• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty fare increase to £100

Will this decrease fare evasion ?

• Yes

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 164 54.7%
  • Abstain

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Don't agree with the increase

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Agree with the increase

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Problem is smartphones often only have 2 to 3 hours battery life using internet, so on a longer journey it's not very practical

What smartphone has that poor battery life these days? I've got a high-end device that I use to watch videos at full brightness/HDR and even that gives about 4-5 hours of screen on time (which I happen to think is pretty poor). In terms of overall standby, it's good for an entire day though.

Many phones now have 5,000mAh batteries or bigger, and can go for days. Samsung's Galaxy S23 Ultra - a high end phone you'd associate with being power hungry - has been giving some users over 10 hours of screen on time. That's longer than most people's working day, and would mean the phone being used literally ALL of that time.

I've seen revenue people dealing with people who have had their phone die. In some instances, they're asked to just double check the phone is dead by holding the power button - but then they invent some excuse about the button not working (or they clearly don't press the button while pretending to do so). They also don't look happy if they're offered a power bank to give it a few minutes charge. The body language tells you everything you need to know!

It certainly does seem to be a new favourite excuse, but the outcome is always a PF or MG11, so I am not sure they've thought it through very well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zero

Problem is smartphones often only have 2 to 3 hours battery life using internet, so on a longer journey it's not very practical
My phone is 7 years old and the battery still lasts for about 5-6 hours with active use when out (used to be 18+ hours when new).

I don't carry a power bank unless going on an international or multi-day UK trip.

If I know I will need my phone to show a ticket and don't have my laptop with me (which can also present my ticket albeit inconvenient at barriers), and the battery is running low, I will limit my use, reduce screen brightness, enter airplane mode when not actively downloading something and so forth, until I find a working charging port on a train.

I used a paper ticket last week so not worried about phone dying, and I was actually surprised how long my phone lasted when starting the day with 50% battery as I forgot to switch on the charger the previous night.

rs101

What smartphone has that poor battery life these days? I've got a high-end device that I use to watch videos at full brightness/HDR and even that gives about 4-5 hours of screen on time (which I happen to think is pretty poor). In terms of overall standby, it's good for an entire day though.

Many phones now have 5,000mAh batteries or bigger, and can go for days. Samsung's Galaxy S23 Ultra - a high end phone you'd associate with being power hungry - has been giving some users over 10 hours of screen on time. That's longer than most people's working day, and would mean the phone being used literally ALL of that time.

I've seen revenue people dealing with people who have had their phone die. In some instances, they're asked to just double check the phone is dead by holding the power button - but then they invent some excuse about the button not working (or they clearly don't press the button while pretending to do so). They also don't look happy if they're offered a power bank to give it a few minutes charge. The body language tells you everything you need to know!

It certainly does seem to be a new favourite excuse, but the outcome is always a PF or MG11, so I am not sure they've thought it through very well.
Plus if you're on a longer journey, many trains have power available at most of the seats, so easy enough to top up the charge.

Although if I had a phone which only had 2-3 hours battery life, I'd be carrying half a dozen power banks!

_toommm_

Established Member

What smartphone are you using? I never turn off my mobile internet, and I get a day of usage.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Something I've always wondered if indeed a phone is dead when the ticket inspection comes round but the passenger has the facility to charge their phone on board (i.e. a cable and charging sockets) is there any official guidance as to if they're 'allowed' to present their ticket later in the journey to avoid the penalty being issued? I'm guessing it would be more discretion based

When power is connected, phones come to life within maybe ten seconds.

Do you actually own a smartphone? Because, no they don't, they last far longer than that (and having Internet turned on makes very little difference, the thing that eats battery is the screen). That was perhaps true of the first or second generation of them (e.g. the HTC Desire - well ahead of its time but rubbish battery life) but those were from over 10 years ago now.

If that's your normal experience of yours, then the battery is either faulty or has deteriorated to the point of it not being usable and needing replacement (of the battery or the phone).

spag23

On Moderation
the HTC Desire - well ahead of its time but rubbish battery life) but those were from over 10 years ago now.
I've opted for technology developed 6000 years ago, based on papyrus. The data and display can remain readable for a thousand years, never mind 5 hours.

Class800

Established Member
When power is connected, phones come to life within maybe ten seconds.

Do you actually own a smartphone? Because, no they don't, they last far longer than that (and having Internet turned on makes very little difference, the thing that eats battery is the screen). That was perhaps true of the first or second generation of them (e.g. the HTC Desire - well ahead of its time but rubbish battery life) but those were from over 10 years ago now.

If that's your normal experience of yours, then the battery is either faulty or has deteriorated to the point of it not being usable and needing replacement (of the battery or the phone).
yes mine is a bit like that

Llanigraham

On Moderation

It is perfectly practical; they either control their useage, or carry a means to ensure their phone battery is charged either with a lead or a power bank.

zero

I've opted for technology developed 6000 years ago, based on papyrus. The data and display can remain readable for a thousand years, never mind 5 hours.

