• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Filled up on Wednesday and it cost 140.9p per litre for petrol at a Sainsbury's site in East Manchester.

Diesel was a few pence more.

How much are folk having to pay elsewhere around the country?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
137.9p for petrol at Sainsbury's Penzance, a penny or so dearer at Tesco and Morrison's, but 6 to 10p dearer in every other garage between Penzance and the outskirts of Truro.

Big Tim

144.9 for Diesel at Sainsbury’s in York earlier in the week (Tuesday if I remember rightly)
Stopped at a BP near Anstruther yesterday - 149.9 for Diesel
Petrol about 4p a litre less afaik

dk1

Veteran Member
I must say I never know how much petrol is but then I’m not a big driver of road vehicles. Maybe fill up once every 6 weeks tops. More worried about getting nectar points if I’m honest.

bspahh

Established Member
At Sainsburys in Ely, diesel was 138.9p/L today. Petrol was 140.9p/L

david1212

Established Member
I last paid £134.9 for standard unleaded but since then I have watched the price creep up. By last Monday at the ASDA I pass it was £140.7.
The Morrisons near work is the same and £143.7 or £143.9 for diesel.
The BP last week was £144.9 petrol and £149.9 diesel.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I can’t remember when I last saw an Esso garage. Must be 20+ years.
Loads in the North West, got gradually bought up over the years by the entrepreneurial brothers Mohsin and Zuber Issa from Blackburn, who have since taken over the Asda supermarket chain from Walmart in a leveraged deal. Petrol/diesel from local Esso sites no longer as comparatively cheap as it once was, though, maybe 6p per litre more than it can be obtained elsewhere.

Last edited:

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I haven't been using my car so much recently and I last filled it up around the time of the 'panic buying' fiasco a few weeks ago.

I drove past my local Tesco garage last night and unleaded is now £1.40 a litre - I am sure it was £1.35 when I last filled the car up.

The supermarket forecourts are generally the best places for competitively priced fuel.

Fuel is definitely the most expensive it has ever been. Rishi Sunak has put a freeze on fuel duty at last week's budget.

Even with all this hype over the increase in minimum wage, I doubt it will make any difference with the rise in household bills and the cost of living.

CJ

birchesgreen

Established Member
Loads of Essos in B'ham too, price at them varies a fair bit, one near me is 141.9, saw another (nearer the city centre) which was 144.9.

davews

Lots of cheap petrol around it seems... not here in Bracknell, local BP now 147.9 (E10) and diesel above 150.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But the fuel is more expensive
As long as it is no more than 5p / litre more expensive you can still get a better deal with the nectar app.

As you say, some places the differential will be greater than 5p.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Fuel light came on when I was driving to Andover on Friday so when I was driving home I passed an Esso & Shell in Andover wanting 149.9 a litre for petrol, but the Texaco in Weyhill wanted 138.9 a litre (so I filled up)

Crazy at the difference in price.

david1212

Established Member
When I passed ASDA this morning petrol up from yesterday by 2p/litre to 142.7p and diesel now 145.7p, I can't recall the diesel price yesterday.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
It's amazing to think that 21 years ago, the UK nearly grinded to a halt when the farmer's picketed the oil refineries because fuel reached £1 a litre.

The garage near me did drop down to 99p a litre around April last year (2020), during the height of the first Covid lockdown, when everyone literally stayed at home for several weeks.

To think that a litre of fuel has gone up at least 40p in 18 months is quite frightening.

CJ

ABB125

Established Member
The Motorway Services are pushing close to £1.60 a litre for diesel.

CJ
They've been doing that for a goof few months now - £1.56.9 seemed to be the prevailing rate in July/August at services when I was doing a fair amount of long-distance driving, though I did see £1.59.9 somewhere (can't remember where though). Needless to say, no service station received my custom!
I haven't driven anywhere for about 1.5 months, so can't comment on more recent pricing.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
They've been doing that for a goof few months now - £1.56.9 seemed to be the prevailing rate in July/August at services when I was doing a fair amount of long-distance driving, though I did see £1.59.9 somewhere (can't remember where though). Needless to say, no service station received my custom!
I haven't driven anywhere for about 1.5 months, so can't comment on more recent pricing.

I made the mistake of calling at the M56 Chester services (near Helsby) recently - when I saw the prices, I drove on straight across the forecourt without stopping.

CJ

DelW

Established Member
I was surprised when I called at one of the M4 services in Wales in the summer, that their fuel prices were the same as I'd paid on the way to the motorway. I think it was either Cardiff West or Magor (I called at both on different trips).

More up to date, my local Jet station jumped from 138.9 to 141.9 for petrol last week. Still the cheapest locally though, I think.

The Ham

Established Member
Fuel in my local garages appears* to have gone up by a few pence a week over the last few weeks.

* As I walk past them I'm not paying all that much attention and we don't do kids of driving noisy of the time anyway (especially now my wife only goes into work once or twice a week).