• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Pay back" clauses for train drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
If you feel like you have been treated well by your employer you wouldn't be looking to leave anyway.

People leave for various reasons. No matter how nice your employer may treat you, money often talks louder

Life also gets in the way. The last couple of resignations from my depot have been because people are relocating elsewhere in the company. A good friend at a other depot loves working for us but wants to move north to be with his partner.

We also lose a fair amount of people who move for promotions. Career minded people tend to move locations. We've also lost a few to Eurostar. The prestige of working for Eurostar is highly aspirational for some.

Even the best companies lose employees.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goingloco

Does anyone know if the GBRf payback figure/timescales for trainees and qualified drivers are different?

Stigy

Established Member
Whether it’s morally wrong or not has nothing to do with the discussion about whether this contractual clause is legally enforceable.

I realise we have discussed this before! Can I ask why people getting a key and leaving bothers you so much, and why you seem to see it as some kind of moral failing? I don’t think I’ve ever encountered anyone who would consider it morally wrong for anyone to change jobs!

I left my first TOC during my PQA period without paying them a penny (albeit I left on good terms with my manager and immediate colleagues).

I did it quite simply because it suited me to do it, and I make decisions about my employment based purely on my own self interest. Why would I have loyalty to an organisation that sacked people at the drop of a hat, and would have done exactly the same to me if it suited them?!
I agree with this. People move on all the time for many different reasons. Whilst I’m grateful to my current TOC for giving me this break and allowing me to get my key (more specifically local managers because ultimately they recruited me), if moving on suited me for personal reasons or to further my career, I’d move on.

It happens all the time and people generally aren’t expected to by ultimately loyal to one company, no matter what field that may be in.

When the tables are turned, loyalty goes out of the window rather quickly.

Sly Old Fox

For what it’s worth, when I left my previous TOC they withheld my last two period’s wages as there was a clause that I had to repay training costs if I left before two years.

I handed in my resignation letter on a Thursday, and then received no pay on the Friday (or the following Friday four weeks later).

I had worked for the company for five years at that point, but had only been passed as a qualified driver for 18 months or so.

Established Member
For what it’s worth, when I left my previous TOC they withheld my last two period’s wages as there was a clause that I had to repay training costs if I left before two years.

I handed in my resignation letter on a Thursday, and then received no pay on the Friday (or the following Friday four weeks later).

I had worked for the company for five years at that point, but had only been passed as a qualified driver for 18 months or so.

Docking wages in such circumstances is a bit of a legal minefield.

Presumably you also immediately stopped turning up for work. In which case they would have spent more than your wages covering your work in rest day pay and/or cancellation fees.

Typical penny wise pound foolish approach, from the school of petty railway management…

Sly Old Fox

Docking wages in such circumstances is a bit of a legal minefield.

Presumably you also immediately stopped turning up for work. In which case they would have spent more than your wages covering your work in rest day pay and/or cancellation fees.

Typical penny wise pound foolish approach, from the school of petty railway management…

Yeah I phoned in sick as soon as I saw I hadn’t been paid, and never drove another train there.

I won’t name the TOC but from your posts I think it’s the same one you left.

Established Member
Yeah I phoned in sick as soon as I saw I hadn’t been paid, and never drove another train there.

Other TOCs have allegedly only paid staff up until their last working shift but not for any rest days or annual leave taken afterwards (but before their last day).

Established Member

I know of a couple of others who were asked to pay and agreed a compromise (one was asked for £5k, paid £2.5k as I recall). I didn’t know of anyone actually having pay docked.

In my case not only did I not pay anything, but my manager forgot I was leaving so, to cover his own backside, marked me down as sick for a period after I had left. Hence I received almost double pay for six weeks starting my new job :D

Last edited:

75A

Established Member
I know of a couple of others who were asked to pay and agreed a compromise (one was asked for £5k, paid £2.5k as I recall). I didn’t know of anyone actually having pay docked.

In my case not only did I not pay anything, but my manager forgot I was leaving so, to cover his own backside, marked me down as sick for a period after I had left. Hence I received almost double pay for six weeks starting my new job :D
Nice one.

Sly Old Fox

I went three months from February to May with no pay at all and a wife in hospital. It was a difficult time.

baz962

Established Member

And still don't get the coffee in . Tight sod :D

66701GBRF

Very underhanded to dock your pay by that amount like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.