• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTElephant

Hi all,

I received a penalty fare travelling on Thameslink, I paid this online. I would just like to know whether there is any chance the train company will take this further and go to court with it. (If the revenue collector referred it on as well)

Many thanks for any responses

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!

Unless there's something really big you're not telling us (fare dodging every day for the last ten years or something) if you have paid the penalty fare then that's the end of the matter.

Pilotman

If you have received a penalty fare and paid this in full, no further action will be taken. Just ensure you keep proof of payment.

DTElephant

Thank you that's really helpful, I've kept the proof of payment. It was a bit of a strange payment portal so wasn't sure what was happening.

ChewChewTrain

If you used the URL they gave you, rather than Googling, then you should be fine. I don’t know if scam websites masquerading as penalty fare payment portals exist, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Pilotman

The fact you were offered a penalty fare is to prevent any further action by way of a penalty for the offence. If you hadn't been offered a penalty fare for various reasons, the inspector is authorised to report you. If reported, you must be cautioned as part of the reporting then this gets referred to the train company's prosecution department for process/decision to take this to court. You cannot pay a penalty and be reported, it's either one or the other. So reassured if you have paid the penalty in full then this is the end of the matter.

Something to consider though, your details may be held on the penalty fare database which I believe is still in Portsmouth. If you get stopped again for a ticket irregularity the inspector can obtain the history of any penalties issued previously, which could then lead to being reported later, again discretion from the inspector based upon the circumstances if they arise again.

DTElephant

Understood thanks a lot, I'll be very careful from now on. Just glad it is sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.