• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty fare disability. OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I've had a bit of a think about this, and apologies to the Mods if this is off topic, and to note that fundamentally I agree with you. However let us look at this from two perspectives
a) The OP - who has selflessly self described themselves in post 1.
b) That oafish and ignorant RPI, who is exerting the power here and has a very different worldview.
The RPI doubted the OP had a disability and confiscated / stole the OP's possessions. They would further have argued, no doubt, that the OP's condition was not preventing access to the ticket machines, if you define "access" narrowly as meaning physically able to get to the machinery and potentially use it. I'm sure we would both strongly disagree with this perspective, unfortunately we won't be sat next to the OP the next time it happens.

So I'm not sure that entitlement helps, except after the event, should the OP encounter the RPI again, which is unfortunately a distinct possibility. Given point a), then relying on 2.7.2 may not be the best way forward if it is open to dispute, a smartphone or similar approach may be better. Those who have to walk with mental health issues often need tactical ways forward and luckily they exist in this case.

I think the best way forward for the OP is to manage e-tickets for sure, but the entitlement they have remains in cast iron, and the penalty fare appeal will succeed on this basis alone. That's the first hurdle in this. The second is a formal complaint about the theft of their medical letter and the unjust retention of their railcard (were they given a receipt?), which you would hope would alter the RPI's future behaviour.

Frankly the RPI here is just a bully and one day they will come across someone who isn't so meek.

If a TOC or RPI defined "access" as physically able to get to the machinery and use it, then they'd be discriminating against a huge number of people with disabilities and be slam dunk wins for anyone who decided to sue them... Anyone with severe dyslexia or dyscalculia, for example, or neurodivergence. They're not physical disabilities, but can prevent the person accessing the facilities.
It is also not up to the TOC or RPI to define this, either, in any case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
If a TOC or RPI defined "access" as physically able to get to the machinery and use it, then they'd be discriminating against a huge number of people with disabilities and be slam dunk wins for anyone who decided to sue them... Anyone with severe dyslexia or dyscalculia, for example, or neurodivergence. They're not physical disabilities, but can prevent the person accessing the facilities.
The argument being made, I think, is that holding a Disabled Railcard does not in itself convey a clear entitlement to purchase on board without penalty, as there are many holders of the railcard who are perfectly able to use ticket retailing facilities. For example, I have known a couple of people who have such railcards through being epileptic and have been able to lead normal lives other than being prohibited from driving. However, this is not a discussion for an advice thread.

Fermiboson

2nd thread on Northern being very classy to disabled people within a short while. How excellent.

It should also be noted that while there are many ways to avoid such a scenario from repeating, such as e-tickets (and I agree that this would be a robust method), OP’s disability can make many of these seemingly ordinary solutions quite stressful. I believe that OP is entitled to his previous method of doing things and it is Northern’s job to accomodate OP’s disability, under NRCoT 6.1.3.3, not the other way around.

As noted above by other members, there are a few action items the OP must undertake as soon as possible:

1. Appeal the Penalty Fare. The Penalty Fare is 50 pounds if paid within 21 days, and otherwise doubled, but this clock is frozen on appeal, so an appeal should be made as soon as possible. More experienced members will be able to advise on the best course of appeal, but in my opinion the OP can claim a defense under NRCoT 6.1.3.3. Note that first and second appeals are often unreasonably unsuccessful due to the fact that they are conducted internally by the TOC themselves; the third appeal is conducted independently. One often has to appeal all the way to the third appeal to get a (figurative) human response, but not to worry, as the clock is refrozen on every appeal.
2. Ensure that the TOC have your correct physical and email addresses. We’ve seen cases on here before of TOCs sending correspondence to the wrong address causing the accused passenger to be completely unaware of any proceedings against them, and that can be a lot more troublesome to sort out. Your address as given to the TOC should be on the Penalty Fare notice; also regularly check spam email folders for a while in case Northern decides to be especially classy and withdraw the PF to initiate prosecution, or if this was an FPN (fixed penalty notice) and not a penalty fare in which case a completely different procedure applies, despite the similar name.
3. Record all details of of your journey - which train you were on, from which station to which station, when you were stopped, etc. This has the purpose of both identifying any witnesses that can help your case (e.g. the BTP officers relevant) and identifying the offending RPI. It also helps you present a clear and concise timeline on appeal which makes it easier for the person on the other end to understand exactly what has happened. Keep tabs also of additional expenses you or others have incurred to help you, including extra journeys made, lost pay, full price tickets paid, additional appointments with psychiatrists, etc. so you can claim them back from Northern at a later date.