Err... I have kept every paper ticket I ever had as an adult that wasn't swallowed by barriers. Most of my UK orange CCSTs that are over 10 years old have faded.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Err... I have kept every paper ticket I ever had as an adult that wasn't swallowed by barriers. Most of my UK orange CCSTs that are over 10 years old have faded.
Not to mention railcards fading well within a year. Thermal printing onto waxy card isn’t exactly quill and ink!

island

Veteran Member
I have a range of far older Iarnród Éireann tickets which have stayed in great condition, but they were dot matrix printed until very recently.

AdamWW

Established Member
If I know I will need my phone to show a ticket and don't have my laptop with me (which can also present my ticket albeit inconvenient at barriers), and the battery is running low, I will limit my use, reduce screen brightness, enter airplane mode when not actively downloading something and so forth, until I find a working charging port on a train.
I don't know if this is a problem in the UK (I suspect not), but I got caught out in the Netherlands because even though I had enough battery left to show my ticket, it was low enough that my phone insisted on dimming the screen and the reader at the barrier couldn't cope without the screen being at supernova brightness level.

Fortunately (and in my experience this is pretty rare in the Netherlands) there was actually a member of staff to let me through the barrier. I made sure I charged my phone on the train - and of course the station at the other end didn't have barriers...

Class800

Established Member
I don't know if this is a problem in the UK (I suspect not), but I got caught out in the Netherlands because even though I had enough battery left to show my ticket, it was low enough that my phone insisted on dimming the screen and the reader at the barrier couldn't cope without the screen being at supernova brightness level.

Fortunately (and in my experience this is pretty rare in the Netherlands) there was actually a member of staff to let me through the barrier. I made sure I charged my phone on the train - and of course the station at the other end didn't have barriers...
No staff at Dutch barriers? Wonder how this will go on a business trip in coming weeks, I've never been there before, got an e-ticket and have printed it as it came as a PDF

AdamWW

Established Member
No staff at Dutch barriers? Wonder how this will go on a business trip in coming weeks, I've never been there before, got an e-ticket and have printed it as it came as a PDF

I didn't have any trouble scanning paper tickets at barriers.

(And I think we have both now gone a bit off-topic - this thread was about smart phone battery life and the longevity of printing on paper tickets, wasn't it?)

island

Veteran Member
Unstaffed barriers have help points although they will of course be answered in Dutch.

Each gateline has at least one lane which can scan barcode tickets.

BenS123

Looks like WMR have given out over 2,000 of the increased Penalty Fares
West Midlands Railway (WMR) has revealed that 2,014 people have been given a Penalty Fare within the first month of the penalty increasing.
West Midlands Railway ran a campaign to publicise the increase of the fare, however are still handing out around 67 penalty fares a day.
Annamaria Izzard, head of revenue protection at WMR, said: “The increase to the Penalty Fare was brought in to help protect hundreds of millions of pounds of vital revenue for the railway which is lost through fare evasion every year.

“The number of penalty fares we have issued shows how seriously we take fare dodging and although the vast majority of our customers do the right thing and purchase before they travel, I hope the Penalty Fare scheme will encourage everyone to think twice about ticketless travel and attempting to evade the fare.”

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

And yet, from the recent WMT Penalty Fare we have seen on another thread, all 2000 will have been issued non-compliantly as they did not contain the required wording.

Perhaps someone ought to run a campaign to encourage WMT to "think twice" about complying with the Regulations and attempting to evade the proper procedures? :lol:

RPI

Established Member
And yet, from the recent WMT Penalty Fare we have seen on another thread, all 2000 will have been issued non-compliantly as they did not contain the required wording.

Perhaps someone ought to run a campaign to encourage WMT to "think twice" about complying with the Regulations and attempting to evade the proper procedures? :lol:
Beat me to it!

AdamWW

Established Member

It would be interesting (but impossible I suppose) to know how many of these were issued to people deliberately fare evading, and how many people were caught out for making innocent mistakes.

The phrasing "ran a campaign to publicise the increase of the fare, however are still handing out around 67 penalty fares a day." suggests they think that they are being issued to fare dodgers.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounds like they are being issued to those travelling between two unbarriered stations* whom think payment is strictly optional. Probably the sort who try and jump into the front unit of a pair of 323s or non gangwayed turbostars.

Revenue checks on West Midlands has been extremely poor in recent years. (*Or the sort who buys a ticket to Duddeston to bypass the gateline at New Street)

RPI

Established Member
That’s optimistic. There’s no need to hide from the guard on a West Midlands Railway service. They do a perfectly good job of that themselves. :lol:
How true is that! I always thought they were like the SWR "non commercial" guards as you literally never see them leave the cabs on the cross-city line.

Tester

Has something changed?

I travelled from Watford Junction to Crewe and return yesterday, all by LNR.

£11.20 railcard return, since you asked :D

On each of the four trains I used my ticket was checked, and checks were ongoing between stations.

I don't think I have seen anything quite like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.