• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough Station to get £43m upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It has been a reoccurring item in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph for years. About time it is coming to something.

Aictos

Established Member
Indeed, luckily Peterborough is losing a platform but gaining three brand new platforms instead - bonus!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Just watching the vox pops, and the first man and the lady at the end made me smile. The man said that they should spend the money on getting the service to run on time instead, surely increasing the number of platforms will reduce congestion and conflicting movements which will improve performance? And the lady who said the money should be used on hospitals instead? Well, nice sentiment but that really isnt how economics work, is it? Maybe she should donate £50 to the local NHS trust instead of going out next weekend! ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
Just watching the vox pops, and the first man and the lady at the end made me smile. The man said that they should spend the money on getting the service to run on time instead, surely increasing the number of platforms will reduce congestion and conflicting movements which will improve performance? And the lady who said the money should be used on hospitals instead? Well, nice sentiment but that really isnt how economics work, is it? Maybe she should donate £50 to the local NHS trust instead of going out next weekend! ;)

You hear the same comments about HS2 - "wouldn't it be better spent on (insert project)..."

Ivo

Established Member
Good news for P'boro; delays are all too frequent there.

Seriously though, how many of the people that say things like this (the hospitals quote) actually travel by train? They have no idea how essential work like this is! Not to mention the folly of spending such money on projects like the NHS at present...

JohnCarlson

Good news for P'boro; delays are all too frequent there.

Seriously though, how many of the people that say things like this (the hospitals quote) actually travel by train? They have no idea how essential work like this is! Not to mention the folly of spending such money on projects like the NHS at present...

Indeed. I don't see why we need an NHS. There is nothing wrong with me.

John

amcluesent

_57289394_s1-1.jpg

Spot anything missing from the master-plan. Hint...the tracks!

Aictos

Established Member
Platform 2 and 3 being extended to take the 12 car Thameslink services, seeing as these platforms already do take 12 car FCCs as do Platforms 4 and 5 - are the rolling stock to operate these services going to be longer then the existing trains?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Platform 2 and 3 being extended to take the 12 car Thameslink services, seeing as these platforms already do take 12 car FCCs as do Platforms 4 and 5 - are the rolling stock to operate these services going to be longer then the existing trains?

If they are making them both reversible there may be slight modifications to signal stand back distances - it might not be a major distance to lengthen, just whatever is necessary to conform to current standards.

Might just mean the ramps being squared off for instance - that could give them almost half a carriage length at each end...

Also, just found this summary in the CP4 stuff - the third and fourth items might be the real explanation:

revised connections into the Nene sidings to provide 12x20m vehicle stabling sidings to
accommodate 317/319/365 type rolling stock and the future Thameslink Programme units;

a new signalled route from platforms 4 and 5 to the Up fast line at Fletton including a new main to
main crossover or relocation of Down main to Down slow turnout at Fletton junction;

10x26m vehicle IEP train operation in both directions in all of platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5;

allow 2x23m vehicle operation on Spalding line service either using a separate bay platform to the
eastern side of platform 2 or by permissive working on extended platforms 2 and 3 (platform
sharing with 12x20m vehicle trains of classes 317/319/365 and future Thameslink Programme
rolling stock);

improved linespeed to minimum of 50mph on Up slow to Up main turnout at Fletton junction;

new platform face on Up fast line with bi-directional signalling capable of handling 10x26m vehicle
IEP trains in both directions;

remove track from platform 4 and build platform out to Down fast line capable of handling 10x26m
vehicle IEP trains;

a flashing yellow sequence for Up trains running into platforms 2 and 3;

a 775m freight loop on Down March line at Peterborough East.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
This bit:
remove track from platform 4 and build platform out to Down fast line capable of handling 10x26m
vehicle IEP trains
So, with the additional face on the current P3, this will mean that all fast trains will passing through platforms? Can we have some of the anglo-scottish stops at peterborough (especially Inv/Abd trians) back please?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So, with the additional face on the current P3, this will mean that all fast trains will passing through platforms? Can we have some of the anglo-scottish stops at peterborough (especially Inv/Abd trians) back please?

