• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parts of 7027 Thornbury Castle to be used for new build 47XX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Think it is a bit naughty telling people to consider another hobby because their views differ.
There are many differing views and everybody is entitled to theirs.
I would love to see Thornbury restored and have little interest in new builds, but that is just my opinion.
Unfortunately economics and money will dictate what actually happens.
The point surely is that 40 odd years have elapsed since 7027 was dragged out the scrapyard and into a place where work could be done - but hasn't. An alternate future has been found for 7027 whereupon there has been opposition to it.

From a logical point of view I would prefer to see a preserved 47xx rather than a rusty old bogie-less castle, but I appreciate I ma in the minority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The point surely is that 40 odd years have elapsed since 7027 was dragged out the scrapyard and into a place where work could be done - but hasn't. An alternate future has been found for 7027 whereupon there has been opposition to it.

From a logical point of view I would prefer to see a preserved 47xx rather than a rusty old bogie-less castle, but I appreciate I ma in the minority.
I think the point is that you can’t just go to Woolworths and buy another genuine Castle. By destroying 7027 another genuine loco is lost. Surely it would be cheaper in the long run to build a 47xx from scratch rather than bastardise parts from another loco?

D6968

There has been work done to 7027 though, originally at Tyseley, work was then suspended in favour of 5080, Mr Waterman did a little bit, (new tender tank comes to mind) it really isn’t the no hoper that certain people (and members of the press) want to paint the picture of being a Barry Wreck.
It’s a locomotive that could have a decent future as a Castle, not as a kit of parts that someone wants to red pen in their Platform 5 of another locomotive class that disappeared in the 1960’s.

Brush 4

Wyrleybart
The 47XX can be built from scratch, as the A1 Trust have proved, twice so far. Nobody wants to see a rusty old bogie-less Castle, they want to see a restored 7027

Wyrleybart

Established Member
There has been work done to 7027 though, originally at Tyseley, work was then suspended in favour of 5080, Mr Waterman did a little bit, (new tender tank comes to mind) it really isn’t the no hoper that certain people (and members of the press) want to paint the picture of being a Barry Wreck.
It’s a locomotive that could have a decent future as a Castle, not as a kit of parts that someone wants to red pen in their Platform 5 of another locomotive class that disappeared in the 1960’s.
Well that is fine then. I admire your confidence in 7027 returning to steam in it's own right.. Maybe the "Night Owl" project have to reassess their project and have their bits manufactured from other sources, but I ask the question - how many steamable Castles can be supported in preservation. Obviously Jeremy Hosking's 5029 at Crewe, 5043 and 7029 at Tyseley and 4079 and 5080 at Didcot. Can any revenue be attracted to restore another active Castle. albeit not on Network Rail, as I understand Didcot's won't be anymore. As I have stated 7027 has not been signifcantly restored for over 40 years

1Q18

Well that is fine then. I admire your confidence in 7027 returning to steam in it's own right.. Maybe the "Night Owl" project have to reassess their project and have their bits manufactured from other sources, but I ask the question - how many steamable Castles can be supported in preservation. Obviously Jeremy Hosking's 5029 at Crewe, 5043 and 7029 at Tyseley and 4079 and 5080 at Didcot. Can any revenue be attracted to restore another active Castle. albeit not on Network Rail, as I understand Didcot's won't be anymore. As I have stated 7027 has not been signifcantly restored for over 40 years
Just a minor correction, Didcot’s two Castles are 4079 and 5051, 5080 is a Tyseley engine.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are many people on the GCR who would dispute that last sentence,as posts and pictures earlier in this thread (posts #85 - #92) clearly show.

D6968

There are many people on the GCR who would dispute that last sentence,as posts and pictures earlier in this thread (posts #85 - #92) clearly show.
Indeed Phil, that is the point I’m making, bits and pieces have been done to 7027 over the years, certainly recently at Loughborough work has been done that I’d class as significant.

Bessie

Interesting to see the GCR have secured the purchase of 9F 92214. Both this engine and 7027 had the same owner. Were both offered for sale to GCR?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Interesting to see the GCR have secured the purchase of 9F 92214. Both this engine and 7027 had the same owner. Were both offered for sale to GCR?
I may be totally wrong, but the announcement by the GCR (see the separate topic) doesn't mention that the railway has bought the loco, just that an agreement has been reached that it will stay there for the foreseeable future. I guess that Flying Phil will be able to confirm or deny this?

Mogulb

I may be totally wrong, but the announcement by the GCR (see the separate topic) doesn't mention that the railway has bought the loco, just that an agreement has been reached that it will stay there for the foreseeable future. I guess that Flying Phil will be able to confirm or deny this?
92214 has been purchased by the David Clarke Railway Trust with the help of an anonymous donor. DCRT is the main supporting charity of the GCR.

