• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pilning footbridge & station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilning

Pilning does seem to be a candidate for a 'parkway' station, granted that road access would need some attention, but otherwise all of the ingredients seem to be there.
Of course, there is little obvious traffic in the immediate local area at present but within 10/15 minutes drive the potential catchment area is significant, especially with a 15 minute journey to central Bristol, where parking costs about £10 per day.
With so many services passing through, this must be a missed opportunity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Pilning does seem to be a candidate for a 'parkway' station, granted that road access would need some attention, but otherwise all of the ingredients seem to be there.
Of course, there is little obvious traffic in the immediate local area at present but within 10/15 minutes drive the potential catchment area is significant, especially with a 15 minute journey to central Bristol, where parking costs about £10 per day.
With so many services passing through, this must be a missed opportunity.

Ideally, such a parkway station would be closer to a motorway intersection for those getting there by road, but also in an area with homes and businesses within walking distance to generate some non-car borne passengers. Somewhere perhaps a few miles to the east. I wonder what we could call it.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Ideally, such a parkway station would be closer to a motorway intersection for those getting there by road, but also in an area with homes and businesses within walking distance to generate some non-car borne passengers. Somewhere perhaps a few miles to the east. I wonder what we could call it.

Bristol Parkway?

Parallel

Established Member

Patchway Parkway?

;)

Pilning

Very good. The point is however that travel by road to Bristol Parkway during the peak hours from somewhere like Thornbury can take 30-40 minutes and it costs £7.60 or so to park, which effectively rules the route out as an option to commute into Bristol from that starting point, whereas Pilning is less than 15 minutes away and the option to provide cheaper parking certainly exists, if desired although I accept that in reality it's not going to happen anytime soon.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Would the local roads be able to take an influx of extra cars, as I expect everyone would soon start rat running through Tockington.

w1bbl3

Thornbury users would surely head to Yate.

In terms of catchment the poor transport access from the west and south surely limits the effective catchment to the local villages only, the only motorway access being via Aust which limits you to wales traffic or wrong way travellers via amondsbury interchange.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thornbury users would surely head to Yate.

In terms of catchment the poor transport access from the west and south surely limits the effective catchment to the local villages only, the only motorway access being via Aust which limits you to wales traffic or wrong way travellers via amondsbury interchange.

I doubt it! Have you seen the type and standard of roads between Thornbury and Yate?

w1bbl3

I doubt it! Have you seen the type and standard of roads between Thornbury and Yate?

Yup, the route the Pilning via Tockington and Pilning St is worst. At least to reach Yate you can go A38 > Church Rd > Yate road and avoid narrow lanes.

WessexBus Info

Pilning would only get a like for like replacement - footbridge with steps, no accessible access. Disabled pax given taxi or alternative option for their journey under the reasonable adjustment.

If I were FOSBR, I'd be supporting the removal of the footbridge, rapid completion of electrification and then working on re-building the station to support much more frequent services, with a little station building and at least an accessible bridge if not perhaps a bridge fitted with lifts.

I'd also tend to think putting the platforms on avoiding lines rather than the through lines would be a wise idea in the longer run, so dropping the footbridge idea for now would make that goal more achievable longer term.

Hello, a train station only gets used if it only has services. There are many workers here and the station gets only 2 trains a week on Saturday. If there was more services the stress would be taken off the roads and Pilning would be more popular with a new railway bridge in demand. Us, Wessex Bus, have been trying to help the traffic problem for ages now. It is no use. Pilning Station is the answer.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Hello, a train station only gets used if it only has services. There are many workers here and the station gets only 2 trains a week on Saturday. If there was more services the stress would be taken off the roads and Pilning would be more popular with a new railway bridge in demand. Us, Wessex Bus, have been trying to help the traffic problem for ages now. It is no use. Pilning Station is the answer.

Welcome to the Forum. In terms of priority, Pilning is very low down the scale and in fact is off it. As a local activist I would have thought you would have been aware of what the Bristol Metro plans are, but they don't include this station, which is simply 'open' to save legal costs.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The weekly Parliamentary train due to call at Pilning, 0759 Cardiff to Taunton, didn't run today between Cardiff Cen and Bristol TM due to "more trains than usual needing repair" (The current GWR daily situation). So, 0830 Cardiff Cen to Portsmouth Hbr called in lieu and according to somebody travelling, there were quite a number of people joining. Tweet to GWR Twitter Feed

Established Member
The weekly Parliamentary train due to call at Pilning, 0759 Cardiff to Taunton, didn't run today between Cardiff Cen and Bristol TM due to "more trains than usual needing repair" (The current GWR daily situation). So, 0830 Cardiff Cen to Portsmouth Hbr called in lieu and according to somebody travelling, there were quite a number of people joining. Tweet to GWR Twitter Feed
Pilning has gotten quite a bit of publicity over the last year, and I think Geoff Marshall's 'All the Stations' was actually a driving factor of that, as it has encouraged more than 2 people a week to get on the train! Numbers are a bit more 'family-sized', if you will.

takno

Established Member
Pilning has gotten quite a bit of publicity over the last year, and I think Geoff Marshall's 'All the Stations' was actually a driving factor of that, as it has encouraged more than 2 people a week to get on the train! Numbers are a bit more 'family-sized', if you will.
I reckon people need to think ahead more on this. Visiting the least popular stations *last* year isn't that interesting. You need to predict what the 5 least popular stations are going to be this year and make sure you are one of the 20 people or whatever who visited them.

Status
Not open for further replies.