• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penzance to Thurso by train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I hadn't thought about going to Lands end or John o Groats only the travel by train part but it's an idea to think about. I also was thinking about incorporating both sleepers into my journey but it wouldn't be a get there as fast as you can journey because I want to enjoy it and I want those with me to enjoy it as well. I wouldnt cope with that kind of journey either. Currently my girlfriend and sister have agreed to come with me and depending on the month my mum might as well. I reckon its unusual for 4 women to do this journey so i might set some kind of record! I might also have some friends joining me for some of the journey.
I'm absolutely loving all these responses. Thank you everyone

Thanks for coming back and providing an update on what you want from the journey :)

Incorporating both the Night Riviera and the Caledonian Sleeper, that both makes it easier and more awkward. Easier because it means there's less concern over tight connections, but awkward in finding a way to do both services without a full day somewhere. Depending on the wants and needs of yourself, your girlfriend and sister, as well as potentially your Mum too, that could work out quite well though.

I absolutely 100% wouldn't go for the seated sleeper option, that's just asking for an uncomfortable and not enjoyable experience. A sleeper cabin does increase the cost, there's no question of that, by a lot of money. Especially so on the Caledonian Sleeper, but for a one-off experience I think it's got to be done. The Caledonian Sleeper has the advantage of double rooms, with a full size double bed, which would be handy for you and your girlfriend. Much better than the bunk bed-style accommodation in other cabins, but then again that's just part of the experience!

I recently watched Steve Marsh's video on YouTube about the Night Riviera sleeper, and I highly recommend watching it for an insight into the cabin and experience in general. I liked it so much that I actually want to do the sleeper train myself, and I last did it in 2012 when the seated sleeper was still using former First Class seats. Oh wow they were comfortable! 11.5 years, nearly, later and I am finally going to book the journey soon! The video I refer to is below:

I also link to his video on the double room on the Caledonian Sleeper, which I also feels deserves a watch:

He's also done a video on the seated sleeper with Caledonian Sleeper :)

As for how I'd make this trip work, well clearly I'd join the sleeper at Penzance all the way to London. It is an early morning arrival, granted, but the shower facilities and the lounge in Paddington would absolutely be worth a visit to freshen up. Realistically, I'd be ready to leave Paddington by 0630, and that's with a very casual start to the day in the lounge etc. Chances are that I'd be ready sooner and making the most of my 14 and something hours in London, before joining the Highlander for a departure from Euston at 2115.

That's where the needs and wants comes into play. For a group of 3, potentially 4, adults it won't be easy to find something to do for that long that satisfies everyone. Personally, I'd easily do so but I have multiple cardio disciplines that would help fill the time if nothing else, although I'd also look to do a whole ton of trains while in London. I've no doubt whatsoever a number of us could help you plan a full day in London, if you detail what kind of things you're all interested in :)

Of course, it's then a case of enjoying the experience up to Inverness, with a good couple of hours for some breakfast etc before the 1041 to Wick via Thurso. Inverness is a beautiful city, well worth spending some time exploring and I've got it on my list of things to do. I've been and I personally loved it on my brief visits, even in the winter, so I've no doubt you will too :)

However, what I'd also suggest is something slightly different to the above. Keep it all the same up to London, enjoy the lounge etc on arrival and spend the morning doing some sightseeing etc. What I'd suggest is booking a First Class trip to Inverness with LNER, aiming perhaps for the 1200 London Kings Cross to Inverness, the Highland Chieftain, as the number one choice but also considering the journey with a change in Edinburgh if necessary. Yes it means a hotel would be required in Inverness, but I'd suggest that it could be a more enjoyable and civilised way to travel north. It also offers the opportunity to enjoy the scenery in daylight hours on the way to Scotland.

The reason I suggest that and not the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness is two-fold. One, it provides some variety but two, it allows for the sleeper to feature as part of the southbound trip on the way back from Thurso. Now of course everyone's wants from such a trip will differ, and this post is just to give you some ideas. As I allude further up, my personal trip would be Penzance-Paddington, a full day of cardio and trains in London, the Highlander Euston-Inverness, a couple of hours exploring Inverness then the train to Thurso.

That said, given the option, I'd strongly consider another alternative for my own trip. The same up to London, then over to Kings Cross and onto Lumo to Edinburgh, connect onto a train to Aberdeen for a long overdue explore, hotel that night then early morning train to Inverness and onto the Far North.

