• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Personal Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

From your experience, what are recruiters looking for in a personal statement? Particularly in reference to a Train Manager/Guard type role. With no guidance on length given, how much is ideal? How much is too much?

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spikeylado

Hi,
Regarding your personal profile it is important to link it into the job description for the role your looking for? Pick out bits that are relevant to your personal experiences within the workplace. As regards length dont worry to much about that just dont waffle!
Which company are you trying with?

Bayum

Established Member
Whenever I go for teaching jobs, the expectation is no more than a page and a half, two pages for senior leadership.

The standard of written English is very high with emphasis on grammar, punctuation and being succinct. Your personal statement should read a little like a C.V., in that you discuss and showcase the skills and qualities you have in written form as opposed to a list of statements with. I expansion on the curriculum vitae.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Unfortunately I had to submit the application prior to seeing your replies, I saw the advert rather close to its closing. I didn't want to be too lengthy, so I did go for a succinct yet detailed overview of me and how this plays into the role. Of course, despite proof reading, and asking someone else to do the same, there is always that one error there after it's too late! Such is life, hopefully it gets me to the next stage!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
For the future, try and link in whatever you put into your personal statement to the person specification and the job description. When I worked in recruitment outside of the railway, common practice was to assign points for thing sin the statement that aligned with what the recruiting managers were looking for.

An example which stuck in my mind was an advert for a role which stressed that being reliable and having good timekeeping were essential rather than desirable. One applicant mentioned that in their spare time they were a member of an amateur theatre number, and explained how they have learned by experience it was vital to be reliable and punctual in attending rehearsals for the sake of the other participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.