There are some additional points about the situation that I would like to make as well:

1. Absolutely write to MPs, representatives, journalists, charity organisations for disabled people, etc. etc. External pressure can be surprisingly effective at making a TOC see reason. I believe that other victims of Northern’s revenue protection have recommended Tristian Kirk, at the Evening Standard, who has apparently taken an interest in these kinds of things (I have no personal knowledge of either the journalist or the newspaper concerned).
2. The railcard was, unfortunately, not stolen - it’s always the TOC’s property and it is a criminal offence not to hand over a railcard when asked to. However, hopefully you will be able to get it back once enough pressure is put on Northern. The letter IS OP’s property and the RPI taking it was theft - and actually, going by the OP’s description of the way he took it, possibly assault.
3. The letter from the psychiatrist 100% entitles you to a buy on board arrangement, and it was also issued for a reason - other methods may have been assessed by the professional to cause undue distress to OP. Any sort of argument that the OP is physically capable of accessing the TVM runs directly afoul of Equality Act 2010 15(1) and 6(1)(b), and subsequently NRCoT 6.1.3.3 and 21.1. This entitlement should not be voluntarily waived just because a particular RPI had a backward view of what constitutes a disability and a sufficiently large power trip to enforce said view; instead, it would be more productive to arm OP with legal arguments that can be made if he is unlucky enough to encounter such a scenario again, as well as a complete knowledge of what rights and obligations he has when travelling on the train.
4. Northern’s customer service probably has not grasped the seriousness of what actually happened, and treated your complaint as one of the many “help I was caught” emails they get every day. You may consider to try to contact them again with a more confrontational subject - e.g. “Violations of Equality Act 2010 by Northern staff” - and make the content of your email about the abhorrent treatment you received and the consequent violations of Northern’s contract with you when you purchased a railcard and ticket with them. I don’t think there is a need to worry that this will worsen your chances of appeal. For one, if the final appeal really is somehow unsuccessful, you can pay the PF under protest then go to small claims court and sue Northern for the PF, ticket cost, medical letter cost, plus emotional distress to boot, and it’s Northern that will end up with egg on their face. Moreover there is very little communication between the customer services department and revenue protection department.
5. As others have also noted, it would be helpful if an appropriately redacted version of the actual penalty document could be uploaded; Northern have a rather nasty habit of mixing up a penalty fare, which bars Northern from prosecuting you if it is appealed and responded to, versus a fixed penalty notice, which is in effect an out of court settlement and does not bar Northern from prosecution.

I’m very sorry to hear of such disgusting treatment you have received at the hand of this particular railway staff member, and hope that this can be resolved quickly. There is no need to stress - legally, you are in the clear, and although Northern can theoretically make your life quite annoying and maybe a little bit more expensive for a while, it would be highly detrimental to the career prospects of every Northern employee involved in the process if they did choose to do so. Please do let us know if you need any help with drafting anything, or otherwise.

L401CJF

Established Member
Not really sure what to make of some of the responses to this thread. I'm a conductor for another TOC. During our training we go through a large module regarding disability awareness, particularly hidden disabilities and it is drilled into us not to judge or come to assumptions. Questioning somebody's disability is a big no (unless obviously there's something obvious like a doctored railcard etc), as if we do go throwing out accusations and breaching discrimination/equality laws etc it's a big legal rabbit hole and not worth going down.

I find it very bizzare that people here are pushing the OP to mobile ticketing as a solution. The OP has made it clear they do not wish to use mobile tickets for various reasons, and I 100% believe if they wish to use proper physical tickets then they have a right to do so, and as mentioned earlier a reasonable adjustment must be made.

The issue here is the awful approach by the Northern staff which (assuming everything the OP has told us is correct and there isn't anything being left out) appears to go against everything we are trained to do.

Appeal the penalty, log a complaint, request any bodyworn video/CCTV is held, ask for reimbursement for the stolen letter/railcard, go to the local papers, get in touch with your MP, contact some charities/organisations who may be able to help.

