• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photocards- expiry dates and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

adtrainz

I have an Annual Season w/ a photocard, which is valid until 21 April 2012.

However, my Season needs to be renewed for another year on 01 January, and my question is this:

When would I need to get a new photocard, in January or April?

And also, would there be a charge at either of these times?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Photocards don't expire. Your ticket does. When you renew your ticket, you keep the same photocard.

A lost photocard will cost you between £10 and £20 depending on TOC.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Season ticket photocards do not have expiry dates, unless it is a special type of photocards that I am not aware of.

I have had my current photocard for five years. I have known people who have held theirs for decades!

adtrainz

It definitely has "Valid until 21/04/12" on it. It's child rate, does that make any difference?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Some regional photocards do have expiry dates, as do child photocards.

The System One photocard in Greater Manchester has an expiry date for example.

If you are getting a rail only season, it is possible you will not need to change it, however if you do need to change it, it would be advisable (if not required) that you do so before the season ticket is issued. You may be able to use the same photo.

In the case of child rate cards it might be the case that you can only buy a child rate season for the duration it is valid for, I'd have to check the FRPP to be sure.

adtrainz

@Greenback No, that is not when I cease to be a child.

@hairyhandedfool Thanks, I am now wondering whether it would be chargeable or not. Would it be treated as a replacement?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you hold a season when you change it, you could be charged (as the ticket would need to be changed too), but that presumes that you can get a season for a time longer than your photocard is valid, I have a feeling you can't.

The simplest option is to change it before you buy the season.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Agreed. You may have problems getting a season that lasts beyond the validity of the photocard.

Status
Not open for further replies.