• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

peterborough station

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelander

Hi all, notice that ticket barriers are in place at the station, any one know if you can gain access to the platforms without a ticket, before was able to gain access via the tuck shop exit or just walk through the entrance, going next week for a couple of days

regards freelander.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railnerd

Hi.

You shouldnt have any problems at Peterborough. I presume you wanna trainspot. Just tell a member of staff why your there. Most are fairly affable and the natives are friendly.
You will soon suss out the best spotting points. Crowds of anoraks like me are a clue!
Best time is around 14.00 to 17.00 hrs.
Enjoy!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Hi all, notice that ticket barriers are in place at the station, any one know if you can gain access to the platforms without a ticket, before was able to gain access via the tuck shop exit or just walk through the entrance, going next week for a couple of days

regards freelander.

Barriers are in place, but adjacent gate and info counter is permanently manned. I notice that the gates are typically open and tickets go unchecked after 1900 on weekdays, which seems to be missing a serious flow of revenue from the capital.

SouthStand

regards freelander.

Christ, that was some time ago!

LDECRexile

Established Member

regards freelander.

I don't understand, why do you want to gain access without a ticket?

Why not travel there by train, have fun en route and when there whilst benefitting the railway rather than having to drive?

Don't know about weekdays but on a Saturday the gates are open all morning but appear to be closed from lunchtime onwards
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite funny actually as once I went there on a Saturday FCC decided to do a block and stood at the door on entrance to the platform whilst the gates were open behind them lol, but that was only once out of about 100 Saturdays I have been there

Having said all this it might have changed now Virgin have taken over

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I politely asked you why you wanted to gain access without a ticket.

My very positive and helpful reply is as follows:

If your intentions are honourable, such as seeing someone off (for two days) or trainspotting then do as railnerd says and make yourself known to station staff.

If you are testing security for someone such as Virgin, then good luck to you.

If you are up to no good then I sincerely hope you are apprehended and prosecuted.

My replies seek to be helpful to all, not just you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aictos

Established Member
Don't know about weekdays but on a Saturday the gates are open all morning but appear to be closed from lunchtime onwards
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite funny actually as once I went there on a Saturday FCC decided to do a block and stood at the door on entrance to the platform whilst the gates were open behind them lol, but that was only once out of about 100 Saturdays I have been there

Having said all this it might have changed now Virgin have taken over

No that still happens, VTEC and GTR do joint blocks from time to time sometimes even XC join in!

Status
Not open for further replies.