1Q18

If they were or weren’t, I’d imagine the 9F would always have been a far more tempting ownership proposition for the the GCR/DCRT than the Castle.

heathrowrail

As others have said not strictly true. Johnathan Pratt Jones did a lot as was shown on BBC Points West, I don't exactly understand why he sold it but I know he did on the basis work would continue. If the owner had not sadly passed away we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
As others have said not strictly true. Johnathan Pratt Jones did a lot as was shown on BBC Points West, I don't exactly understand why he sold it but I know he did on the basis work would continue. If the owner had not sadly passed away we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Really don't know, but I would have thought that if 7027 was so important to JJP he would not have sold it. Relying on trust doesn't always work out in our lives.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I do not believe that Mr Gregory (Who paid for the locomotive from Mr Pratt) has passed away. He, or his family trust, have had a review and then sold it to the 47xx/GWS ish group. Who have "paused" the purchase or some such.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I do not believe that Mr Gregory (Who paid for the locomotive from Mr Pratt) has passed away. He, or his family trust, have had a review and then sold it to the 47xx/GWS ish group. Who have "paused" the purchase or some such.

Thanks for that "Flying Phil".
Makes a lot of sense. So 7027 wasn't owned by the GCR then and the family have decided to sell ikt on.

heathrowrail

I'm sure I saw that on a statement released but doesn't appear to be the case. https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2022/0...ornbury-castle-return-to-steam-after-all.html Very naughty! If it was sold in good faith then that's a breach of contract surely? I believe 4709 group own it and have given a 6 months timescale for sale or they will break her up.

Trainlog

I mean its not the castle news we have wanted :lol:, but a good read none the less of Defiant's restoration.

Admittedly there has been Zero progress from any form of news on what is going on with Thornbury Castle, but seeming as Didcot's Castle gala is coming up in March would a deal by striked up there and then to save Thornbury? or would it be an awkward topic during the event if the 4709 group hasn't changed its mind.

Bessie

Admittedly there has been Zero progress from any form of news on what is going on with Thornbury Castle, but seeming as Didcot's Castle gala is coming up in March would a deal by striked up there and then to save Thornbury? or would it be an awkward topic during the event if the 4709 group hasn't changed its mind.
A deal requires another interested party to come forward with funding. The six month window runs until April. The 4709 group is based at Tyseley so in the absence of any deal it's logical that 7027 could be back at Tyseley later this year.

Trainlog

Though i am not surprised by the outcome i like many others are gutted by the decision that Thornbury Castle is no more and will be part of the new 47xx loco. I do think the 47xx group should be at least given credit that they did listen to the criticism and allowed for this period of time to take place for an opportunity for the loco to be saved. Its a shame as i would have loved to have seen Thornbury be a main attraction at the GCR as they would have taken good care of her and the fact that the project was doing so well up until last summer just makes the news even sadder.

I do believe though that a lesson can be taken away from this is that societies should be clear that when they want to save something such as a Barry scrapyard, communication with potential financial donors is essential - even if its a website with a monthly blog update. its clear from many railway forums/platforms etc that there was potential for the money to be raised but there was nowhere for armchair or HR volunteers to send any help to Jonathan Jones Pratt to help him rescue it back and looking back at it both parties have lost out on any valuable action for nearly 3/4 of a year.

Though the 47xx will be nice, as much as i like Didcot railway centre i do think its rather anticlimatic that none of these new build locos will be mainline certified - i appreciate that its very expensive to do but i do think the fact there has been so many people that have donated to the projects with hopes of them running at speed on the mainline to be told 'Gala appearances at large heritage railways' from now on must be quite frustrating, maybe with the Tyseley deal they could think about revisiting it?

Sheldonian

A good summary Trainlog and agree with you.
Like you, i am dissapointed by the news, but do give Didcot credit for giving time for a buyer.
To be fair, in the current financial climate, it was always a long shot.
In the longer term, i am sure that someone would have taken on this job and finished it.
I think Thornbury would have been superb at GCR, where it could have been pride of the fleet or even on the main line if one of the main players had become involved. Would have been fantastic on tours to the south West. However not to be.
Real shame there wasnt an alternative boiler (second hand or new).
I personally dont have any interest in creating pretend engines from the bits of real engines. Especially when sacrificing a celebrity for a plain freight engine that will only appeal to a minority.
However, appreciate that others are that way inclined and if they are the ones with the time, labour and money then they can pretty much do what they like.

