• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris Trip Advice

SeanG

We are in Paris for a day next week and will be making 2 or 3 metro/RER journeys in the city centre. what is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get tickets for two people? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think the t+ tickets, which cost around 2.15 euros each, is what you are after if staying mainly within the central Paris area. I've used those in the past to take the RER between Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon, and believe they work on the metro and buses as well.

stuu

Established Member
If you are making 4 or more journeys it's worth getting a day pass. You can buy singles and day passes on the RATP app, although it can be temperamental

SeanG

Thanks folks. Think we will just stick with paper tickets. I had it in my head that they were a thing of the past

Flying Snail

Established Member
Thanks folks. Think we will just stick with paper tickets. I had it in my head that they were a thing of the past

They are doing away with them but it seems to be stretching out for a very long time. Just be aware that the t+ tickets are valid for all of the Metro lines but only on the RER in the central Zone 1.

Brooke

Paper carnets of 10 tickets are withdrawn, so the discount on a book of 10 is now only with a Navigo Easy pass (one time cost of 2 EUR).

Paper tickets still exist for one time journeys especially outside the metro perimeter (eg to Disney or Versailles).

I think paper tickets also still exist for day passes at this time.

Just remember not to hold a paper ticket by your mobile phone otherwise it will get demagnetised and stop working.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Paper carnets of 10 tickets are withdrawn, so the discount on a book of 10 is now only with a Navigo Easy pass (one time cost of 2 EUR).

Paper tickets still exist for one time journeys especially outside the metro perimeter (eg to Disney or Versailles).

I think paper tickets also still exist for day passes at this time.

Just remember not to hold a paper ticket by your mobile phone otherwise it will get demagnetised and stop working.

I bought a new carnet of 10 single card tickets in December - they were still available then, sold in the buffet of London-Paris Eurostar trains.

For me, the traditional little card tickets are the easiest option for a handful of metro/RER/bus journeys during a short time in Paris. And of course, buying a (discounted) bundle of 10 means you can share them round everyone in your group.

stuu

Established Member
I think that’s a urban myth to be honest
Of course it isn't. Happened to me in August... the person at the desk had a pad to note down all the replacements, she was at the bottom of the page for that day at lunchtime

Brooke

I bought a new carnet of 10 single card tickets in December - they were still available then, sold in the buffet of London-Paris Eurostar trains.

For me, the traditional little card tickets are the easiest option for a handful of metro/RER/bus journeys during a short time in Paris. And of course, buying a (discounted) bundle of 10 means you can share them round everyone in your group.
Interesting - at my local metro station here in Paris, they are long gone!