• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to West Ruislip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ironstone11

I think it's so that drivers know the route in case Chiltern services are diverted to Paddington.

Thanks for that.

I assume that this was part of the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway and the GW route to Birmingham.

mr_moo

It doesn't exist any more. Chiltern have had their rights to run into Paddington removed. It's in preparation for the Crossrail services, HS2 work and Old Oak common re-build.

It's one less operator to deal with during the complex re-build of Paddington thoat to plug in Crossrail and the depot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aictos

Established Member
It doesn't exist any more. Chiltern have had their rights to run into Paddington removed. It's in preparation for the Crossrail services, HS2 work and Old Oak common re-build.

It's one less operator to deal with during the complex re-build of Paddington thoat to plug in Crossrail and the depot.

When did the last service run?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The two services are still showing in RTT as running until the current timetable period ends.

js47604

Not only does it still exist but drivers have been briefed on upcoming signalling alterations for the route. Service to continue for the forseeable future.

berneyarms

Established Member
Although it's keep quite, passengers can use the service both ways.

It is hardly kept quiet - it is in the Chiltern public timetable and the GBTT and on the National Rail website.

10:57 ex-South Ruislip to Paddington.
11:36 ex-Paddington to West Ruislip calling at South Ruislip.

Perhaps the other poster could have checked before posting inaccurate information.

Last edited:

mr_moo

Ok, I was told by a collegue that it had gone. It's certainly going to go as part of the aforementioned works. Sorry!
I shall not trust my collegue as much in future!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ok, I was told by a collegue that it had gone. It's certainly going to go as part of the aforementioned works. Sorry!
I shall not trust my collegue as much in future!

It sounds like what has happened is that a decision has recently been confirmed to cancel the service, but as you suggest only when paths on the route become restricted due to the various works for Crossrail, and although details are lacking, the platform alterations at that side of Paddington for the full post IEP timetable.

I'd be thinking it will coincide with the Greenford service being cut back to West Ealing, which I saw a date for somewhere...

mr_moo

West Drayton bay is "Early 2017":
http://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/200769/major_transport_projects/1906/crossrail

The bay is actually scheduled to be operational well before that but I suspect the change of service may tie into the new station building too.

OTOH, they may build the bay and keep the Paddington-Greenfords going until the Crossrail trains come online as the greenford residents wont want to loose their direct trains to London until they really have to!

SWT_USER

The bay is actually scheduled to be operational well before that but I suspect the change of service may tie into the new station building too.

OTOH, they may build the bay and keep the Paddington-Greenfords going until the Crossrail trains come online as the greenford residents wont want to loose their direct trains to London until they really have to!

Greenford residents have plenty of direct trains to London on the Central Line.

rmt4ever

South Greenford and Castle Bar don't tho

I remember getting the Padd train much by mistake at S Ruislip it was about 8 years ago and the train was very busy, I think back then it came in from further afield I.e. High Wycombe or somewhere. It still then went out to West Ruislip. Shame that ended really

berneyarms

Established Member

I think you mean West Ealing - if it's West Drayton, there will be some very confused Greenford line passengers!!

TEW

Established Member
It sounds like what has happened is that a decision has recently been confirmed to cancel the service, but as you suggest only when paths on the route become restricted due to the various works for Crossrail, and although details are lacking, the platform alterations at that side of Paddington for the full post IEP timetable.

I'd be thinking it will coincide with the Greenford service being cut back to West Ealing, which I saw a date for somewhere...

Presumably the line will still have to go through the formal closure procedure before the service is withdrawn. Once they finally got round to withdrawing the Southern Kensington Olympian-Wandsworth Road service it didn't seem like too difficult a process though. Isn't the line used by the Chiltern parliamentary planned to be closed anyway as part of HS2, with HS2 reusing the formation.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably the line will still have to go through the formal closure procedure before the service is withdrawn. Once they finally got round to withdrawing the Southern Kensington Olympian-Wandsworth Road service it didn't seem like too difficult a process though. Isn't the line used by the Chiltern parliamentary planned to be closed anyway as part of HS2, with HS2 reusing the formation.

As just noted, the line itself isn't closing now. I believe the reason the Chiltern service will cease is down to reduced capacity in the approaches to Paddington itself, and rearrangement of the terminating platform usage after Crossrail.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As just noted, the line itself isn't closing now. I believe the reason the Chiltern service will cease is down to reduced capacity in the approaches to Paddington itself, and rearrangement of the terminating platform usage after Crossrail.

Regardless of whether the line is closing or not (or closing later), the fact remains that a passenger service between Paddington and West Ruislip is being withdrawn and therefore a formal "withdrawal of scheduled railway passenger services" consultation exercise needs to be undertaken (like the Ealing - Wandsworth case).

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
There's a rumour doing the rounds that, post-Crossrail, there will be a Paddington - Gerrards Cross shuttle service via the New North Main Line, with the "mainline" platforms at Greenford reopening to accommodate same.

Doesn't solve the "problem" of providing a more frequent service at the Sudburys and Northolt Park though.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I assume that this was part of the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway and the GW route to Birmingham.

I believe the section through Greenford was GW only, but built to connect to the Joint line which started at Northolt Jn.

The Planner

Veteran Member
There's a rumour doing the rounds that, post-Crossrail, there will be a Paddington - Gerrards Cross shuttle service via the New North Main Line, with the "mainline" platforms at Greenford reopening to accommodate same.

Dont be so sure of that, the proposed new link to the WCML makes that an issue.

NSE

Established Member
So how long do I have to go use this service before it goes permanently?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think it's since been decided that HS2 will be tunnelled there

Last I heard was that this was correct, but that the ventilation shafts and possibly parts of the Old Oak station block the route so it would be closed anyway. Which seems like a missed opportunity given the lack of rail capacity out of London.

Class 170101

Established Member
Even if the route via Park Royal was closed the route between Paddington and West Ruislip via South Greenford would still remain so Chiltern could go that way instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.