• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Past Rolling Stock on the Hull-Scarborough Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
Around 1990 - 1992 I had a number of cab rides as part of work on the railway, but also had a number of trips on the Track Recorder trains 150 based Sprinter and the loco hauled Lab 5.
These trips usually meant an early start on the Hull Dock branch first.

Boysteve

What trains would you have seen at Scarborough in the early 90's

Well on the Coast Route it was mainly pacers with the odd 150/156 from what I remember. From York it as 158's on the hourly service which at the time alternated between Lime Street on the Transpennine route and Blackpool North via Copy Pit. Loco hauled trains were phased out before the onset of privatisation. There was a HST from Glasgow via ECML on summer Saturdays which (obviously) reversed at York.

YorksDMU

I agree with Boysteve. That’s exactly what I recall too.

Now, tonight, I have a photo’ from onboard a Cravens class 105 as it departs from Bridlington station on the 10th September, 1982. It was ex Scarborough, which was a working originally from Hull. I recall there being a small hole just under the window I was sat next to. Of course everything was vibrating and rattling as you would expect.

7D9A4CA5-7FC2-4F7E-981B-583127C80C64.jpeg

Mushroomman

I grew up with this line and its endless variety of DMUs. The staple units were the class 101s during the winter with 108s and 111s (later) mixed in. Class 104 4 car units and Cravens 105s appeared daily in the 70s and 80s. Summer was a different matter as all sorts of exotica made their way to the coast for some sea air. Trains of 7, 9 or even 12 cars were dispatched to deal with the crowds. On a typical 70s Sunday there would be two or three 6 or 7 car dmus in the goods yard, two loco hauled trains in platforms 7 and 8, another in the south sidings and 6 car formations standing in platforms 2,4 and 6. Services on Saturdays would bring class 110s from Bradford and Trans-Pennine units from Manchester.

Things were very busy indeed until the singling of 10 miles of track (!) between Bridlington and Hunmanby in 73 and less busy after that until the closure of Filey Camp in 77. Freight stopped in 1984 ish and Pacers arrived (running in 8 car formations) shortly after. A new clockface timetable saw the abandonment of the intensive Saturdays and gradual sprinterisation continued.

There is a good DVD showing the long formations along the line and at Butlins
Hi there,does anybody remember the rationalisation of Brid station back in the early 80s. When platforms 1 and 2 were taken out of use,and the steam crane from Thornaby was used to lift out the cast iron sections of station road bridge( bridge 19 if memory serves).Also does anybody remember the Saturday only 14:54 to Leicester, again mid 80s.Happy memories too of getting cab rides in 31s,45s,47s out into the sidings to run round the stock of excursions!?

CW2

Established Member
In the late 1970s I lived in York. Money was a bit tight, but I scraped together enough for a Day Ranger ticket and decided I'd head for Scarborough. 37082 arrived on the Chesterfield - Scarborough - excellent, I'll have that then. The only problem was it dropped me into a whirlpool of unattractive dmu / class 47 options at Scarborough. I was to escape the whirlpool with 46033 on the Scarborough - Leicester* when I overheard the platform supervisor say to a colleague "Yeah, it's running about 40 late. It caught fire. They say there's a pair of Type 1s on it." That certainly caught my attention. It was the incoming service from Hull he was referring to. Eventually 20092 and 20131 whistled into the bay platform, smouldering gently, on a rake of early Mk 1 bangers. The fitter gave them the OK to work back, so I had my first ever pair of 20s over new track - standing at the front window to soak up the atmosphere all the way. That was the only occasion I ever saw 20s at Scarborough on a service train.
Alas I didn't own a camera back then, so there are no phots to accompany this tale. But I really enjoyed my debut trip over that line.

* I've a vague idea that the Leicester - Scarborough arrived via York and returned via Bridlington and the Hull avoider. Can anybody confirm?

Veteran Member
Hi there,does anybody remember the rationalisation of Brid station back in the early 80s. When platforms 1 and 2 were taken out of use,and the steam crane from Thornaby was used to lift out the cast iron sections of station road bridge( bridge 19 if memory serves).Also does anybody remember the Saturday only 14:54 to Leicester, again mid 80s.Happy memories too of getting cab rides in 31s,45s,47s out into the sidings to run round the stock of excursions!?
Welcome! Have you seen this very recent thread?
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/when-were-the-bridlington-excursion-platforms-last-used.204441/

alistairlees

Established Member
Hi there,does anybody remember the rationalisation of Brid station back in the early 80s. When platforms 1 and 2 were taken out of use, and the steam crane from Thornaby was used to lift out the cast iron sections of station road bridge( bridge 19 if memory serves).Also does anybody remember the Saturday only 14:54 to Leicester, again mid 80s.Happy memories too of getting cab rides in 31s,45s,47s out into the sidings to run round the stock of excursions!?
The 14.10 Scarborough - Leicester. The only loco hauled service via the Anlaby Road curve in the mid 1980s if I recall correctly. A 45/1 every time I did it!