Fermiboson

Not really sure what to make of some of the responses to this thread. I'm a conductor for another TOC. During our training we go through a large module regarding disability awareness, particularly hidden disabilities and it is drilled into us not to judge or come to assumptions. Questioning somebody's disability is a big no (unless obviously there's something obvious like a doctored railcard etc), as if we do go throwing out accusations and breaching discrimination/equality laws etc it's a big legal rabbit hole and not worth going down.

I find it very bizzare that people here are pushing the OP to mobile ticketing as a solution. The OP has made it clear they do not wish to use mobile tickets for various reasons, and I 100% believe if they wish to use proper physical tickets then they have a right to do so, and as mentioned earlier a reasonable adjustment must be made.

The issue here is the awful approach by the Northern staff which (assuming everything the OP has told us is correct and there isn't anything being left out) appears to go against everything we are trained to do.

Appeal the penalty, log a complaint, request any bodywork video/CCTV is held, ask for reimbursement for the stolen railcard/letter, go to the local papers, get in touch with your MP.
100%. I’m not an employee of any TOC, but when someone tries to bully you, the correct response is not to bend backwards so as to not give them reasons to bully you, but rather to fight back and ensure that the bully does not bully anyone else. Done correctly, hell should break loose on this RPI, legally speaking.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The OP asked how they could in the short term go to work without a railcard or means of paying which left the risk of the same situation recurring, which was clearly stressing them, until the whole affair was sorted. Mobile ticketing was suggested as a pragmatic possibility to enable them to go to work stress free during this, hopefully, short period.

As you say though, they have explained why they do not wish to pursue that option - we tried to think of ways around their initial concerns to help them, but in the end it is clear that they feel uncomfortable with that option, and that view should (and I believe has) been respected by contributors.

BrianW

Established Member
To Original Poster James, I'm so sad and angry this has been done to you. As a human being you are entitled to expect better consideration and treatment than this. The Ticket Inspector may have been having a bad day, but that is no excuse. The Transport Police person that showed sympathy and helped you- It will be great if you are able to say thanks, but you must be in pieces following this- I wish you a good recovery. I am not in a position to offer you advice, but others on the Forum are able, as has been shown above. Emailing your MP is good advice, especially as you can reread it before going 'send', and your original posting is great testimony to your ability to put words together online. I wish you well at home and at work and in your journeys between and beyond.

jamesthebeast

Thank you for the suppoet everyone - my dad is going to be helping me resolve this..

One question - Does my letter from the psychiatrist allow me to purchase on board if the ticket office is shut? I've seen people say yes and no?

There is also the issue that lately the ticket office seems to have been shut more often than not. (It used to be open most of the day but no longer is). I'm just worried about a repeat incident occuring

Haywain

Veteran Member
One question - Does my letter from the psychiatrist allow me to purchase on board if the ticket office is shut? I've seen people say yes and no?
That is unclear. However, there are mentions upthread of Northern issuing letters giving specific permission to buy on board and you should seek to obtain such a letter which will carry more weight.

Fermiboson

There is also the issue that lately the ticket office seems to have been shut more often than not. (It used to be open most of the day but no longer is). I'm just worried about a repeat incident occuring
Legally speaking, yes. A TOC is required by law to make all reasonable adjustments for a passenger with disability, and buying from a human being is one of them; the relevant sections are NRCoT 6.1.3.3, 21.1, Equality Act 2010 15(1)(a), 20(5), 21, 29(7)(a).

However, as above, it may also be prudent to seek such permission directly from Northern at least for the time being, to avoid having to throw the book at them and generate arguments.

And yes, ticket offices are closed more often than not nowadays despite the published opening hours. Various forum members may have various opinions on the causes of this phenomenon, or who is responsible.

BrianW

Established Member
Thank you for the suppoet everyone - my dad is going to be helping me resolve this..

I note that The Bolton News has carried items about Lifts at Daisy Hill and Westhoughton stations. The latter has a 'Friends Group' who may be helpful to you.

Might Bolton Council be able to help; at least to apply pressure on Northern and at the station? I found online this: https://www.boltonadultautismsupport.org.uk/

There will be people and organisations hoping to help you and others suffering similarly at the hands of insensitive treatment.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

The document is not relevant.

You are not required to substantiate the nature of your disability to avail of the buy-on-board protection in the Disabled Railcard terms and conditions.

