• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes Basingstoke to Havant

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowyOwl40

Hi, I'm new to the forum and understanding the term "any permitted routes". I notice that an annual season ticket from Woking to Portsmouth is £4,888 and one from Basingstoke to Havant £4,944.

I was wondering if it it possible to use a Woking to Portsmouth season ticket to travel between Basingstoke and Havant?

I see that is a direct train from Woking to Portsmouth (via Basingstoke) and one from Portsmouth to Woking (via Havant and Guildford). When I looked up the routing information, it permits journeys on routes SW, PU, PD and change within the Portsmouth group (Cosham, Fareham, Hilsea).

I take it the only thing that wouldn't be allowed on that ticket would be changing via Southampton Central Station? Any help understanding this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum and understanding the term "any permitted routes". I notice that an annual season ticket from Woking to Portsmouth is £4,888 and one from Basingstoke to Havant £4,944.

I was wondering if it it possible to use a Woking to Portsmouth season ticket to travel between Basingstoke and Havant?

I see that is a direct train from Woking to Portsmouth (via Basingstoke) and one from Portsmouth to Woking (via Havant and Guildford). When I looked up the routing information, it permits journeys on routes SW, PU, PD and change within the Portsmouth group (Cosham, Fareham, Hilsea).

I take it the only thing that wouldn't be allowed on that ticket would be changing via Southampton Central Station? Any help understanding this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum :). As far as I can see the Woking-Portsmouth season is fine for travel from Basignstoke to Havant.

The permitted routes for Woking-Portsmouth are the Portsmouth Direct line via Guildford and Havant ( traceable on map PD ) and the South West Mainline via Winchester ( traceable on map SW ).

Because you'll have a season ticket, you can switch from one permitted route to another during your journey *.

You can go from Basingstoke to Woking on SW then Woking to Havant on PD (and v.v.)

(* You can't switch between permitted routes in this way using an ordinary flexible ticket - that makes it impossible demonstrate the validity using a journey planner. You might want to get confirmation of the validity for your intended use in writing from the TOC before you purchase.)

It's not uncommon for savings on seasons to be achievable by choosing your origin and destination wisely - other forum members might be able to come up with a better option for your intended journey.

Btw I'm only seeing maps PD and SW for Woking-Portsmouth Group ( yellow pages - page 2221 ) - where are you seeing PU?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.