• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino at Edinburgh Waverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmac

Just got down to Platform 8 to wait on the 2114 back to Glasgow Central and there was a Pendolino (390 049) idling before it pulled away. Just wondering what it was doing in the capital really!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

valenta

It's quite common to see them in Edinburgh. Should imagine it's been along the WCML via Carlisle etc.

Aictos

Established Member
Just got down to Platform 8 to wait on the 2114 back to Glasgow Central and there was a Pendolino (390 049) idling before it pulled away. Just wondering what it was doing in the capital really!

Don't they use them on the Edinburgh to Birmingham New Street services?

mmac

Ah right, I'd always assumed they used (Super) Voyagers on Edinburgh - Birmingham services like they do from Glasgow.
Thanks all!

Eagle

Established Member
There's a couple of through services a day running Edinburgh–Birmingham–London on summer weekdays (and also at other times, but they're not advertised). These are without exception Pendolinos.

Ibex

During summer months there's two Edinburgh to Birmingham services per day which are extended through to Euston, and are worked by Pendolinos. They leave Edinburgh at 10:51 and 14:51.

scotsman

Established Member
This, I'm sure is something like the 8th thread on this.

Here goes (again):

Xmas + Festival Only - 1051 + 1451 EDB - BHM/EUS (via BHM)

route:oxford

Established Member
There's a couple of through services a day running Edinburgh–Birmingham–London on summer weekdays (and also at other times, but they're not advertised). These are without exception Pendolinos.

It's just a shame they don't run all year round. Always handy to know that a service will be operated with units that have a greater number of seats.

Eagle

Established Member
It's just a shame they don't run all year round. Always handy to know that a service will be operated with units that have a greater number of seats.

Well I've seen it operating through on a Saturday in February, but it must've changed headcode at Birmingham because the screens and announcements, both onboard and at New Street, referred to it as two separate services. Which is just silly IMO.

JEPB

Well I've seen it operating through on a Saturday in February, but it must've changed headcode at Birmingham because the screens and announcements, both onboard and at New Street, referred to it as two separate services. Which is just silly IMO.
As there are new Pendolinos delivered, I understand Virgin are meant to be phasing out Voyagers. Exteding EUS to Wolves services makes sense as it minmises the number of paths between BHM and Wolves, and prvides direct services from Coventry and Birmingham Intl to Scotland

Ibex

The extensions to Edinburgh are on Euston to Birmingham diagrams. The only alterations to Euston to Wolves services over summer is that 15.23 ex Euston and 17.45 ex Wolves are Voyager vice Pendolino.

There are no extra paths between New Street and Wolverhampton because they are normal Bhm - Edinburgh times, the only difference is that the train originated from Euston instead of New St.

MCR247

Established Member
As there are new Pendolinos delivered, I understand Virgin are meant to be phasing out Voyagers.

I presume you only mean on this route? And even then you need more than 3 trains to run the route

Around Easter I caught one of these Edinburgh-Euston Pendolinos as far as Preston. I don't think they tilt between Edinburgh and Carstairs?

MCR247

Established Member
I wouldn't have thoughts so - could be wrong though :)

route:oxford

Established Member
Thats correct they don't :) Slowest part of the whole journey after coming of the WCML.

Chris

The slowest part of the journey *is* coming off the WCML at carstairs.

Walking speed - at best.

Transport Scotland need to get that tight bottle-neck sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.