• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographic Smart Cards. A good thing or a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

As far as I know, ScotRail and GWR are the only TOC's requiring Smart Card applications to include a photograph. Is this to maximise profits by ensuring that only the applicant uses the Smart Card or is there another reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As far as I know, ScotRail and GWR are the only TOC's requiring Smart Card applications to include a photograph. Is this to maximise profits by ensuring that only the applicant uses the Smart Card or is there another reason?

If the ticket is not transferrable, then it makes sense.

farci

I think fraud is a problem to be addressed - so no problem. Otherwise, why have revenue protection staff?

Peter C

Established Member
I know for a fact some (maybe all) banks require people to send photographs (and videos in certain circumstances) of themselves with relevant documentation to show that they are
1 - the person they say they are
2 - not a robot

The video bit is just to prove 100% that you own the documentation, you are who you say you are, and therefore not a spammer.
I assume the TOCs are trying to ensure that people don't use things like bots online to send 100s of requests for Smart Cards.
So what @Bletchleyite said essentially. :D

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.