• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Personal Nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmcnamara97

Just an idea, a thread to link people with media relating to their own personal nostalgic railway memories

I’m sure many people’s favourite railway scene is what they remember best from their youth, for me it’s getting the train from Ormskirk to Preston and Liverpool in the very early 00’s. I always loved First North Western DMUs, but as that’s a fairly mundane niche you never see loads of content pertaining to it online. (For example I have vivid memories of seeing GMPTE liveried 142s at Preston and without exaggeration I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen a photo/ video of that) and it’s rare I come across a photo or video I haven’t seen before these days

So how about a place to come, post what your most nostalgic scene is, and see if anyone can direct you to or provide you with the nostalgic content you’re after!

Apologies if this already exists I’ve had a scan and can’t see it, and apologies once again if it’s not allowed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
My grandad taking me to Exeter St David's in late 90s/early 00s and seeing the changeover from (basically) BR XC with locos through Operation Princess to the HSTs and Voyagers. That and a parade of fag packet GW HSTs.

Also the same scenes but at Whiteball or Dawlish.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A 101 or 110 chugging away at Huddersfield platform 4 before heading off to Sheffield.
The roar of a 91 as it propels out of Wakefield Westgate.

SteveM70

Established Member
The “ding ding” of the guard giving the right away on a 304, followed by the gentle bouncing of the crazily sprung seats

Standing in assembly at school and hearing a 50 thrash past on the 09:09 (or being disappointed if it was a duff)

D6130

Established Member
The deafening scream of a Paxman-engined NBL class 29 slipping its way up the sharply-curving 1 in 58 gradient from Craigendoran Junction to Helensburgh Upper with the Down Fort William sleepers on a dark, damp late-Autumn morning. If you lived on the Churchill estate you didn't need an alarm clock, unless you had to be up before 06 40! (Sundays excepted....you could have a lie-in then!).

Irascible

Established Member
Bone-white/pink ballast ( was that a west country thing? ). A tatty blue Western going across Red Cow crossing on the avoiders at Exeter St Davids with a poor bloke walking those enormous gates ( that must be one of my first ever memories ). Wandering around Didcot GWS depot with nothing fenced off, no safety staff anywhere & engines in steam moving around the place. Aircon mk2s to Paddington ( so relaxing ). Old Mk1s to Barnstaple ( not... relaxing, but interesting ). Barnstaple having track, looking like you could go somewhere else than where you'd come from. Barnstaple goods yard with real modern freight wagons being unloaded. Nearly braining myself on the old china clay line at Instow when I tripped over it. Not long disused level crossing at Braunton towards the dunes. An afternoon in the box at Tiverton Jct in about 1982 - the ambience of an old but extremely well cared for house, clanging of bells, clack of otherwise noiseless levers, the anticipation of the train, and then the rattle of returning signals waving the train on as the post sways, echo of the train fading in the distance, ( that was a formative experience, watching how a network was managed mechanically ). LU station signs flashing past at Ealing Broadway. Baulk track at Paddington. Idling Valentas at Paddington. That distinctive graunch sound the guard's close-doors buttons made on old tube stock. Clunk-Tickticktick of tapchangers as an old EMU moves off. Clanging of couplers & quiet whirring of motors at Hornsey depot telling me it's time to get up ( I lived right by it ). That random collection of stock at a closed station between Bristol & Weston-Super-Mare. The slight creepiness of Moorgate's northern city platforms. GWS vintage trains on the main line. Preserved stock painted in something other than BR.

Last edited:

contrex

Green 1925 type SUBs running past the back of our house in the 1950s. Summer Saturday trips to Margate in brand new shiny green CEP/BEP/CEPs. Journeys to school in 1964 from West Norwood to North Dulwich. By going via Streatham Hill I was able to catch the once-a-day Victoria - London Bridge service (headcode 01) that used the Leigham Spur to Tulse Hill and almost invariably included one of the 4101 series 'Sheba' 4-SUBs. The sound of the EE339 traction motors. Saturdays on either an SR Rail Rover (tin HALs!) or an LT Twin Rover (including a ride on Standard stock on the Great Northern & City line - the 'clack' as the doors closed) .

