• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino testing - ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
By the time they'd shortened the vehicles, lowered the height and considerably narrowed them, I'm not sure you'd be so keen on them. They certainly wouldn't be as roomy as the Euro-spec, and obviously nowhere near the "International Spec"

I don't know, MkIVs are roomy enough, and APT itself didn't look too bad inside (and that was smaller). Increasing the size of the windows and tweaking the interior layout would be helpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike C

Agreed. Every time I board a TGV after being on Eurostar, despite the extra dimensions on paper, it doesn't feel much different. Duplex fits more in for sure, but feels way more cramped because of the lower headroom. I remember being on a Belgian commuter train that was built to continental gauge and if anything it felt MORE cramped than a 365.

The best use of the extra space that I can think of are the double deck RER sets. Could do with some of those on the Circle/Met/H&C lines!

LE Greys

Established Member
Agreed. Every time I board a TGV after being on Eurostar, despite the extra dimensions on paper, it doesn't feel much different. Duplex fits more in for sure, but feels way more cramped because of the lower headroom. I remember being on a Belgian commuter train that was built to continental gauge and if anything it felt MORE cramped than a 365.

The best use of the extra space that I can think of are the double deck RER sets. Could do with some of those on the Circle/Met/H&C lines!

Something similar has been tried. http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/4dd.html Biggest problem was fitting all the passengers through the seven doors on each side, which is quite funny considering how much trouble they have with exactly the same thing today and only two doors per side.

Mike C

Yeah, I've seen that before. I've never seen a convincing double deck design for the UK.

I would be very interested in seeing a UK spec Velaro.

route:oxford

Established Member
the best idea for an Intercity EMU would be to combine the Adelante bodyshell (and interior layout, to some extent though with revisions) with the Pendolino traction package. I think that then we would be looking at a decent Intercity EMU design.

With a few superficial internal changes - you're absolutely right.

Pumbaa

Established Member
With a few superficial internal changes - you're absolutely right.

And that is exactly what Alstom are proposing for replacing the IEP.

When we say Pendolino, we mean the family, not the class 390. No new 390s can be built other than for use on the West Coast. If Alstom were to supply new trains from the Pendolino family for EC, they would be completely redesigned to the casual eye. New front end is the most important change. They would have a 180 style body, with the current Pendolino traction package etc underneath.

Wath Yard

Anyway, my favourite conspiracy theory, from a comment on Youtube: "East coast is up for tender in october, Richard branson does want east coast, This train they wanted kept secret, people who posted the times been threatened with the sack, kings cross closed whilst it was there. i smell something fishy". Indeed. They even closed KX so that they could keep it hush-hush.

It would be an excellent conspiracy theory if it were not complete wibble. There are numerous photos of it on Flickr at Kings Cross. They also didn't close Newcastle or York, another 2 places numerous photos were taken at.

LE Greys

Established Member
And that is exactly what Alstom are proposing for replacing the IEP.

When we say Pendolino, we mean the family, not the class 390. No new 390s can be built other than for use on the West Coast. If Alstom were to supply new trains from the Pendolino family for EC, they would be completely redesigned to the casual eye. New front end is the most important change. They would have a 180 style body, with the current Pendolino traction package etc underneath.

A little sematic point. Can it be called a "Pendolino" and not tilt? Perhaps a "non-è-Pendolino" or something.

DownSouth

Established Member
A little sematic point. Can it be called a "Pendolino" and not tilt? Perhaps a "non-è-Pendolino" or something.
It has already been done. There are non-tilting Pendolino trains in a number of European countries.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Anyway, my favourite conspiracy theory, from a comment on Youtube: "East coast is up for tender in october, Richard branson does want east coast, This train they wanted kept secret, people who posted the times been threatened with the sack, kings cross closed whilst it was there. i smell something fishy". Indeed. They even closed KX so that they could keep it hush-hush.

And left it parked up next to the ECML all day? Yes, very top secret.

The Virgin livery was another great attempt to hide things! As conspiracy theories goes, it's one of the crappier ones isn't it!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

ryan125hst

Established Member
Would there be a way around the in cab signalling problem for running at over 125mph? I was reading a document about current and possible future speeds on the ECML that I found a link to on here a few days ago, and it suggested 155mph running was possible between Doncaster and York, and just north of York.

Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I am looking for something and it is driving me mad trying to find it!

I have recently being trying to find the document that I referred to above, but despite spending quite a bit of time searching both this forum and Google, I am yet to find it. I last saw it in March, and stupidly didn't think to save it to my PC or, at the very least, bookmark it.

The document basically lists the current line speed and the speed at which it would be possible to increase the limit to on the East Coast Main Line between London Kings Cross and Thirsk. It details the mileages at which the current speed limits are at as well, and I believe it is set out as a table.

If anyone can give me a link to this document, I would be very grateful. The fact that the ECML is about to open for tendering got me interested in how the ECML can be improved, and this document is one of the first things I thought about.

Once again, I am sorry for posting in this old thread, and I thank anyone who can locate this document.

Many thanks

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.