• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough Station remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just checked (three sources), and the NVR is accessible only from the Down Slow at Fletton. There's no access to the Down Slow from the low-numbered platforms (anything east of the Down Fast) at the south end of Peterborough station, so I stand by my (correct) statement that there's no physical route to the NVR from platform 1.

Even if a physical route was available: just because a route isn't planned to 100% of its capacity, it doesn't necessarily follow that a path is available to cross four running lines and foul the overlap at the end of one of the Up platforms. Edwin's suggestion of using one of the higher-numbered through platforms is much more realistic anyway, so can we finally conclude that there was indeed little justification for retaining the old platform 1?

In the absence (for now) of a grade-separated junction at Werrington, it'd introduce unnecessary movements crossing the ECML, for starters. Given that EMT (or whoever ends up operating Lincs local services) are unlikely to end up operating a Wisbech service (would be very difficult to resource), it'd require co-operation between two TOCs. Would the timings work? Unlikely, I suspect, if sensible connections into and out of ECML services were to be provided on both routes. If the main demand from Wisbech is towards Cambridge, what (other than making it very difficult to get to Cambridge) would it achieve anyway?

Thanks for the info, so in fact FCC have had to use the fast lines then over the years, makes you wonder what is the logic

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Well at the very least a relocated 12car electric until siding to the north on the eastern side is about to come true as GN units will stop using the nene as part of thameslink and start using a new yard near eastfields (Spital sidings if I remember the plan correctly?)

Sorry to ask but ain't the new proposed yard just for the Class 700s with the Nene Yard still being used for the 365s, 317s/ 321s etc?

I remember one of the shunters saying something about them having to cover both yards when the new one is built so that to me means they will keep using the Nene for GN units.

poshfan

I have been in Doncaster today from Stamford, my outbound Stamford train used 6 and the return at 14.52 used 7 but I noticed the 15.52 was advertised as 5. My ECML trains used 4 northbound and 3 southbound as you would expect, but while waiting my connection back to Stamford the next southbound ECML stopper used 1. I thought maybe it was to allow a non stopper to overtake on 3 but no, after its stop the southbound just pulled out again and carried on, nothing came by.

Looking at the new track layout at the south end, it appears that 1-4 is ECML only, 6-7 is March only and 5 is either.

Something I noticed about the footbridge, the original part from 1 as far as 4/5 feels very solid - like walking on concrete - but the extension over to 6/7 feels flimsy, you can feel it bounce as you walk along.

ps. While changing at Peterborough on the way out - so that would be about 8.20 ish - an odd train passed through northbound. Diesel top and tailed with maybe 8 or so red coaches, I have a vague idea it is an old Virgin livery but maybe completely wrong about that (bit out of my area). Some kind of rail tour perhaps?

Last edited:

WestCountry

Thanks for the info, so in fact FCC have had to use the fast lines then over the years, makes you wonder what is the logic
They can't use the Down Slow from Fletton into P1-3, but doing so would cross the DF anyway so there'd be no actual advantage. The slow is still useful for freight or for anything terminating in P4/5 to go back into Nene Sidings.

Perhaps if the Huntingdon-Fletton quad-tracking is ever done there'll be a DS->DF crossover nearer the station?

D1009

Established Member
ps. While changing at Peterborough on the way out - so that would be about 8.20 ish - an odd train passed through northbound. Diesel top and tailed with maybe 8 or so red coaches, I have a vague idea it is an old Virgin livery but maybe completely wrong about that (bit out of my area). Some kind of rail tour perhaps?
Kings Cross to Hull charter according to RTT. No idea what it was to do with.

Class377/5

Established Member
Sorry to ask but ain't the new proposed yard just for the Class 700s with the Nene Yard still being used for the 365s, 317s/ 321s etc?

I remember one of the shunters saying something about them having to cover both yards when the new one is built so that to me means they will keep using the Nene for GN units.

The assumption was that the Class 700s is 5x 12 car in the new yard with the residual fleet (365) berthing in Nene CS.

Aictos

Established Member
The assumption was that the Class 700s is 5x 12 car in the new yard with the residual fleet (365) berthing in Nene CS.

That's the impression I got too, only thing I'm wondering about as it be only the residual fleet (365) using the Nene CS would they make any changes to the layout of the yard?

A-driver

Established Member

Well the master plan is that 317/21 will all disappear. The new sidings are for thameslink trains so I guess the nene may stay open for 365s. They have pushed the nene to the limit with the new 12 car roads so I would guess at the moment nothing more will be done to it.

Traditionally the nene is the Anglia yard anyway-that's why 1 road is the furthest road from the ECML, it's 1 road when counted from the march roads

Aictos

Established Member
Well the master plan is that 317/21 will all disappear. The new sidings are for thameslink trains so I guess the nene may stay open for 365s. They have pushed the nene to the limit with the new 12 car roads so I would guess at the moment nothing more will be done to it.

Traditionally the nene is the Anglia yard anyway-that's why 1 road is the furthest road from the ECML, it's 1 road when counted from the march roads

Any guesses where the 317s/321s would be cascaded to?

Status
Not open for further replies.