• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paying for a local bus ride in Bologna

Mike99

Hi, as per the title does anyone know if you pay at a roadside ticket machine? Couldn't see any on google maps, or is it cash/card on board to the driver or a machine. Any information greatly recieved.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beachcomber

The general rule in Italy is/was to obtain your ticket from resellers, mostly bars and tobacconists. In Bologna, there are a few roadside machines at central locations (railway station, airport), and also in some vehicles that show a green placard: payment by coins, no change and fifty cents more expensive.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Some digging online suggests an app called Muver which is available in English, as well as at ticket machines and newspaper stands.

bubieyehyeh

I was there last year, and you could use contactless on some buses, but not every bus annoyingly. Apparently the ones with the equipment on them have a logo on them, but never saw it. We took bus to the lamborgini museum paying contactless, but the bus back on same route didn't have contactless terminal. The contactless terminal is behind the driver normally. All but that one bus (out of 4 or 5) we used had contactless.

The airport shuttle also accepts contactless -- https://www.marconiexpress.it/en/tickets/paygo-contactless/

Last edited:

Mike99

The general rule in Italy is/was to obtain your ticket from resellers, mostly bars and tobacconists. In Bologna, there are a few roadside machines at central locations (railway station, airport), and also in some vehicles that show a green placard: payment by coins, no change and fifty cents more expensive.
Thanks for the info

Some digging online suggests an app called Muver which is available in English, as well as at ticket machines and newspaper stands.
Thanks for the info

I was there last year, and you could use contactless on some buses, but not every bus annoyingly. Apparently the ones with the equipment on them have a logo on them, but never saw it. We took bus to the lamborgini museum paying contactless, but the bus back on same route didn't have contactless terminal. The contactless terminal is behind the driver normally. All but that one bus (out of 4 or 5) we used had contactless.

The airport shuttle also accepts contactless -- https://www.marconiexpress.it/en/tickets/paygo-contactless/
Thanks also for the info

nwales58

If arriving at Bologna Centrale, coming out of the main entrance (beware, it’s 4 stations in one) in the square in front of you on the right side (so if arriving on a West platform it’s next to the exit) there is a local ticket office where you can buy multiple urban tickets then validate on the bus.

I think it is marked TPER, the rail operator and not yet complete fares integration across Emilia Romagna, but I could be wrong.

Bus routes in and out of the centre are not clear, many stop pn the road over the bridge, not n front if the station.

Otherwise, as someone else said, in Italy always look for a tobacconist.

Mike99

If arriving at Bologna Centrale, coming out of the main entrance (beware, it’s 4 stations in one) in the square in front of you on the right side (so if arriving on a West platform it’s next to the exit) there is a local ticket office where you can buy multiple urban tickets then validate on the bus.

I think it is marked TPER, the rail operator and not yet complete fares integration across Emilia Romagna, but I could be wrong.

Bus routes in and out of the centre are not clear, many stop pn the road over the bridge, not n front if the station.

Otherwise, as someone else said, in Italy always look for a tobacconist.
Thats very helpful thankyou

nwales58

It’s as if West Mids (ex-)PTE had an office at New Street for seasons that also sold single journey tickets.

Normal southern Europe.