• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PENALTY FARE NOTICE, PLEASE HELP

anonymous1987

PENALTY FARE NOTICE!! PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,

I was recently caught by a revenue officer travelling to London St Pancras Int’ll. As we all know the train tickets are very expensive (mine is £60/day) so I wanted to try and reduce my train fare.

I rode the train without a ticket and purchased a ticket at the last stop (Stratford) to London - costing £8 single. When I got to the barrier, the revenue office knew my ticket had not been scanned at Stratford and pulled me aside. I have done this about 6/7 times previously which I told him. However, I told him I have paid £1000’s in train tickets since Jan 2024.

He took my details and issued me a Penalty Fare Notice which I paid immediately. I paid online and I was told the case has been closed.

Will they send me a court summon letter as well? I am very concerned as I have just started a job in finance. If i was to be found guilty in court, my career would be over.

To summarise, I evaded a train fare and was issued a Penalty fare notice (circa £100). Is this the end or will they investigate further and take me to court?

Thank you for your time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JBuchananGB

As you were issued with a Penalty fare, and you paid it immediately there will be no further action, but .... your details are on the file, and if you come to their attention again, expect to be reported for prosecution. This forum is full of people who know how to get the best value journeys out of the railway ticketing system. If you share your usual route, and typical times when you travel, and whether you may be eligible for a railcard, I expect someone will help you find the best deal for your needs.

anonymous1987

That's completely irrelevant. You paid (I presume) the correct fare for journeys you undertook.
Yes I understand but I just wanted to show that the vast majority of the time I have paid the full fare.

I only realised the severity of this ‘fraud’ when he was explaining the implications of this act. I never knew you could get a criminal record for evading a fare. I would also lose my job due to the industry I work in. Immaturity on my part and a life lesson learned.

Just to get a second opinion, I definitely won’t be sent a court summon letter as well?

FenMan

Established Member
It looks like you have been travelling from Sittingbourne or, possibly, Rainham and have knowingly taken advantage of the lack of ticket gates at your originating station and buying a one-end doughnut fare from Stratford International to St Pancras on 6-7 occasions. You have been very lucky that this (blindingly obvious to the railway) fraud has not been detected before and you have been doubly very lucky indeed you've only been charged a penalty fare when caught out.

I would very strongly advise you to never do this again if you put any value whatsoever on your career in finance. Even the railway is capable of adding 2 + 2, so be smart and never assume others are more dumb than you.*

*Which is good advice generally. Take it on board or find out the hard way that others really do know more than you.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Presumably though, even if issued a Penalty Fare for this incident, hence precluding any prosecution for it, the railway company isn't barred from bring a prosecution for previous occasions? Since the earlier instances were admitted to the person issuing the PF, and since if the tickets were bought electronically the previous instances can be linked up anyway, then that possibility exists, even if unlikely. I'm sure there have been reports here of people settling for one incident fairly painlessly, but then having a backlog of previous similar instances thrown at them. (Or is that only in the case of a single-incident prosecution followed by further charges, as opposed to a one-off PF being a prelude to charges for other occasions?)

It wouldn't be surprising if the railway have a habit of looking for further instances (involving the same person) which are similar to a one-off breach of the rules.

furlong

Established Member
A Penalty Fare very specifically only addresses the one journey made at the time and no further action can be taken in respect of it [unless they later obtain new evidence that would have undermined the issuing of it had they known]. The train company can still investigate previous journeys. Normally when they do this, they have a list of suspicious ticket purchases and invite the passenger to provide natural explanations for them or admit what they did wrong and pay compensation. Normally this settles the matter in a way that precludes any further action (i.e. they can't then prosecute).

Veteran Member
For the future, unless you travel less than twice a week, you can almost certainly cut your costs.
A flexi season from Sittingbourne to St Pancras via HSI is £48/day. Or (depending where you work) you could consider the cheaper route to Cannon St which isn't much slower.

island

Veteran Member
A Penalty Fare very specifically only addresses the one journey made at the time and no further action can be taken in respect of it [unless they later obtain new evidence that would have undermined the issuing of it had they known].
The train company can (in principle) refund the penalty fare and take a prosecution, though I have never heard of this being done.

The train company can still investigate previous journeys. Normally when they do this, they have a list of suspicious ticket purchases and invite the passenger to provide natural explanations for them or admit what they did wrong and pay compensation. Normally this settles the matter in a way that precludes any further action (i.e. they can't then prosecute).
Indeed.

anonymous1987

The train company can (in principle) refund the penalty fare and take a prosecution, though I have never heard of this being done.

Indeed.
So do southeastern tend to try and avoid litigation? I have no problem paying for my mistake but getting a criminal record will ruin my career.

Greyman1

You were very lucky the staff member dealt with you with a penalty notice. If they had cautioned you and reported you. It would have most certainly been a great deal more. Have you looked at the cheapest options and railcards to help with your costs?

anonymous1987

You were very lucky the staff member dealt with you with a penalty notice. If they had cautioned you and reported you. It would have most certainly been a great deal more. Have you looked at the cheapest options and railcards to help with your costs?
Yes my fare is circa £60 with a railcard. Or £200 for weekly ticket.