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
One other thing….

Going into the old parcels bay at Coventry to see whether there was a loco in there, and cabbing it if there was. Generally a 25, but memorably once 40013

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
1959. DMU Manchester Piccadilly (then London Road)-Hayfield, hike over Kinder Scout to Edale, steam train Edale to Manchester Central, DMU to Altrincham.
1960. First run on the WCML, steam up from Warrington to Euston, class 40 down to Manchester (last lap from Crewe with electric loco).
1961. D1000 Western Enterprise turned up on my first day of "hanging around" Reading General station.
Holiday runabout ticket Chester/North Wales, including lines closed soon after (eg 0705 Chester-Caernarfon-Llanberis for a climb up Snowdon).
Included several non-stop class 40-hauled Chester-Holyhead runs on summer Irish Mail services, Lyons Fruit Pies at Holyhead station in between.

PeterC

Established Member
Watching coal wagons being hump shunted at Romford on my way home from school.

Road Machines monorail at the sewerage works between Brentwood and Harold Wood, banana vans at Goodmayes, narrow guage at Stratford, timber lighters when crossing the Lea. The GEML was a lot more interesting in the 60s and 70s.

Arrpi87

For me it's more auditory and smell.

NSE slam doors of the 90's. Hearing the London Victoria to Ramsgate/Dover services making a huge noise going across Sittingbourne East Junction as they slowed on approach to the station, or the whine of those old electric motors as the London bound services accelerated the other direction. We lived across the road from the junction.

Soon after, the 4CIG(?) on the Sittingbourne to Sheerness branch would trundle past slowly as it turned off at the junction. Wheels squealing on the bend.

Then at Sittingbourne Station itself, that distinctive smell of the footbridge of too many nasty cleaning products trying to cover the grime and dirt. Meanwhile the old slammer is waiting at platform 3 for a few London/Coast services to arrive and depart before itself can depart to Sheerness. It sits there with the air compressor kicking in now and then, and making those random clicking noises those old trains used to make.

I miss those old trains, so comfortable compared to today. Where its all Electrostars, Networkers and Javelins providing services to the town.

Titch

So many memories…

Our house used to back onto the freight-only line between Warrington Arpley and Ditton, so there were always 20s and 56s scuttling back and forth between Fiddlers Ferry PS and Arpley; 25s, 37s, 40s and the ubiquitous ‘Duffs’ on trip workings/speedlink services.

Crewe was also a regular spot, plenty of variety in the early 80s. Plus, whenever there was a tour around the works we used to tag along. I distinctly remember walking along the line-up of 40s in Flag Lane sidings to the east of the works, all waiting their turn to be dragged into the Melt Shop for final cutting. Being up-close to those whistling beasts is a memory I’ll carry with me forever.

SteveM70

Established Member
And another……the rattle of trains of BRUTEs being ferried round stations. I remember it particularly vividly at Peterborough

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I too have fond memories of travelling from Ormskirk to Liverpool in the noughties when I was a kid. Moved around a lot when I was younger, so Ormskirk to Liverpool on the subway, Fleetwood to Blackpool on the Tram (end destination was always the Boot's Cafe), and Belper to Sheffield trips on Swallow livered HSTs are some I miss.
Yellow Merseyrail City Line 142s were awesome, got a 00-gauge model of one of them.
Might sound pathetic, but I'm also nostalgic about the Portland El Train.

Galvanize

Couple of early railway memories…apologies for the long read!

Vaguely remember my Grandparents had their Ruby Wedding Anniversary Family Gathering in the mid 1990s in Morecambe of all places (apparently they wanted to have it in Venice of ALL places but would be too tricky logistically for the whole family to get to!). One of the days, we (me, my Parents, my Brother and my Granddad) went to Carnforth, before West Coast Railway Co moved in, to SteamTown.

