• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to West Ruislip

Status
Not open for further replies.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
I agree, but I'd have thought the same is true of Greenford West Junction to Old Oak Common West Junction (and will indeed be more so when Crossrail starts and paths on the inner GWML become scarcer)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Has anyone unpicked the HS2 documentation to understand exactly where these ventilation shafts are proposed to be? The OOC station box wouldn't affect Northolt to Greenford.

js47604

It won't close,however there a long list of separate signalling alterations to be briefed ov er the coming year.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Has anyone unpicked the HS2 documentation to understand exactly where these ventilation shafts are proposed to be? The OOC station box wouldn't affect Northolt to Greenford.

The 'design refinements' consultation led to a report in 2013 that confirmed that the DfT were approving the tunnel, it includes this:

A small number of consultees were concerned that the location of the vent shafts might prevent future development of the Northolt rail corridor. HS2 Ltd will work with Network Rail to reduce as far as reasonably practicable the future impact on any likely developments of the corridor.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/310043/gov-res-northolt-bromford.pdf

That's all I found, there doesn't seem to be detailed drawings immediately available...

RPM

Established Member
The 'design refinements' consultation led to a report in 2013 that confirmed that the DfT were approving the tunnel, it includes this:

That's all I found, there doesn't seem to be detailed drawings immediately available...

I read that to mean the ventilation shafts might prevent double track being reinstated rather than they might cause the line to be closed.

cjp

Why, with a bit of thought, could a ventilation shaft not be designed so that a track could go across the top? Surely the airflow would not be greatly impeded if it was suitably sized.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Why, with a bit of thought, could a ventilation shaft not be designed so that a track could go across the top? Surely the airflow would not be greatly impeded if it was suitably sized.

Provided dump toilets have been abolished by then? :D

It's probably more complicated that that, especially as they may actually be "intervention shafts" with facilities for emergency service access and evacuation of stranded passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.