• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes during engineering works (Edinburgh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mildertduck

A friend is wanting to travel from Leuchars to Durham this Sunday, however the line between Edinburgh and Newcastle is closed (bus-replacement), and there are also diversions via Carlisle.

NRE isn't showing any of the services through Carlisle as valid options, only getting on one (or even two) buses. Are the routes via Carlisle (i.e. Leuchars - Waverly (change) Waverley - Durham via Carlisle) valid on an Any Permitted ticket? Or if not, why not?

Many thanks,
~ Duck ~

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Are the routes via Carlisle (i.e. Leuchars - Waverley (change) Waverley - Durham via Carlisle) valid on an Any Permitted ticket?
Yes. See "Engineering Work, Diversions and Service Disruption" on page 7 of the National Routeing Guide Instructions.

There are through trains from Leuchars to Newcastle (via Carlisle) on Sunday 16 September, leaving Leuchars at 1116, 1315 and 1518. I would travel by one of those.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect the reason that NRE isn't showing them as permitted via Carlisle is due to the way it's programmed (which isn't very well). To get around that I'd advise using East Coast's journey planner, specifying Via: Carlisle and then selecting the timetable only option. This gives you an itinerary irrespective of ticket/route validities and you can then see just what your non-bustituted options are.

As John suggests above I'd suggest using one of the three through trains to Newcastle.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The easiest way to find out is to ask EC, they know what arrangements they have made for through travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.