Among other things…we rode on the little Miniature Railway, I stood by the Railway Fence with Dad and my Granddad and watched the trains go past on the WCML. Various Intercity liveried trains went past either pushed or pulled by AC Locos, at least one Pacer or Sprinter trundled past…and perhaps the most interesting, a Loco hauled Regional Railways service, which I can only guess to be a Class 31 on a Manchester Victoria-Barrow service!

On another Family Holiday, we went to Devon in 1996, staying in a Chalet not far from Axminster and not far from the Coast. I wanted to see a train in action…so on the way back from somewhere, my Parents stopped off at Axminster Station and we waited around in the hope that a train would appear. For some reason, I was hoping it would be a “Intercity 125”…but my Mum dismissed that by saying something like “A Big Train like that would be far too important to stop at a small place like Axminster…it would probably be just a local service.” Expecting it to be a 2 car 150 or something…I was really surprised to see a 3 car NSE liveried 159 come round the corner, and even more surprised it had come all the way from London Waterloo. Privatisation I suppose had already happened but all that went over my head at that time, far as we all knew, it was still NSE, somewhat out of place.

The Seaton Tramway was also visited…just me and my Dad…we rode an Open Top Tram of some description from Seaton to Colyton…recall Dad wouldn’t let me play in the Children’s playground as he didn’t want to wait 20 minutes for another Tram, so we came straight back to Seaton on the one we came up on. With that…started an interest in Trams!

Pleased to say that after 25 years, I revisited that part of the world last Summer, including another ride on the Seaton Tramway, and besides watching the trains at Axminster…was able to sink a couple of pints at the recently opened Micropub…The Ale Way! Highly recommended!

D6130

Established Member
Couple of early railway memories…apologies for the long read!

Vaguely remember my Grandparents had their Ruby Wedding Anniversary Family Gathering in the mid 1990s in Morecambe of all places (apparently they wanted to have it in Venice of ALL places but would be too tricky logistically for the whole family to get to!). One of the days, we (me, my Parents, my Brother and my Granddad) went to Carnforth, before West Coast Railway Co moved in, to SteamTown.

Among other things…we rode on the little Miniature Railway, I stood by the Railway Fence with Dad and my Granddad and watched the trains go past on the WCML. Various Intercity liveried trains went past either pushed or pulled by AC Locos, at least one Pacer or Sprinter trundled past…and perhaps the most interesting, a Loco hauled Regional Railways service, which I can only guess to be a Class 31 on a Manchester Victoria-Barrow service!

On another Family Holiday, we went to Devon in 1996, staying in a Chalet not far from Axminster and not far from the Coast. I wanted to see a train in action…so on the way back from somewhere, my Parents stopped off at Axminster Station and we waited around in the hope that a train would appear. For some reason, I was hoping it would be a “Intercity 125”…but my Mum dismissed that by saying something like “A Big Train like that would be far too important to stop at a small place like Axminster…it would probably be just a local service.” Expecting it to be a 2 car 150 or something…I was really surprised to see a 3 car NSE liveried 159 come round the corner, and even more surprised it had come all the way from London Waterloo. Privatisation I suppose had already happened but all that went over my head at that time, far as we all knew, it was still NSE, somewhat out of place.

The Seaton Tramway was also visited…just me and my Dad…we rode an Open Top Tram of some description from Seaton to Colyton…recall Dad wouldn’t let me play in the Children’s playground as he didn’t want to wait 20 minutes for another Tram, so we came straight back to Seaton on the one we came up on. With that…started an interest in Trams!

Pleased to say that after 25 years, I revisited that part of the world last Summer, including another ride on the Seaton Tramway, and besides watching the trains at Axminster…was able to sink a couple of pints at the recently opened Micropub…The Ale Way! Highly recommended!
Some great memories there! There's nothing like sinking a pint or three of good real ale in a pub on or next to a station and watching the trains go by! :D

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
A very young me standing on Slough station and seeing a pair of Warships running through at full speed.
Finding out that I needed glasses by not being able to read the numbers of the locos at Severn Tunnel Junction.
Taking some incredibly foolish risks to visit loco depots whilst on Rail Rover trips in the 1970s (no names, no pack drill!).
Travelling on one of the last two trains to Ashburton on the then Dart Valley Railway.
Seeing King George V undergoing restoration at the A R Adams / United Wagon Company in Newport, before her Return to Steam Tour in 1971 - I also saw this at Severn Tunnel Junction.

