• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permanent Way tool catalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSC Friends

Hi,
I am researching the proper names of some of the the p-way tools in the Great Western Railway Room at Newton Abbot Town Museum - we're re-vamping the text for the next season.
Does anyone know of a catalogue that the GWR and BR(W) may have bought their tools from so I can get the right name for the implement - I'd rather not call it 'a rake', if it's actually a 'GWR 9-prong ballast rake' !
Thanks
RSC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RSC Friends

Thank you, Ploughman, that's exactly right - but ours is wooden-handled.
The catalogue has an array of other products which I recognise - evethough the modern version, so I can do some matching up.
Good job, thanks

Trog

Established Member
The ballast fork one of the ways you could use it was to remove the ballast with a shovel, then use a ballast fork to return it. This left a pile of fines behind that you disposed of and cleaner ballast in the track than what you dug out.

Status
Not open for further replies.