The conductor or RPI should sell you a ticket without asking for any evidence that you find the machines inaccesible, in the same way they are required to accommodate passengers with physical disabilities without asking them if they're exaggerating, or "making it up".

westcoaster

Established Member

I'd have thought the only people to be able to give such permission is the TOC them selves.
I'd have thought, you'd have to go through customer service (with the medical letter), for them to issue a company headed letter or pass giving permission.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'd have thought the only people to be able to give such permission is the TOC them selves.
I'd have thought, you'd have to go through customer service (with the medical letter), for them to issue a company headed letter or pass giving permission.
As an aside

It is worth noting that one of the reasons, as I understand it, that Disabled Persons railcards are issued by a central team (you can't buy them at a ticket office desk for example) is that suitably trained staff assess and verify the supporting documents the entitle a person to a Disabled Persons Railcard so that individual staff 'on the ground' who may not know, nor are trained in, the ins and outs of Attendance Allowance approval documents, medical letters etc don't have to get drawn into weighing up such things when presented with them, but know that the Railcard alone has been issued following such assessment. The fact that the OP had such a Railcard should have been the end of the matter. The helpful post by @L401CJF indicates how their training covers this in practical terms.

A further letter issued by Northern should be superfluous, but no bad thing that they are prepared to issue them I suppose, in the light of the way at least this member of their staff seemed to behave.

Obv I don't know specific content of the letter the OP had been given by a medically qualified professional, but I'd assume it was generic overall, but specific about the medical conditions, and not written just for use with a rail company. It should not have been confiscated because how would the staff know that the OP might not need it for some other interacting with another agency some time later in the same day. It is not the same as powers staff may have to confiscate a Railcard or ticket.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The right to buy on board is in the Disabled Railcard terms and conditions. No other documentation is necessary and no permission is needed.

fandroid

Established Member
We haven't heard if the OP has a document issued by the inspector. They should have. That document itself should contain some information that would help the train company identify the inspector without specifying the exact train and them looking up rosters etc. I strongly advise that whatever paperwork was issued should be posted on here so that we can be sure of the correct advice to give

skyhigh

Established Member
Was the ticket office closed yesterday when you started your journey?

Fermiboson

The right to buy on board is in the Disabled Railcard terms and conditions. No other documentation is necessary and no permission is needed.
Not necessarily. 2.7 says:
2.7. You must buy the Tickets before boarding the train unless:

2.7.1. there was no ticket office at the station at which you began the journey or if the ticket office was closed, and there was no working ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets; or

2.7.2. you have a disability which prevented you accessing ticket retailing facilities.

In these cases you will be able to use your Railcard to buy tickets on the train or at your destination.
So evidence of a disability which prevents access of ticket retailing facilities, i.e. the medical letter in this case, is required.

rs101

So evidence of a disability which prevents access of ticket retailing facilities, i.e. the medical letter in this case, is required.
Nothing in the T&C says evidence of a disability must be supplied.

Fermiboson

Nothing in the T&C says evidence of a disability must be supplied.
True, but conversely speaking nothing in the T&C says that the railcard is considered a supporting document for the specific type of disability that prevents access to TVMs (indeed it isn’t). Northern’s ATP says:
If you are unable to buy a ticket before your journey, because our facilities are
inaccessible or unavailable, you can do so without penalty during the journey or at the
destination station and enjoy any reduction to which you are entitled, such as using a
Disabled Persons Railcard.
Which implies the exception under 2.7 also applies if you don’t hold a Disabled Persons Railcard (as it should, under the Equality Act which does not require any prior certification). I doubt that you could simply claim a disability without any medical authority and get away with pay when challenged.

In any case, I feel that this is something of a moot point; OP is entitled to his letter which definitely should work and there is no reason to deliberately put oneself on more shaky legal ground.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Incorrect. No evidence is required. That would probably be illegal for a start, and even if they did want to make this proviso, they ought to say what, if any, evidence is required.

True, but conversely speaking nothing in the T&C says that the railcard is considered a supporting document for the specific type of disability that prevents access to TVMs (indeed it isn’t).
Because it is not relevant! No evidence is required. A disabled person is not required to evidence the nature of their disability when moving about the railway network and availing of reasonable adjustments the railway makes toward them. I am shocked at how poorly informed this thread is, from people who ought to know better, too.