"Those were the days, my friend .... we thought they'd never end" (With thanks to Mary Hopkin!)

Galvanize

Some great memories there! There's nothing like sinking a pint or three of good real ale in a pub on or next to a station and watching the trains go by! :D
Definitely enjoyed relieving those memories and for most of the time the Weather was on my side.

Somewhat ironically, GW HSTs have run through Axminster if the MainLine via Taunton is closed, and very occasionally they have actually stopped there.

flymo

Established Member
My most vivid memories of being a youngster was taking the old DMU from Newcastle to the coast from the old P1, P2 & P3 in Newcastle Central. Always preferred the ones via Longbenton rather than Wallsend. Never got to go via the Riverside branch unfortunately or if I did I can't remember it.
A few years later, seeing trains including HST's going from Newcastle to Edinburgh and beyond via the Tyne Valley which our house overlooked from Western Newcastle with the bus no. 20 or 21 chasing the HST's along Scotswood Road before the line was diverted via MetroCentre.
More recently ('82/'83-ish) I remember my first ever solo long trip which was Newcastle - Penzance, then back on the overnight to Paddington in a compartment, Tube to KX before back up to Newcastle, all for half fare. Also I will always remember that trip for the first time I saw the seawall at Dawlish and loved it since.
On summer Fridays, it became a great regular adventure to travel to Devon Friday night, spending the day in Torquay/Paignton and back up north Saturday afternoon.

nw1

Established Member
Guildford station in the 80s with a selection of CIGs and VEPs on the platforms (perhaps a HAP in one of the formations for good measure), plus the northbound IC to Manchester (47 + early Mk-II) standing on platform 5.

Or, away from my home area, Stafford station with electric-hauled northbound and southbound ICs to and from Birmingham standing on platforms 4 and 5 simultaneously; in some timetables they crossed at Stafford at roughly xx25.

Andy873

Having a day out to London as a young boy in the 1970's.

It was very exciting to stand on one of the main platforms at Preston, seeing non stop expresses bursting through, and when the London train arrived it was great to get on an inter city express.

I remember clearly the thrill of the train speeding up out of Preston and watching cars on the motorways trying to keep up with us - something that always made me smile.

Andy.

LowLevel

Established Member
Going on holiday to Exmouth in the 90s and catching the 150 around the coast to Dawlish then standing on the sea wall with my parents watching the loco hauled trains and HSTs passing by with an ice cream.

Carrying on to Paignton to ride the steam train to Kingswear then getting back to Newton Abbot with a solitary 153 rattling away to itself in the dark waiting to go down the branch.

Going to Chester Zoo and getting off the train from Birmingham in the bay to come face to face with a 37 on a rake of coaches on it's way to Holyhead and it raising the roof as it departed.

Catching the Shrewsbury to Lincoln train into Birmingham and seeing the list of request stops East of Nottingham. I asked my mum where Thurgarton was and she hadn't a clue. 20 plus years later I am well placed to know that it remains nowhere in particular - and as an example of how time moves slowly I am the guard on the same DMUs that I used to ride on as a toddler :lol:

Stout wicker crates of racing pigeons in transit on the down platform at Haywards Heath circa 1970.
Drop windows with leather straps on old Maunsell EMUs.
The echoing machine gun slamming of carriage doors at Brighton and Victoria.
The Brighton Belle in umber and cream livery.
Green enamel signs at stations.
Happy memories!

Ken H

On Moderation
Watching shunting in Scunthorpe yard from the long concrete bridge. Must have been 5 or less. Think they had Dowty retarders.
I did a few months at Frodingham Infants school next to the railway before we moved away in 1961.

Living by the S&C around 1980 watching cl 40/45/46 struggling with unfitted freights up the long drag. Used to be sparks coming from the wheels as they struggled to grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.