Final thought for now is to ask whether you've considered the journey from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh? Considered one of the most scenic journeys in the UK, it's definitely a journey I'd recommend if you have the time. I did most of the journey for the first time in many years back in January, and the scenery was just beautiful. A journey I'd recommend to absolutely anyone, it's not a fast route by any means but it is so beautiful you won't want it to be over too fast anyway :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
I hadn't thought about going to Lands end or John o Groats only the travel by train part but it's an idea to think about. I also was thinking about incorporating both sleepers into my journey but it wouldn't be a get there as fast as you can journey because I want to enjoy it and I want those with me to enjoy it as well. I wouldnt cope with that kind of journey either. Currently my girlfriend and sister have agreed to come with me and depending on the month my mum might as well. I reckon its unusual for 4 women to do this journey so i might set some kind of record! I might also have some friends joining me for some of the journey.
I'm absolutely loving all these responses. Thank you everyone
If you have the time, I'd spread the journey over a few days with overnight stopovers and avoid the winter period, so you see all the scenery in daylight. Also consider doing a side daytrip to Kyle of Localsh from Inverness - it's got some stunning scenery (better than the Far North line, IMHO, which I find a bit bleak at the northern end).

The first time that I went to Thurso was on a ticket like this from London in March 1982. In those days it was easier because of the "Scottish Internal" overnight trains between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness.
I did a few Scottish railrover trips in the early 1980s and made good use of the the 'internal' overnight trains between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness (saved the cost of a hotel/B&B night as well). My usual northbound route (from Cambridge) was daytime east coast to Newcastle then across to Carlisle, then early hours overnight train to Glasgow, then an early morning train to Oban, Fort William/Mallaig or Inverness. Southbound I often took a somewhat meandering west coast route back to Cambridge, I suspect pushing the BR 'reasonable route' criteria a bit far sometimes :smile:.

AdamWW

Established Member
These days, of course, all Wick trains go via Thurso so it's trivial to do both.
True. Not quite as much fun as having a 37 waiting at Georgemas Jn to take one of the portions forwards though.

gg1

Established Member
Given time add in Glasgow - Fort William if not Mallaig and Inverness / Dingwall - Kyle of Lochalsh. A bit of a cheat but you could possibly do Glasgow > Mallaig > ferry > Skye by bus > Kyle of Lochalsh > Inverness / Dingwall. You do then miss the option of both the direct line through Blair Atholl & Aviemore and the line via Aberdeen.
If you're doing that you're also covering Arisaig, the most westerly station in Britain, in which case you I'd be tempted to go for the full house of cardinal directions and include Lowestoft too :D

It would require at least 3 days though, with the first night being on the Lowland sleeper (Highland sleeper may be a possibility but connection times would be a bit tight for my liking if I was doing Lowestoft too) and the second in a hotel/BnB. If timetables allow (which I think they would in the summer though not 100% sure), I suggest a bus from Armadale (on Skye) to Portree at the end of day 2, stay overnight there then bus to Kyle on the morning of the 3rd day before starting the rail journey to Thurso. The scenery on the road to Portree is beautiful.

david1212

Established Member
I hadn't thought about going to Lands end or John o Groats only the travel by train part but it's an idea to think about. I also was thinking about incorporating both sleepers into my journey but it wouldn't be a get there as fast as you can journey because I want to enjoy it and I want those with me to enjoy it as well. ......

If you have the time, I'd spread the journey over a few days with overnight stopovers ...

I have thought more about the Scotland part given I live in the Midlands and I have pondered once retired doing a few predominantly railway loop trips with stopovers be they a few hours or a full day.

I didn't mention the sleepers as first the circuit I outlined kept away from London and second key to me is seeing the scenery. The other side of the coin is the experience and avoiding a night in a hotel. I would only do either the Lowlander to Scotland or possibly the Highlander to/from Aberdeen not Inverness or Fort William but we are discussing your potential trip.

Looking back I can not see that you have said the area you would be starting and finishing at. Another consideration is how many days you can allow thinking of holiday time from work, time from family life and your budget. For the former while including a bank holiday gives 9 clear nights for 4 days away from work it also the busiest time for rail travel, hotels etc so I would not recommend it.

enjoy_trains

I'm definitely thinking about spreading the journey out over 3 or 4 days because I don't want a crazy scramble to catch trains and sightsee as well. I want us to enjoy what we are doing. Eventually I shall write my intended route down and it'll all come together. Thank you everyone. I'm loving all the responses

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm definitely thinking about spreading the journey out over 3 or 4 days because I don't want a crazy scramble to catch trains and sightsee as well. I want us to enjoy what we are doing. Eventually I shall write my intended route down and it'll all come together. Thank you everyone. I'm loving all the responses

The primary question from me then is how do you think you'll do the return journey?

enjoy_trains

I don't know yet. I'm not sure if I want to do it one way, both ways or one way and then terminate in Birmingham where I live. I like the idea of both ways though because I can incorporate both sleepers and vary the route considerably.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have a feeling doing it both ways could end up getting a bit repetitive, but definitely options to mix it up on the return leg.

In a bid to do such, one could consider the X99 bus from Wick to Inverness, to take in a different route and thus different scenery. I've not done it myself, but I'm told it's significantly quicker than the train. Always a possibility to do something different, although equally in a small group it may not be the best option.