Which implies the exception under 2.7 also applies if you don’t hold a Disabled Persons Railcard (as it should, under the Equality Act which does not require any prior certification). I doubt that you could simply claim a disability without any medical authority and get away with pay when challenged.
You can. This is how accessibility works.

Nobody asks for proof of disability when it comes to mobility related adjustments or assistance. You want to book the wheelchair space? Go ahead - nobody will ask you to prove you need the wheelchair, even on TOCs where the wheelchair space is in first class (and you are allowed to be in there with a standard ticket). When deploying ramps for someone sitting in a wheelchair, is it normal to ask the person in the wheelchair if they actually need to be sat in it? No. When a staff member has to take time out to assist and guide a partially sighted person, do they ask the passenger whether they are sure they are blind and whether they need the assistance? No! When I used to man JourneyCare and used to book (often expensive) taxis for passengers who could not use a station as it was inaccessible to them, did I need to ask for proof they really were disabled in such a way that required the taxi? Also, no.

The protection in the Disabled Railcard TnCs, which has been there since time immemorial, is well known on the front line. It is there not as some method of letting people "pay when challenged", it is in fact an important accommodation to passengers who cannot use TVMs - or in some cases ticket offices.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Incorrect. No evidence is required. That would probably be illegal for a start, and even if they did want to make this proviso, they ought to say what, if any, evidence is required.

Because it is not relevant! No evidence is required. A disabled person is not required to evidence the nature of their disability when moving about the railway network and availing of reasonable adjustments the railway makes toward them. I am shocked at how poorly informed this thread is, from people who ought to know better, too.

You can. This is how accessibility works.

Nobody asks for proof of disability when it comes to mobility related adjustments or assistance. You want to book the wheelchair space? Go ahead - nobody will ask you to prove you need the wheelchair, even on TOCs where the wheelchair space is in first class (and you are allowed to be in there with a standard ticket). When deploying ramps for someone sitting in a wheelchair, is it normal to ask the person in the wheelchair if they actually need to be sat in it? No. When a staff member has to take time out to assist and guide a partially sighted person, do they ask the passenger whether they are sure they are blind and whether they need the assistance? No! When I used to man JourneyCare and used to book (often expensive) taxis for passengers who could not use a station as it was inaccessible to them, did I need to ask for proof they really were disabled in such a way that required the taxi? Also, no.

The protection in the Disabled Railcard TnCs, which has been there since time immemorial, is well known on the front line. It is there not as some method of letting people "pay when challenged", it is in fact an important accommodation to passengers who cannot use TVMs - or in some cases ticket offices.
This discussion is really of little help to the OP.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This discussion is really of little help to the OP.
It is of great help, now they have lost their expensively-acquired "proof" of their disability after it was stolen from them by a rogue RPI.

They may make their appeal and it carry the same weight without that letter, and they may continue to travel and buy on board if the facilities at their origin are inaccessible.

The OP - who is clearly very nervous about travelling and in need of confidence and assistance - shouldn't be dissuaded by the poorly-informed commentary going on at the fringes.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It is of great help, now they have lost their expensively-acquired "proof" of their disability after it was stolen from them by a rogue RPI.
I disagree, which is why I have reported the discussion for splitting out into a separate thread.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I disagree, which is why I have reported the discussion for splitting out into a separate thread.
You disagree that this advice is directly helpful for the OP going forward - that they can, in fact, travel and avail of the same protections without the £80 letter that was stolen from them, and that their penalty fare appeal need not include a copy of said letter to have the same weight or value. Righto.

Fermiboson

I’m not employed by any TOC and don’t have any great amount of experience on UK railways, so if you say so, I will concede on the legality of this point as you have presumably greater experience. However, on this:
The OP - who is clearly very nervous about travelling and in need of confidence and assistance - shouldn't be dissuaded by the poorly-informed commentary going on at the fringes.
It seems to me unusual that we should advise the OP, having been bitten once with supporting documentation above and beyond legal requirements, to continue to travel without said supporting documentation because of the legal requirement, as a means of assuaging their anxiety.
Moreover, as I presume such a proof of disability does have numerous uses outside of the railway, OP will need to get it back anyways - what’s the harm in attaching that onto the appeals, or any correspondence/attempt to claw back incurred costs in the future?

