• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petition: Campaign for Equal Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
and more the reason for something to be done about it, again I doubt this Goverment would be willing to make any moves towards erdicating predjuice. But who knows, we may be surprised....:)

It's not predjudice, it's proberbly a combination of fear, disengagement and apethy...

They don't want to teach sex education in schools as it is, let alone anything that might have pearants complaining to the governors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
It's not predjudice, it's proberbly a combination of fear, disengagement and apethy...

They don't want to teach sex education in schools as it is, let alone anything that might have pearants complaining to the governors.

Thats true, so maybe a reason for educating the adults. Its important that kids learn about sex, sexuality and such like. Sadly 'outraged from Epping' will still write angrilly to a certain newspaper and certain conservative polititians would shout blue murder and complain about children losing their childhood by being taught about something that is pretty dangerous when they find out for themselves.

Makes you wonder how other Countries manage the topic of sex education

junglejames

Established Member
I'd actually very much like to know what possible argument against it could come from non-homophobic grounds, so if anyone does hold such an opinion, would like to hear it.

By all means. Very simple really. Some people think some things shouldnt change. Easy.
Im not religious in any way shape or form. Im not a Tory in any way shape or form, and Im not homophobic in any way shape or form. However to me, there are some things that shouldnt be changed, and that includes the fact marriage should be between a man and woman. I really think that shouldnt change. If 2 people wish to become involved in a homosexual relationship, then thats brilliant, but you have to realise that certain things shouldnt be open to you. Mainly marriage, and the right to have children or to adopt children.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
By all means. Very simple really. Some people think some things shouldnt change. Easy.
Im not religious in any way shape or form. Im not a Tory in any way shape or form, and Im not homophobic in any way shape or form. However to me, there are some things that shouldnt be changed, and that includes the fact marriage should be between a man and woman. I really think that shouldnt change. If 2 people wish to become involved in a homosexual relationship, then thats brilliant, but you have to realise that certain things shouldnt be open to you. Mainly marriage, and the right to have children or to adopt children.

For what reason, may I ask?

Why can two people of the same sex who are in love with each other and want to spend their lives with each other not get married? Why can a loving couple who happen to be the same sex not adopt a child?

Badger

but you have to realise that certain things shouldnt be open to you. Mainly marriage, and the right to have children or to adopt children.

On who's authority? I don't have to at all.

junglejames

Established Member
I'll ask again. Even though you don't want to get married and be like the norms, why should you prevent those of us who do?

Because he doesnt agree with it. I dont agree with it. You going to attack me now? Why havent you attacked others that dont agree with it? Or do you quietly think all homosexuals should agree with the same things? Because thats what it looks like from here.

Nym

Established Member
Because he doesnt agree with it. I dont agree with it. You going to attack me now? Why havent you attacked others that dont agree with it? Or do you quietly think all homosexuals should agree with the same things? Because thats what it looks like from here.

Nothing like taking a quote out of context there, it was sod all to do with your point there...

scotsman

Established Member
[SNIP] Im not homophobic in any way shape or form. However to me, there are some things that shouldnt be changed, and that includes the fact marriage should be between a man and woman. I really think that shouldnt change. If 2 people wish to become involved in a homosexual relationship, then thats brilliant, but you have to realise that certain things shouldnt be open to you. Mainly marriage, and the right to have children or to adopt children.

Somewhat contradictory.

TheJRB

Established Member

But maybe "you have to realise" that we're in the 21st Century now and that just because things were one way at one time, doesn't mean they should stay that way. If nothing changed, we'd still be writing on stone tablets, living in wooden huts and go no further than ten miles in our whole lives...

blanco

is it wrong to say that the thought of two guys going at it makes me queasy but the thought of two chicks really gets me going :)

TheJRB

Established Member
is it wrong to say that the thought of two guys going at it makes me queasy but the thought of two chicks really gets me going :)

I really don't mind how right or wrong it is that you feel a certain way over specific mental images. I'm just so pleased you shared that deep and insightful message with all of us. :roll:

richw

Veteran Member
As far as i am concerned it doesn't affect my life if a man wants to marry a man, if they love each other let them marry. It ain't hurting me or causing me problems so why bother with worrying who marries who.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

blanco

If you're male, yes, why would them 'two chicks' have any intrest in doing anything with you?

i've seen the movies, everyone knows they just haven't had a real man yet.