Mushroomman

The 14.10 Scarborough - Leicester. The only loco hauled service via the Anlaby Road curve in the mid 1980s if I recall correctly. A 45/1 every time I did it!
Correct sir, the highlight of my early teen years. Many a happy Saturday afternoon even in the rain. Got into Flamborough crossing box on a few occasions to photograph it flying past

YorksDMU

Nice to see this delightful thread resurrected. I’ve been looking at some relevent photo’s from a group on Flickr. The photo is by Syd Young, on Flickr. So tonight, I have a photo of a two car class 101 unit at Cottingham in snowy weather. It’s on a service from Hull to Scarborough, and the leading car is E50204. The date is the 11th February 1983.

E50204 Cottingham by Syd Young, on Flickr

Mushroomman

In the late 1970s I lived in York. Money was a bit tight, but I scraped together enough for a Day Ranger ticket and decided I'd head for Scarborough. 37082 arrived on the Chesterfield - Scarborough - excellent, I'll have that then. The only problem was it dropped me into a whirlpool of unattractive dmu / class 47 options at Scarborough. I was to escape the whirlpool with 46033 on the Scarborough - Leicester* when I overheard the platform supervisor say to a colleague "Yeah, it's running about 40 late. It caught fire. They say there's a pair of Type 1s on it." That certainly caught my attention. It was the incoming service from Hull he was referring to. Eventually 20092 and 20131 whistled into the bay platform, smouldering gently, on a rake of early Mk 1 bangers. The fitter gave them the OK to work back, so I had my first ever pair of 20s over new track - standing at the front window to soak up the atmosphere all the way. That was the only occasion I ever saw 20s at Scarborough on a service train.
Alas I didn't own a camera back then, so there are no phots to accompany this tale. But I really enjoyed my debut trip over that line.

* I've a vague idea that the Leicester - Scarborough arrived via York and returned via Bridlington and the Hull avoider. Can anybody confirm?
Yes it did indeed 14:54 off Brid and it used the Anlaby curve,usually a 45/1 or a 47.In its final years it was a class 116,or 117 dmu.

Mushroomman

Anybody remember a summer Sunday evening service from Hull to Brid in 1984,it was a regular 31/4 or the occasional 47. It was 19:05 off Hull and after running round in the sidings at Brid, it was 20:35 return. I think it was extended to Brid from Manchester. Happy days!!!

Mushroomman

Hey up,does anyone remember Sir Lameil number 777 working through Brid but it was stopped,put in the sidings due to a hot axle box. Also anybody remember "Mallard" back in July 88, ambling through Brid??

YorksDMU

Oh, yes. That infamous test run back in March, 1982. Sir Lamiel, 777, set quite a bit of the lineside on fire. It got onto Radio Humberside, and I recall someone official saying that some signal wiring had been burnt, and so flagmen had to be deployed to hand signal the trains along the line until new wiring had been installed.
I understood that Sir Lamiel had got back to Hull, hauled by a diesel, but my memory’s a bit hazy about that part of the events back then.
I travelled to Bridlington from Beverley the next day, and the flagmen were being used along with detonators. We got through with only a few minutes of time lost. Happy days.

I do have many photo’s taken of Mallard at Beverley station back in July, 1988. I’ll see if I can post sme when I get them scanned.

Mushroomman

Happy days indeed. I remember well the signalling at Beverley, a mass of proper signals, home and distants on the same post and all 5 boxes,plus the sidings behind Cherry tree box. I remember thundering through Beverley on the Scarborough/ Leicester back in the day a 45/1!!

Mushroomman

Just out of interest, anyone remember the "Vladivostok avoider" a railtour in the eighties through Brid hauled by a pair of 20s?

WesternLancer

Established Member
I agree with Boysteve. That’s exactly what I recall too.

Now, tonight, I have a photo’ from onboard a Cravens class 105 as it departs from Bridlington station on the 10th September, 1982. It was ex Scarborough, which was a working originally from Hull. I recall there being a small hole just under the window I was sat next to. Of course everything was vibrating and rattling as you would expect.

View attachment 69690
Always nice to see colour interior pictures - and some top early 1980s hairs styles featured in that one. Happy days!

Status
Not open for further replies.