• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographing semaphore signals on southern region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potterlad

Hi All

I'm currently trying to get out and about to take photographs of the last remaining semaphore signals on the network and I'd like to know if / where there any still in use on the southern region. I'm afraid my knowledge of the 'southern' is very limited (actually non existent) so any advice / suggestions of locations etc would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Off the top of my head I think your main area is going to be north Thanet. On the old South Western Division I can only think of Marchwood and on the Central there may still be one or two locations: Littlehampton(?), Reigate (?).

Dave W

If you go to Littlehampton then a quick duck and dive along the coast to Bognor Regis would also bear fruit (I think!)

Veteran Member
Deal is the nearest you'll get to Thanet I'm afraid.
The Medway Valley still has local boxes but the signals are c/l :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When I last visited in May 2021, Bognor Regis still had semaphores, I am not aware of that being due to change since then. Please see attached a photo from my favourite West Sussex destination :) The station building is also worth admiring (in my opinion).

I didn't take photos at Littlehampton, I only just made it onto the service of choice as the rain had started. 30 extra minutes in Littlehampton, during a week of high winds, with rain was not desirable in any way! Sadly, I don't recall if the semaphores were still there but I think they were.

While it's not in your area of interest, if semaphores are your thing then make sure you plan a trip to Worcester Shrub Hill. Plenty of semaphores there!

Attachments

• 20210504_144143.jpg
    20210504_144143.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24

Western Sunset

Established Member
Off the top of my head I think your main area is going to be north Thanet. On the old South Western Division I can only think of Marchwood and on the Central there may still be one or two locations: Littlehampton(?), Reigate (?).
No semaphores at Reigate, though the working signal box by the level crossing is easy to photo.

Potterlad

Thanks all for your replies. As I thought not many left sadly - I'll head off to Bognor / Hastings / Littlehampton and I'll give Deal a go as well.

Techniquest's reply got me thinking / reminiscing :lol:. It must be 10 years or so since I was last at Worcester SH - I really must get back there sometime soon before its too late.

steamybrian

Established Member
Littlehampton- taken 5th June 2021

Attachments

• L'ton050621-1.JPG
    L'ton050621-1.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks all for your replies. As I thought not many left sadly - I'll head off to Bognor / Hastings / Littlehampton and I'll give Deal a go as well.

Techniquest's reply got me thinking / reminiscing :lol:. It must be 10 years or so since I was last at Worcester SH - I really must get back there sometime soon before its too late.

From what I've been led to believe you will have a good few years yet to sample them in Worcester. Ledbury is half colour lights, half semaphores with an easy to photograph signal box. Malvern Wells signal box, I don't know if you can photo it from a road side but while visible from trains it is hard to get a good photo. I *think* Droitwich Spa also has its semaphores still, with the signal box clearly visible from trains, but again hard to get a good photo of. Pretty sure they haven't changed that area yet.

If you visit the area, and want any advice, please feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can organise :)

_toommm_

Established Member
There’s some great semaphore locations on this website - they’re not all London-centric, but if you’re ever further afield it’s great. I’ve linked Worcester as an example:

Potterlad

From what I've been led to believe you will have a good few years yet to sample them in Worcester. Ledbury is half colour lights, half semaphores with an easy to photograph signal box. Malvern Wells signal box, I don't know if you can photo it from a road side but while visible from trains it is hard to get a good photo. I *think* Droitwich Spa also has its semaphores still, with the signal box clearly visible from trains, but again hard to get a good photo of. Pretty sure they haven't changed that area yet.

If you visit the area, and want any advice, please feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can organise :)
Thanks for the offer - Malvern / Droitwich is an area I've never been to.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the offer - Malvern / Droitwich is an area I've never been to.

Droitwich is nothing special in my opinion, but if you enjoy rural walking then Malvern will be for you!

I've been in Shrewsbury today (trip report coming up later, currently on the way back) and you have absolutely plenty of semaphores there to enjoy if you're interested. It is also home to the largest manual signal box still in operation, and it is huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.