It just makes you a hypocrite to be fair

not really, that would like saying it's hypocritical to like cheese and onion crisps while disliking salt and vinegar.

I really don't mind how right or wrong it is that you feel a certain way over specific mental images. I'm just so pleased you shared that deep and insightful message with all of us. :roll:

i didn't notice the "intellectuals only" sign on the way in.

junglejames

Established Member
For what reason, may I ask?

Why can two people of the same sex who are in love with each other and want to spend their lives with each other not get married? Why can a loving couple who happen to be the same sex not adopt a child?

Brilliant. People are asked for reasons. I give a reason, and im asked for a reason for my reason.

junglejames

Established Member
Do you believe that women should have realised that voting shouldn't be open to them?
After all, some people thought that shouldn't change.

No i dont believe that, because i also said that i believe certain things shouldnt change. Women and voting arent included in these things that i believe shouldnt change.

Badger

So your argument is "you have to accept that *this arbitrary list of things I have chosen* shouldn't be changed"?

junglejames

Established Member
Somewhat contradictory.

No not at all. I said quite clearly my reasoning was because i think some things shouldnt change. Its got nowt to do with homophobia. I made it all quite clear, so please dont now come back and call me homophobic, or hint that my views are homophobic.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
No not at all. I said quite clearly my reasoning was because i think some things shouldnt change. Its got nowt to do with homophobia. I made it all quite clear, so please dont now come back and call me homophobic, or hint that my views are homophobic.

Nobody (as far as I can see) has called you homophobic, it just seems a bit odd that you can make a statement but not really back it up with any real reason apart from you don't agree with it

junglejames

Established Member
So your argument is "you have to accept that *this arbitrary list of things I have chosen* shouldn't be changed"?

Nope, my argument is that they are my beliefs. One part of my original post may not have made that perfectly clear, but i did say at the start that 'i believe'. They are my beliefs.

So, you have to accept that I have beliefs, and that one of them is that marriage as it is, shouldnt be changed, and that marriage as it is (ie open to 2 people of the opposite sex) is included in that.
Just like I accept your beliefs. I wholeheartedly accept the beliefs of the OP. However I have beliefs as well.

Badger

Because I think it would highlight why "nothing changing" is a bit odd...

I've never really introduced myself here and I'm sorry for being overly dramatic, but I am a transwoman (please, hold back any image you have in your mind on the matter, it's probably wrong) but I am also a lesbian. I'm bringing this up because there's a peculiar matter with that, in that the church doesn't believe it exists. Even sex changes are "not recognised".

Now what does that mean? Under a "nothing should change" policy, I can, right now, marry my girlfriend and have a homosexual relationship. I cannot, however, find a man and have a straight relationship. Now this is clearly contradictory with most of the above... because if "nothing should change", then you're permitting me a homosexual relationship. :)

Unfortunately transgender people are discriminated against in other ways too. I cannot give blood, for example.

But, quite happily, I can have a big church wedding with two people in a dress. Lovely. :) (Sorry for bringing personal issues into this, I just thought the situation would nicely show the fallacy in nothing changing.)

junglejames

Established Member
Nobody (as far as I can see) has called you homophobic, it just seems a bit odd that you can make a statement but not really back it up with any real reason apart from you don't agree with it

What I said was called hypocritical. So that is hinting that my beliefs may be homophobic afterall.

I did give a reason. My reason was mainly to do with my beliefs, yes, but thats what most statements on here are. Th OP agrees with gay marriage. His reasons are virtually all to do with his beliefs.

Badger

They're not homophobic, but by definition they are discriminatory against homosexual people, since that is the only difference in the situation at hand to base the decision on what should and shouldn't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.