't want to do that. I thought maybe all sleeper services were terminating at Plymouth that day as a result of engineering works but when I change the destination to Penzance it is showing the sleeper as going all the way. I don't want to book the journey on the website and find that I am meant to be vacating my berth at Plymouth ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richardderby

book to Penzance, and either have a complementary shower in the arrivals lounge at Penzance, and take the 0840 direct to St Ives from Penzance (arr 0900), or get off at St Erth and take the connection arriving at 0800. the fares on the branch are cheap (£3 or £4 all day rover), the train is running to Penzance according to realtraintimes, but waits at Plymouth for some time on arrival 0510 to 0548 with an earlier non sleeper departure at 0515.

chrisp37

Thanks. I actually ended up booking it over the phone. The guy I spoke to wasn't sure why the website wasn't displaying the direct to St Erth option but he was able to book it on his system. Whilst what you suggested did occur to me, booking over the phone saved me money anyway, as the berth supplement was £120 over the phone but £151 on the GWR website. Not sure the reason for the price discrepancy ...

Sleepy

Established Member
Sleeper staff will be used to booking system doing that, however another workaround is put via Penzance into website (routeing easement) then you can use showers etc. as above.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Just to add that the showers at Penzance are very nice. Unless you need to be in St Ives particularly early it's certainly the best option.
The on board staff are used to it and as long as you explain, and have valid tickets, when you board it won't be an issue.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am trying to book a trip on the Night Riviera on Friday 12 April from Paddington to St. Ives. The GWR website is not giving me the option of getting the Night Riviera all the way to St. Erth; the only itinerary it offers me is to get the sleeper to Plymouth, arriving at 5.10, and then changing onto a 5.15 connecting service to St. Erth. I don't want to do that. I thought maybe all sleeper services were terminating at Plymouth that day as a result of engineering works but when I change the destination to Penzance it is showing the sleeper as going all the way. I don't want to book the journey on the website and find that I am meant to be vacating my berth at Plymouth ...
It's a known issue caused by there being a faster connection available from Exeter onwards; as long as the ticket is through to Penzance itself you'll be able to stay in the berth to Penzance - just let the attendant know when you are boarding.

chrisp37

Thanks, all. I now have (booked over the phone) a super off-peak return from Paddington to St. Ives, plus the berth supplement. If we did decide we wanted to use the showers at Penzance and then double back to St Ives via St Erth, could we still do that on this ticket? The reference to the easement above suggests we could but would we need an express "via Penzance" ticket for that?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks, all. I now have (booked over the phone) a super off-peak return from Paddington to St. Ives, plus the berth supplement. If we did decide we wanted to use the showers at Penzance and then double back to St Ives via St Erth, could we still do that on this ticket? The reference to the easement above suggests we could but would we need an express "via Penzance" ticket for that?
I think you'd almost certainly need a St Erth - Penzance return ticket for that unless your ticket specifically states via Penzance on it.

chrisp37

Cheers. Looks like it would only be £2.60 each with a Two Together so I think we can spare that!

Assume there would then be no issue in staying on the sleeper for the extra stop with a St Erth - Penzance return? Usually I don't think you would be allowed to board that service at St Erth?

Benjwri

Established Member
I think you'd almost certainly need a St Erth - Penzance return ticket for that unless your ticket specifically states via Penzance on it.
Cheers. Looks like it would only be £2.60 each with a Two Together so I think we can spare that!

Assume there would then be no issue in staying on the sleeper for the extra stop with a St Erth - Penzance return? Usually I don't think you would be allowed to board that service at St Erth?
This is incorrect, you may doubleback between St Erth and Penzance when travelling to St Ives, without an extra ticket, in accordance with Easement 700221:
Customers travelling from, to or via Truro to St Ives, Carbis Bay, Lelant and Lelant Saltings may double back between St Erth and Penzance. This easement applies in both directions.