I also think that it would be beneficial for us to take a step back and prevent the discussion becoming personal.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It seems to me unusual that we should advise the OP, having been bitten once with supporting documentation above and beyond legal requirements, to continue to travel without said supporting documentation because of the legal requirement, as a means of assuaging their anxiety.
Because it is entirely their right to do so. I was the first to point out in the thread - and I am surprised other posters did not know this (as it is well known on the front line) - the Disabled Railcard Terms and Conditions mean that any railcard holder who also finds the ticket vending facilities inaccessible due to their disability may buy on board with no penalty. They merely need to state - if they are even asked - that the facilities were inaccessible to them.

It would be very good if the stolen document could be returned to the OP - that would be ideal! It should be returned right away. But it is important for the OP to know that this psychiatrist's document does not in any way affect, reduce or improve their rights as a disabled person on the railway or their right as a Disabled Railcard holder to have purchased on board in the circumstances. I have made these repeated posts precisely because other posters have said they do need this as some sort of proof, when they don't - and I have referenced this as fact. They should feel less anxious and more assured of having their rights protected in the interim period where they are without this letter.

The OP need not bend to bullies like the RPI to assert their rights as a disabled person using the railway. That they feel upset and more anxious as a result of being bullied is very regrettable.

Moreover, as I presume such a proof of disability does have numerous uses outside of the railway, OP will need to get it back anyways - what’s the harm in attaching that onto the appeals, or any correspondence/attempt to claw back incurred costs in the future?
It would not harm, but it also not strictly necessary to spend £80 on a replacement letter - goodness knows how quickly it could be obtained - to appeal a penalty fare at this stage, which must be done within the statutory 21 days. The supporting documentation adds zero additional weight to their appeal, which is well-founded based on the provision in the railcard's terms and conditions; it's there in black and white.

Halwynd

From Northern's website:

Daisy Hill

At Daisy Hill station, a comprehensive £4 million investment will usher in significant upgrades. A pivotal addition will be the installation of a passenger lift, facilitating step-free access to and from the platform. Additionally, enhancements to the station’s accessible car parking facilities will further enhance convenience for passengers with mobility needs. Works at Daisy Hill Station are scheduled to commence in mid-March 2024, with completion expected by December 2024.

While these works will deliver important benefits and step-free access at the station, there will be some disruption for passengers during the construction phase, which will include:
  • Both car parks will be affected during the works. The gravelled car park to the south west will be closed throughout duration of the scheme, while the car park to the north will be used for approximately eight weeks.
  • To install the lift, there will be a change to the ticket office and booking hall at the entrance of the station to create a new lift lobby area. During this phase of internal works, the ticket office will be closed with an alternative option for provision for tickets to be confirmed. Passengers will still be able to purchase tickets from alternative ticket offices, online or via the Northern app.

Wolfie

Established Member
Because it is entirely their right to do so. I was the first to point out in the thread - and I am surprised other posters did not know this (as it is well known on the front line) - the Disabled Railcard Terms and Conditions mean that any railcard holder who also finds the ticket vending facilities inaccessible due to their disability may buy on board with no penalty. They merely need to state - if they are even asked - that the facilities were inaccessible to them.

It would be very good if the stolen document could be returned to the OP - that would be ideal! It should be returned right away. But it is important for the OP to know that this psychiatrist's document does not in any way affect, reduce or improve their rights as a disabled person on the railway or their right as a Disabled Railcard holder to have purchased on board in the circumstances. I have made these repeated posts precisely because other posters have said they do need this as some sort of proof, when they don't - and I have referenced this as fact. They should feel less anxious and more assured of having their rights protected in the interim period where they are without this letter.

The OP need not bend to bullies like the RPI to assert their rights as a disabled person using the railway. That they feel upset and more anxious as a result of being bullied is very regrettable.

It would not harm, but it also not strictly necessary to spend £80 on a replacement letter - goodness knows how quickly it could be obtained - to appeal a penalty fare at this stage, which must be done within the statutory 21 days. The supporting documentation adds zero additional weight to their appeal, which is well-founded based on the provision in the railcard's terms and conditions; it's there in black and white.
If the OP feels the need to replace his letter an invoice should immediately be sent to Northern. In the event that payment is not made small claims County Court action should follow....

Status
Not open for further replies.