MarkyT

Established Member
A good summary Trainlog and agree with you.
Like you, i am dissapointed by the news, but do give Didcot credit for giving time for a buyer.
To be fair, in the current financial climate, it was always a long shot.
In the longer term, i am sure that someone would have taken on this job and finished it.
I think Thornbury would have been superb at GCR, where it could have been pride of the fleet or even on the main line if one of the main players had become involved. Would have been fantastic on tours to the south West. However not to be.
Real shame there wasnt an alternative boiler (second hand or new).
I personally dont have any interest in creating pretend engines from the bits of real engines. Especially when sacrificing a celebrity for a plain freight engine that will only appeal to a minority.
However, appreciate that others are that way inclined and if they are the ones with the time, labour and money then they can pretty much do what they like.
Amazing how much argument this has generated. The boiler is only one, admittedly large, component being used, and the 47xx class was used on heavy long-distance summer passenger services, so a modern example could be an interesting and very capable mainline loco if able to be certified. With the castle boiler reducing weight a little, the loco could have greater route availability than the originals' rather limited range of operations, notwithstanding that traditional routes generally have had axle load capability increased. It's important to ensure now that frames and all other surviving components from 7027 are properly safeguarded so something positive can be achieved with them in the future if and when money becomes available.

Sheldonian

We all have differing thoughts, views, ideas and values and i think all should be tollerant of that.
Some people are bound to be more sentimental than others.
All irrelevant now a decision has been taken.

MarkyT

Established Member
We all have differing thoughts, views, ideas and values and i think all should be tollerant of that.
Some people are bound to be more sentimental than others.
All irrelevant now a decision has been taken.
Agree completely. I am totally unsentimental about any particular bag of frames, cylinders, rods, wheels, nuts and bolts that forms the current embodiment of a locomotive. To me, it's the design that's important, so a recreation, especially if some invisible improvements can be incorporated in design, materials etc without spoiling the appearance is as good if not better than the original. That's the spirit of engineering in my eyes. For mainline running especially, engineering expediency always beats conservation of materials. I fully accept that others may feel differently.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I have no views on this either way, but on a recent visit to the GCR, I saw the boiler from 7027 at Quorn & Woodhouse. It was on a wagon with no obvious sight of the frame; a tender was nearby, although I don't know whether that belonged to 7027 as well.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Agree completely. I am totally unsentimental about any particular bag of frames, cylinders, rods, wheels, nuts and bolts that forms the current embodiment of a locomotive. To me, it's the design that's important, so a recreation, especially if some invisible improvements can be incorporated in design, materials etc without spoiling the appearance is as good if not better than the original. That's the spirit of engineering in my eyes. For mainline running especially, engineering expediency always beats conservation of materials. I fully accept that others may feel differently.
I tend to agree to the most part. L:ocomotives and traction have evolved over time and that has to be a good thing. much as I absolutely love the big 1 Co Co 1 diesels and they are my favourite diesel locos, designs advanced and a class 60 could easily handle twice of more the size of a "peak". So the Ivatt recreation, whilst having an authentic power unit and sounding something like, will actually be a much more modern and efficient locomotive under the skin. The Ivatt originals had a vacuum brakes under the loco which would be much more cumbersome to drive than a loco with a straight air brake.

Obviously this wouldn't apply with the "Night owl" project because AIUI it is being built to original spec drawings, just maybe a different boiler if the 7027's is to be used.

We only need to look at 71000 to see how advancement in technology helps in modern day heritage rail.

Wolfie

Established Member
I tend to agree to the most part. L:ocomotives and traction have evolved over time and that has to be a good thing. much as I absolutely love the big 1 Co Co 1 diesels and they are my favourite diesel locos, designs advanced and a class 60 could easily handle twice of more the size of a "peak". So the Ivatt recreation, whilst having an authentic power unit and sounding something like, will actually be a much more modern and efficient locomotive under the skin. The Ivatt originals had a vacuum brakes under the loco which would be much more cumbersome to drive than a loco with a straight air brake.

Obviously this wouldn't apply with the "Night owl" project because AIUI it is being built to original spec drawings, just maybe a different boiler if the 7027's is to be used.

We only need to look at 71000 to see how advancement in technology helps in modern day heritage rail.
I have a serious problem with the logic of your last sentence. Heritage rail, by definition to me, should be about the appreciation of heritage not about a pistache using modern technology.

Harvester

Established Member
on a recent visit to the GCR, I saw the boiler from 7027 at Quorn & Woodhouse. It was on a wagon with no obvious sight of the frame; a tender was nearby, although I don't know whether that belonged to 7027 as well.
On a visit to the GCR last September, I also saw the boiler from 7027 stored on a wagon. IIRC it was in a siding at Rothley, so if recently moved to Quorn it looks like departure (by road) to it’s new owner is in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.