One of the reasons I asked about the journey south was that I was going to highly recommend the stunning Marriott Bonvoy hotel at Inverness Airport. If you choose to fly to/from Birmingham, or indeed London then train to Birmingham, the hotel's really convenient for the airport and really is only a few minutes' walk from the hotel front door to the airport front door. I stayed there in January 2023 and it was brilliant, easily one of my best hotel stays ever. Not *the* best, that was the Sheraton in Zagreb :wub:

I'd also recommend it for a stay in Inverness, it would require a train or bus into the city but it's a beautiful hotel and one I'd happily book into again when I next visit the Highlands.

Just as a heads-up, I watched that video I linked to about the Caledonian Sleeper, that double room sells for more than £400! Definitely one I'd recommend but also to save up for!

I'd attach a photo of mine for the Classic room, but I don't have it on this device. Much cheaper than the Club or Club Double rooms, but also smaller and more basic. However, the bedding is really nice and I still want it for my own place!

DelW

Established Member
Depending how committed you are to travelling exclusively by train, for your return you could catch Citylink 919 from Inverness to Fort William and then return to Glasgow via the West Highland line (possibly using the sleeper if times suited).

The bus takes around 2 hours and travels the length of the Great Glen (including Loch Ness).

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The bus takes around 2 hours and travels the length of the Great Glen (including Loch Ness).
I've always found the Inverness to Fort William route a bit tedious, certainly compared to other routes in the area.

Inverness to Perth on the A9 is a more interesting coach journey.

Ant1966

Used to be quite popular I believe in the days that BR ran an offer (in Februarys I think) where you could get a £10 return ticket from anywhere to anywhere with a young person's railcard.

I think the prevailing view then was that one should do Penzance to Wick as that's slightly further than Thurso, but then you're not going from the most northern to the most southern station.

(It works out quite nicely that the UK is the right shape that most Southerly station is at an extremity of the rail network, rather than somewhere on the way or even somewhere in the South East.)
We did that ticket back in the day (mid 80s) from Bristol to Inverness, although I think it was maybe £12? Almost an ALR in itself (with a few add ons). Will see if I can dig out the Trip report!

Requeststop

Actually, this past week I've done Penzance to Oban with a one night stay over in Liverpool.
My journey north was messed up at Plymouth when the XC service to Birmingham was delayed 20 mins by the incoming from Leeds being 20 Late.
This meant that I missed the West Coast connection at New Street and had to find my way to the ticket office to get an endorsement there and was sent on a wild goose chase to National Rail. (never mind) So I was an hour late with my connection to Crewe where I had to change for Lime Street. Hey Ho!
Next morning my TPE train to Glasgow Central left on time but I had been directed to the wrong platform at Lime Street and had to get off at Edge Hill and return to Lime Street and get the next train to Preston and connect to Glasgow Central, but arrived too late for the journey from Queen Street to Oban, waiting over four hours for a ride in the dark to Oban.
Today, (Tuesday) I took the 12:11 Oban service to Crianlarich to change to Fort William to catch the 14:24 to Fort William, only to be told when de-training that there had been a bridge strike at Upper Tyndrum and there would be a bus service to Bridge of Orchy and then the train to Fort William. As it turned out, the bus took us all the way to here in Fort William.

Goes to prove that the best laid plans even in this highly technological day and age will never go to plan. So beware of a Thurso to Penzance journey. We had three weeks of mayhem in West Cornwall recently with signalling work between St Austell and St Erth.

Thursday, I'm putting myself into chances hands once again with a day return from Fort William to Mallaig. Fingers crossed.

Saturday I am due to return from Fort William to Truro via Glasgow and Birmingham. Phuq that for a lark. I'm not risking it. This is my 70th Birthday treat to come and do the West Highland lines so.... I've booked Friday Night on the Caledonian Sleeper to Euston and then Saturday lunchtime, Paddington to Truro.

Keep a watchout for the original planned journey to be perfect and the Sleeper, breaking down, some demonstration in London delaying my connection between Euston and Paddington and the 12:03 Paddington/Penzance breaking down, being stopped by flooding at Cowley Bridge, or diverted and delayed and arriving Truro at somewhere near to midnight.

Requeststop

We did that ticket back in the day (mid 80s) from Bristol to Inverness, although I think it was maybe £12? Almost an ALR in itself (with a few add ons). Will see if I can dig out the Trip report!
As a student in the early 1970's I did an old BR excursion from Temple Meads to Edinburgh for£5:00. Left at 5am and returned by 1 or 2am next morning.

greyman42

Established Member
They always called them priv short for privilege tickets - as did my grandmother who was the widow of a railway man.

I have not heard the phrase - free psss ticket.
Back in the 70s you would travel either by pass or priv. Passes were small blue tickets that you got from your works office that had where you were travelling from and too (return). You got a certain amount each year depending on your job/grade.
Privs were as now. Bought from the station ticket office for 25% of the normal fare. They were unlimited regarding how many you could use.

Status
Not open for further replies.