That ought to be one of the benefits, as they'll reduce the speed restrictions over the junctions, especially in the up direction - indeed I just found this:

Allowing successive IEP trains to call at Peterborough on a four minute planning headway is an assumption of the latest IEP timetable produced by DfT’s consultants.

It occured to me that there'll have to be a renumbering as well, as with the option of a bay on the north end of the station as well, the new up fast platform would be P5, the current down side island P6/P7, and the new island for the XC trains (not mentioned in the above list) would then become P8/P9?

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's why it says "the current platform x" in all the stuff about it. The current platform 1 (south facing short bay) will vanish under the expanded building I think?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's why it says "the current platform x" in all the stuff about it. The current platform 1 (south facing short bay) will vanish under the expanded building I think?

Probably does, I haven't seen it mentioned in the capacity stuff though.

The CP4 stuff is confusing because it first introduces the new XC platforms as being 6 and 7, then goes on to explain how everything else gets altered - suggesting the numbers can't be right. However they could go for the cheapo solution with a 2, 2A, 3, 3A type numbering - as seen to an extent at Milton Keynes

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Given the extensive junction remoddeling etc with associated resignalling, I wouldn't have thought there should be an issue with giving all the post-remodelling platforms sequentila numbers starting at "1". "Workarounds" such as Kings Cross platofrm 0 are done to minimise changes where possible

PhilipW

This is the plan.

Platform 1, a bay platform, will be removed as the current platform 2 will be extended
Platform 2 becomes platform 1
Platform 3 becomes platform 2
New platform 3
Platform 4 remains platform 4
Platform 5 remains platform 5
New platform 6
New platform 7

I hope this clarifies everything. The Source of this information is the Newtwork Rail Press release

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is the plan.

Platform 1, a bay platform, will be removed as the current platform 2 will be extended
New platform 3
New platform 6
New platform 7

I hope this clarifies everything. The Source of this information is the Newtwork Rail Press release

:roll: was that always there? I could have sworn I read that press release all the way down before I posted it earlier. So that seriously updates the other stuff I posted from the October version of the CP4 plan - shows how quickly these things can change...

LE Greys

Established Member
So yet another station loses its through roads. At least this time there will still be the capacity to loop one down train in a platform to allow another to pass (unlike Swindon :roll: ). I do appreciate the extra stops, though (if we get them).

Flywaver

Let's hope the new Platforms at Peterborough have better facilities than platform 7/8 at Cambridge....

Aictos

Established Member
This is the plan.

New platform 3
New platform 6
New platform 7

Which surprise surprise is exactly what I said last month on the 25th November at 10:23 ;)

But the station will be bigger with not two new platforms but 3 new platforms, don't know about the concourse but there looks like there will be room made unless they use the space for more parking
icon_rolleyes.gif

(Not that there's anything wrong with parking but East Coast and Network Rail do need to look at converting least one car park to a multi story car park like Preston has then have a decent sized pick up point instead of blocking the access road in front of the station)

From what I learned from one of the managers was Platform 1 will be filled in as the existing Platform 2 will be extended southwards with a new platform being provided for the Up Fast on the other side of the existing Platform 3 and a island platform for the Anglia to Midlands services sited on the existing goods lines.

As a result then:

Platform 2 will be renumbered to Platform 1
Platform 3 will be renumbered to Platform 2
New platform for the Up Fast will be numbered Platform 3
Platforms 4 & 5 will remain as they are
New platforms for the Anglia to Midlands services will be numbered Platform 6 & 7

Lifts will then be available to all platforms.

As Platform 1 is going to be filled in, I don't know if they will relocate the booking office back and demolish the existing booking office to enlarge the concourse but I hope they will.

Amazing what the search tool can do is it? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.