• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pentagonal Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Are there any toolmakers or similar on the forum who can explain this? I wanted a 12mm hole in some thin (~1mm) rigid plastic. I started with a 3mm drill then a 7mm drill but decided any bigger would be too aggressive on the thin material so I would open it up with my tapered hand reamer which has four spiral flutes. When it was nearly to size I took the reamer out to look at the hole, to my surprise it was pentagonal with radiused corners. Any ideas how that happened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Any ideas how that happened?

Have you tried drawing it out on a piece of paper with a compass ?

Sounds perfectly logical to me but ye olde pen and paper may better reveal what you did.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Hmm... I have had a similar thing happen in the past and couldn't work it out either. I am all agog for the answer from one the forum's technical experts.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's what you get for trying to make coffins out plastic.

Railsigns

Established Member
This page shows how you can use a triangular drill bit to cut a square hole with radiused corners. It mentions that tools are available to cut pentagonal holes too.

DaleCooper

Established Member
This page shows how you can use a triangular drill bit to cut a square hole with radiused corners. It mentions that tools are available to cut pentagonal holes too.

I was thinking it might be connected with the square hole drill, that has three flutes and cuts a square so maybe four flutes is capable of cutting a pentagon with a bit of wiggling.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Just spent the best part of the last hour looking into 'broaching' Hexagonal holes galore !

AndyPJG

Are there any toolmakers or similar on the forum who can explain this? I wanted a 12mm hole in some thin (~1mm) rigid plastic. I started with a 3mm drill then a 7mm drill but decided any bigger would be too aggressive on the thin material so I would open it up with my tapered hand reamer which has four spiral flutes. When it was nearly to size I took the reamer out to look at the hole, to my surprise it was pentagonal with radiused corners. Any ideas how that happened?

I read somewhere the trick to drilling out a pilot hole larger in thin metal is to place a small piece of folded cloth between the drill tip and the sheet metal.

See youtube old machinist trick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.