• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Perseverance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughqq

Over three years ago now I had the opportunity to briefly speak to a train driver at Rugby. I took the chance to ask his advice about how to become a train driver and his answer was simply perseverance.

It was from there that my journey started and how true those words of advice came to be.

I failed my first attempt at stage 1 and actually found that very valuable and a good foundation to move forward. Not long after that I found UK rail forums and was able to prepare at a different level given all the information and advice available.

About six months later I had the opportunity to do stage 1 again and passed.

Shortly after that I went to stage 2 passing the computer tests. I failed the MMI missing out on one question, frustrating! On reflection I know I let myself down and could have fully passed at that attempt.

So again an enforced wait and it was close to a year before getting the chance to re take the MMI and passed.

Onto the DMI shortly afterwards and despite an apparently great interview I failed. This really shook me particularly as the one interviewer who showed me out said he had no problems with the interview.

However never let a set back end your journey. I asked for feedback and only really got a you could have answered two of the questions in depth a bit more.

So I re doubled my efforts to prep for a DMI and nearly a year later I got another chance, but this time at a depot ten minutes from home! The interview lasted nearly two and a half hours so I think I covered the in depth bit okay! The feedback was great and I passed.

Sometimes the stars have a different journey planned for you and you just need to be prepared for things to not go your way all the time.

So after three long years I am super excited to start my train driver training tomorrow morning and I am extremely grateful to the people on this forum that have provided advice and guidance.

For those still on their journey I go back to the start of my post. Perseverance is key and that initial chat over three years ago turned out to be oh so true. Good luck to all :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kit.Frank

Great post. I'm finding the forum invaluable too! I hope your training goes well and good luck in your career as a driver :D Well done!

red2005

He was spot on!......people who try once then give up because they were unsuccessful first time around don't deserve the job and the benefits it brings!

You alone with the way you worked your nuts off and took the knocks on the chin prove that hard work can pay off! And after a fair bit of adversity like you went through it can feel even better when you finally get there!

Congratulations and welcome to the mob.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would also add that its very much an attitude problem too. Those who take any knock back and turn it into a positive show that they are capable and have the right attitudes to become a Train driver; or indeed any career choice.

There are many who decry the system and how it doesn't reflect on the job or that they didn't receive feedback or it wasn't sufficient etc etc. There are those that see it as inherently unfair and nothing was their fault.

This stood out for me.

However never let a set back end your journey. I asked for feedback and only really got a you could have answered two of the questions in depth a bit more.

So I re doubled my efforts to prep for a DMI and nearly a year later I got another chance, but this time at a depot ten minutes from home! The interview lasted nearly two and a half hours so I think I covered the in depth bit okay! The feedback was great and I passed.

It's refreshing to see such a good attitude towards failure. Take it on the chin and push forward.

I think a lot of the part where you considered you "failed" I believe is more about others just being a little bit better.

Onto the DMI shortly afterwards and despite an apparently great interview I failed. This really shook me particularly as the one interviewer who showed me out said he had no problems with the interview.

It's very likely that you gave a great interview but there is still a sift to be done. Interviews are are subjective and another candidate can make the sift and pip you at the post. Still many find this to be unfair and decry the system.

Sometimes the stars have a different journey planned for you and you just need to be prepared for things to not go your way all the time.

QFT.

Congratulations on getting through an incredibly arduous journey. Its a crap one at times but we all go through it.

My best advice for the next step is to listen, keep an open mind, go in carte blanche and prepare for 2 years of hard learning and dedication.

rd749249

Great post and one that I can relate to. I'm a month in and loving it. Hope all goes well for you

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's a really nice post; congratulations and all the best of luck with your training!

Orchid

Congratulations and good luck in your new career. It will be well worth the wait. Kudos for the honest and well written post.

Nella52

Congratulations on achieving your goal. That is a really inspirational post.
I too have learnt from this forum and the advice from other forumites.

Hughqq

Thanks for the comments on my post and your support, it's really appreciated :D

SLV

Great post - I applied for a Conductor position with FTPE and passed everything bar one MMI question - I was totally gutted and kind of walked away from it all for a bit and just thought it wasn't for me.

I ended up applying to Northern as a conductor a year later, was successful and am currently seconded doing something I love there. Things happen for a reason and I'm so glad I tried again. I know so many drivers that it took at least 3 attempts, you can't give up if you really want it.

Hughqq

Absolutely, well done and good luck

Great post - I applied for a Conductor position with FTPE and passed everything bar one MMI question - I was totally gutted and kind of walked away from it all for a bit and just thought it wasn't for me.

I ended up applying to Northern as a conductor a year later, was successful and am currently seconded doing something I love there. Things happen for a reason and I'm so glad I tried again. I know so many drivers that it took at least 3 attempts, you can't give up if you really want it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for posting. It's very nice to read posts like this, and I am sure it will help others too.

MEN1969

Got some great news that I start as a trainee driver on Feb 13th I can't wait. A big thank you to all the advice given on this forum.

I have had highs and lows but as people have said on this invaluable forum keep plugging away, that is exactly what I did. I realise I have been really lucky to get to this position in a relatively short time (Jan 2016 started application process)

I applied to 3 different TOC's. First one I didn't get through the application process, second one got as far as DMI but failed that, third one learnt my lesson from the failure and successfully got the job offer.

My best advice is to remain calm and patient through every part of the application process and be prepared for some downs but to not to let your head go down too much and then kick on again. I wish everyone applying good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.