• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PAYG Oyster or Contactless question

SandLake

When I use the 'single fare finder' on TfL for a journey from Heathrow to Gatwick I get the fare along with alternative fares but, for example, the alternative is qualified with "Avoiding Zone 1 via Ealing Broadway, Shepherd's Bush (or Earl's Court and West Brompton) and Clapham Junction" and I don't know what that means.
I want to keep things simple so my plan is to route Heathrow-Farringdon-Gatwick, does that qualify for the alternative fare?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When I use the 'single fare finder' on TfL for a journey from Heathrow to Gatwick I get the fare along with alternative fares but, for example, the alternative is qualified with "Avoiding Zone 1 via Ealing Broadway, Shepherd's Bush (or Earl's Court and West Brompton) and Clapham Junction" and I don't know what that means.
I want to keep things simple so my plan is to route Heathrow-Farringdon-Gatwick, does that qualify for the alternative fare?
No, because Farringdon is right in the middle of fares Zone 1. The point of having alternative routes is that they allow you to reduce the full cost, but by making the route potentially slower and usually more complicated.

In more detail, the way it works is that the charging system assumes by default you’ll go by the fastest and most direct route. It’s what most people will do.

To get the avoiding zone 1 fare charged you’ll have to do something ‘en route’ in this case the instructions are to touch on a pink Oyster reader (a route validator) at a specific interchange station (or stations) on the cheaper route that goes around Zone 1.

Last edited:

HughT

Your proposed route includes a significant amount of mileage within Zone 1 (not that the amount is a factor in itself). So no fare that requires you to avoid Zone 1 would be valid

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
"Avoiding Zone 1 via Ealing Broadway, Shepherd's Bush (or Earl's Court and West Brompton) and Clapham Junction"
Simply it means that you either travel:

a) Ealing Broadway to Shepherds Bush (Central), then Clapham Junction (Overground), then Southern to Gatwick.
b) Ealing Broadway to Earls Court to West Brompton (both District), then Clapham Junction (Overground), then Southern to Gatwick.

paul1609

Established Member
If you want to keep it really simple this journey is best done by National Express Coach it takes 1hr 15 from T2/3 to Gatwick North. The coach fare is normally around £25. The via Farringdon time is 1 hr 40ish assuming no Thameslink Cancelations.